• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I don't really like how big Porygon looks when you get it from the GTS or something, haha. When the swap bit occurs, it's as lengthy as Groudon, or Blastoise etc. And Porygon-Z looks smaller... ;-;

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I don't really like how big Porygon looks when you get it from the GTS or something, haha. When the swap bit occurs, it's as lengthy as Groudon, or Blastoise etc. And Porygon-Z looks smaller... ;-;

I was quite sure Porygon was supposed to get smaller as it evolves (Just like any new system/ control etc.).

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
For the most part i love the 3d, especially the animation of flying types!
One Pokemon that really weirded me out was Sentret. First of all he is way fatter than i thought and secondly, he doesnt balance on its tail!!

161.png

Sneakyarrow

Pokemon Breader
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Typhlosion's lack of flames is the worst part of the new 3d models. It hasn't changed my opinion of him, he's still my favorite Pokémon but it just doesn't look right.

Amen. I played with my Cinder SO much when I was playing HeartGold. I thought something was wrong when I first him transferred him over.

Also, I agree that Purrloin just looks weird standing up on two legs.

overdid

queen
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
It has it's ups and down.

Pokemon sizes can be confusing,
funny or learn you something new.

Magikarp in general, I feel bad for the little fish.
Not even Gamefreak is taking him seriously.

And I never use the 3D function...
It can give me such a headache.

The visuals for the rest are beautiful.

Years
I came across a Machamp the other day and my god it's lips were horrifying. I never realised they looked like that!

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I love the 3d models. i love even the overworld 3dness.. so much so that when I try to replay Fire Red, B/W, B2, I can't stand it anymore.. it looks so dull and flat :|

also i hate being stuck on a grid in previous gen now that I am spoiled by the freedom of 360 degree movement in X&Y with the skates and bike.

I tried really hard to replay Black 2 back in December after 2 months of playing Pokemon X (I wiped my save) and after a few hours i couldn't stand it anymore and had to put it down and never touched it again other than for Pokemon Bank purposes... Also the music, battle effects, etc are also unappealing in Black 2 as compared to X&Y.

Years
I love the 3d models. i love even the overworld 3dness.. so much so that when I try to replay Fire Red, B/W, B2, I can't stand it anymore.. it looks so dull and flat :|

also i hate being stuck on a grid in previous gen now that I am spoiled by the freedom of 360 degree movement in X&Y with the skates and bike.

I tried really hard to replay Black 2 back in December after 2 months of playing Pokemon X (I wiped my save) and after a few hours i couldn't stand it anymore and had to put it down and never touched it again other than for Pokemon Bank purposes... Also the music, battle effects, etc are also unappealing in Black 2 as compared to X&Y.

I know how you feel... the 3D is just so cool it'll be hard for me to go back to playing an older Pokemon game. It all feels quite flat compared to what we're seeing in X and Y.

Also, on the topic, I once hated Relicanth in previous games due to how weird its sprite looked, but once I saw its 3D model I think I have now fallen in love with the brown fishy. Game Freak did a great job on making me fall in love with Pokemon I never previously loved.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
archeops.gif

I've never noticed this until now, but the way Archeops' head and neck are laid-out seem to resemble a snake. That, if you ask me, is sort of freaky. Plus, its eyes look completely flat, which doesn't help make it better at all.

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
I've never noticed this until now, but the way Archeops' head and neck are laid-out seem to resemble a snake. That, if you ask me, is sort of freaky. Plus, its eyes look completely flat, which doesn't help make it better at all.

it's design is suppose to be a dinosaur bird, so lizard/reptile bird in other words :P Gamefreak nailed it perfectly.

Shhmew

Years
When I first saw X&Y was being released, I was pretty sad they were going to be 3D models. I'm a pretty big fan of sprites and I figured the 3D would be really clunky and unappealing... and just... not like Pokemon, you know?

I'm pretty pleased with how most of it turned out, though. The only thing that upsets me about the 3D models is how flames look. Everything looks nicely rounded except flames-- they look flat as paper. I thought Mega Charizard X had an awesome design, but then when I saw its 3D model, the flames coming out of its mouth really disappointed me.
charizard-megax.gif

It has a solid black sort of outline, and just... doesn't look like a flame. Again, it looks like paper is just flopping out of its mouth. For this reason I actually like Mega Charizard Y more, even though the flame on its tail is still weird. Look at any pokemon with flames and it has the same issue for me. :C Just doesn't look like real flames.

Examples:
Spoiler:

However, that's really the only thing. Most pokemon look spectacular with their 3D model. In particular the pokemon that fly in the air look so stunning. I didn't like Noivern's design at all until I saw its 3D model flapping around, and it looked sooo much cooler.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings >w<

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
When I first saw X&Y was being released, I was pretty sad they were going to be 3D models. I'm a pretty big fan of sprites and I figured the 3D would be really clunky and unappealing... and just... not like Pokemon, you know?

I'm pretty pleased with how most of it turned out, though. The only thing that upsets me about the 3D models is how flames look. Everything looks nicely rounded except flames-- they look flat as paper. I thought Mega Charizard X had an awesome design, but then when I saw its 3D model, the flames coming out of its mouth really disappointed me.

It has a solid black sort of outline, and just... doesn't look like a flame. Again, it looks like paper is just flopping out of its mouth. For this reason I actually like Mega Charizard Y more, even though the flame on its tail is still weird. Look at any pokemon with flames and it has the same issue for me. :C Just doesn't look like real flames.

However, that's really the only thing. Most pokemon look spectacular with their 3D model. In particular the pokemon that fly in the air look so stunning. I didn't like Noivern's design at all until I saw its 3D model flapping around, and it looked sooo much cooler.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings >w<

you know what xD yes! when i first played X, i too though charizard's flames were pretty bleh.. flat and wtf.. however at least the flamethrower or other fire attack animations aren't flat looking :)!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I actually love Magikarp's idle animation. I think it's great.

As for disappointments though, I'd have to say my biggest was Togekiss' sprite. He's one of my favorite Pokemon in terms of design and I have to say I liked his sprites way better than the floating marshmallow of his 3D model. His crest and wings just seemed better defined in the sprites. Now he's more "blobby."

Xerneas_X

Raven
Years
one thing i do have to say about the 3d models is they are pretty much exactly as we have seen them in the Anime. every pokemon from Pikachu to Mewtwo to Snivy to Arceus and even the 6th gen pokemon..

So we all already have seen alot of these pokemon if you watched the anime sometime.. so it isn't any surprise how they turned out in X&Y as we already have seen them in "3D" on TV.

Even the comment above, Togekiss looks exactly in the Anime as it does in the game :)!
like this:
f8n3.png
vs
togekiss.gif

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Even the comment above, Togekiss looks exactly in the Anime as it does in the game :)!
like this:
f8n3.png
vs
togekiss.gif

I agree that its basic design is the same and the issue isn't the general body shape it's that its wings are better defined in the picture than in the model. I can clearly see where its body ends and its wings begin in the picture. Coupled with that is the fact that the wings are usually slanted in its sprites, further defining them from the body. In the model they just seem to meld into each other so it looks like a blob and the result is unappealing.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I don't like how Flareon sticks its tail up. =/
It should have been...I dunno, fluffy and wavey-ish?

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
archeops.gif

I like Archeops - it's flapping enough to be feasible.

Unlike Salamence, BLEUGH

Back