• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like Archeops - it's flapping enough to be feasible.

Unlike Salamence, BLEUGH

Yeah, I was never into the flying pokes that just float there. Just doesn't seem right. Unless, you know, they are suppossed to float there. And Gyarados

Years
  • You know, after some looking at the models I admit that they did ruin some Pokemon for me, namely Tropius, Skarmory, Xatu and Swellow. Seeing them glide after like, so many generations of them standing is just like, a massive change.

357.png
    227.png
    178.png
    277.png

I know they're making them hover to show them being eligible for a sky battle but still it's so weird because I'm so used to their previous sprites depicting them standing on their own feet as opposed to just "gliding" like that.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
    Years
  • I never noticed how much Tyranitar looks like Godzilla until I saw its 3D model. Also, 3D Hydreigon is just cute for some reason, I mean it flails around in Pokemon Amie.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I used to be very indifferent towards Archeops. His B/W sprite looked like it was trying way too hard to make an intimidating face. When I first saw his X/Y model in-game though, I fell in love with the chubby, derpy bird that can barely stay airborne. An intensionally derpy Pokemon is much better than a Pokemon that tries to look cool but fails, imo.
    Also, Sableye's twitching (he is now officially a psycho).

I agree, they both look much better in 3D.

Confagrius was the epitome of meh in black / white, but his arms looks really nice in 3D. Litwick's evolutionary line looks really nice at night with the lighting they provide. Torterra looks even better with his tree in 3D as well.

Charmander and some other gen 1 pokemon look really washed out; too pale and just bad. Most look better.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Dec 3, 2016
    I loved swellow in gen 3-5 and I loved his 3d design in Colosseum and gale of darkness even more. He was by far my favorite bird pokemon. After pokemon bank came out in japan I managed to get a taillow by trading in my zygarde. When I rebred and EV trained him I evolved him and he turned into this weird gliding thing. He never had this stance before gen 6 and I dont understand why they made him like this.

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Yeah having some (read: all) of the flying Pokemon just floating like that was seriously a bad idea.

I don't care if it's for sky battle. That was a useless and stupid feature to begin with.

In general the animations of these models are hugely disappointing. Ugh. I much prefer sprites.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Something I just remembered: Spacial Rend looks really cool now.

Years
  • I loved swellow in gen 3-5 and I loved his 3d design in Colosseum and gale of darkness even more. He was by far my favorite bird pokemon. After pokemon bank came out in japan I managed to get a taillow by trading in my zygarde. When I rebred and EV trained him I evolved him and he turned into this weird gliding thing. He never had this stance before gen 6 and I dont understand why they made him like this.

Yeah, I do admit I hated how they made Swellow look in this game. I guess they made it hover to show he was eligible for sky battles (as stated by me and Spino) but it's just weird given it isn't even flapping its own wings unlike most of the other bird Pokemon.

I like Altaria's look in gens 3 and 5 better than 4 and 6. Also I LOVE the Unown in 3D.

Not a fan of Altaria having its wings spread out? I actually love it both with its wings spread out or curled up. And I do agree with you on the Unown, they made them all have unique animations which is really cool.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I actually like Altaria's model; it looks pretty adorable, if you ask me. :] As for Tangrowth, its vines (or whatever they call it) are not really that visible. Would've been much better if they were, haha.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    so far the only gripes i have are with charmeleon and charizards face and blazikens torso. otherwise it looks great and whenever i pick up my phone and try to play any of the gen 3 roms or hack roms i cant keep it open for more than 5 minutes because it just doesnt appeal to me anymore lmao

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I must say, I have found new love for the Pokémon Rhyhorn.
    It never occurred to me just how lovely and smooth its bottom is. I have the urge to softly run my hand over Rhyhorns bottom.

It is AF if Rhyhorn used Rock Polish, but only on its bottom, hmmmm.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 17, 2014
    Mr. Mime is........... terrifying
    His animation REALLY gives me the heebie jeebies, I hate looking at it and just want to run away when I find one!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Mr. Mime is........... terrifying
    His animation REALLY gives me the heebie jeebies, I hate looking at it and just want to run away when I find one!

I've never liked Mr. Mime either. Whenever one shows up all I can think is "gtfo. NOW".

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
  • No it hasn't really changed my opinion, they all look pretty great except some are bad animations but you can't change that, gotta deal with it.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Sentret is like buff!! xD I never realized how strong Sentret it till now. But that's about it, I love the 3d pokemon!

Years
  • Another Pokemon that I think I changed opinions on thanks to the 3D models:

swoobat.gif

I didn't like the animation of Swoobat's old sprite, which made me think it was struggling to stay in the air but it looks way better in X/Y now, I actually think I like it more than I did in 5th Gen. 3D definitely improved the hearty bat in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Swoobat's model is definitely an improvement over its original Black and White model. :] Though, I think it would have looked a lot better if its fur were shaded more. It would've been more realistic that way. Right now, those fur are sort of flat.

Back