• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • Awesome! I just hatched my Shiny Bulbasaur on my 450th egg!! So happy I got all kanto starters in Shiny forme now! :)

So this addition sets my current status of Masuda breeding with the Shiny Charm at:
    - Amaura (7 eggs)
    - Eevee (28 eggs)
    - Charmander (532 eggs)
    - Squirtle (8 eggs)
    - Bulbasaur (450 eggs)

I am really pleased with my findings and super happy with my adorable shinies! I may take a short break now, but I will breed for a Shiny Pichu soon because it's adorable :3

Will keep you guys updated! ^_^

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Not entirely sure if this is in the right thread, but help would be appreciated if it is.

I'm currently working on MM'ing Rotom, and at first, I really expected it to be quick and painless. I was on a road trip so I decided it would be a perfect way to chip away at the time, but here I am a week later at 1000+ eggs and going insane every time I see an orange/blue Rotom instead of a red/yellow one...

Now, I would be pretty confident that it's just bad luck normally, but I'm really wondering whether or not my 6 IV Ditto is tampering with the odds (I question it because, as you could guess, it's hacked). The other parent is a Japanese 4 IV Rotom from Wonder Trade.

I'm not 100% locked into this idea, I just wanted to make sure to not continue for another thousand if I'm doing this wrong. I never expected it to go on this long considering my previous three hunts were fairly short (shiny Noibat, Whimsicott, and Bunnelby after 296, 95, and 555 eggs respectively), but considering I missed four Stone Edges in row the other day on Battle Spot, I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if the RNG gods are just trolling me.

However, while taking a break, I did decide to chain, and you know what happened? Shiny Adamant (it was Synchronized) Skiddo on a chain of 23. This game is messing with my head...

Years
  • It seems like Shiny Pokemon hate me. I've been hatching scores of Honedges in Pokemon Y and over 60 Pawnards in Pokemon X and I STILL haven't hatched that Shiny. It's hard to keep going with it when hatching egg after egg becomes taxing.

She_Delphox

Years
  • Not entirely sure if this is in the right thread, but help would be appreciated if it is.

I'm currently working on MM'ing Rotom, and at first, I really expected it to be quick and painless. I was on a road trip so I decided it would be a perfect way to chip away at the time, but here I am a week later at 1000+ eggs and going insane every time I see an orange/blue Rotom instead of a red/yellow one...

Now, I would be pretty confident that it's just bad luck normally, but I'm really wondering whether or not my 6 IV Ditto is tampering with the odds (I question it because, as you could guess, it's hacked). The other parent is a Japanese 4 IV Rotom from Wonder Trade.

I'm not 100% locked into this idea, I just wanted to make sure to not continue for another thousand if I'm doing this wrong. I never expected it to go on this long considering my previous three hunts were fairly short (shiny Noibat, Whimsicott, and Bunnelby after 296, 95, and 555 eggs respectively), but considering I missed four Stone Edges in row the other day on Battle Spot, I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if the RNG gods are just trolling me.

However, while taking a break, I did decide to chain, and you know what happened? Shiny Adamant (it was Synchronized) Skiddo on a chain of 23. This game is messing with my head...

Well you do have one parent as the foreign one (Japanese Rotom) and your own (?) Ditto. The Masuda Method should still work, eventhough if you are not the original trainer of the Ditto (or when you are not the OT of both of them) the MM still works. Anyway, as long as you are using one foreign Pokemon and one of your own, OR just two foreign Pokemon (i.e. one from Japan and one from Italy or so). You do realize you still need a lot of luck to get one, some could indeed take up to 500 while the next one could take you over 1500... It happens...

Since I obtained the Shiny Charm I can say (at least for me) it really works out, to give you an example, my first MM since I obtained this item was breeding for a shiny Amaura, got one on my 7th Egg. But next, I wanted a shiny Charmander and this took me 532 Eggs later to get one... So it's still luck, I was lucky I got under 1000 but I know people that have the charm like me, who STILL hatched over 2000 eggs to get their shiny...

You just have to be patient ;) I know this can be boring over a while especially when you really want that shiny, but you have to keep going, there is nothing much you can do. When that shiny finally hatches it's so rewarding! :) You did get lucky on your other three MM Pokemon (nice job), but you are doing it the right way so it SHOULD hatch into a shiny too eventually...

You are, on the other hand, really lucky with that shiny Skiddo though! :D Well, good luck and I hope I answered your question so far, keep it up! ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Not entirely sure if this is in the right thread, but help would be appreciated if it is.

I'm not sure if the 6iv ditto's origins matter or not since MM only requires the parents be from differing regions. Keep trying! I got the Shiny Charm recently but I'm not sure if it affects breeding chances (can anyone confirm if it does or does not??). I hatched a few boxes of good-iv Eevees and gave up, now I'm iv breeding a Houndour and will use that one with a foreign 3-iv Ditto for more MM attempts. Just keep chugging!

I read people "accidentally" getting shiny pokemon while breeding for other things like iv, egg moves, natures, ect. So I figured I might as well try to iv breed so when I do eventually get a shiny it'll at least have strong stats, and all the other babies can go to WT, because getting a 2-3 IV baby from WT is exciting. I have a couple boxes of trades I received that had surprisingly good stats and I wanted to keep them.

Keep trying!

When you rack up enough Pokemiles, you can trade them in for PPUP or Rare Candy at one of the Pokecenters in Lumiose City. That's what keeps me on the bicycle sometimes, the thought of getting some PPUPs at the end of all the hatching.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I recently got extremely lucky and got a female Infiltrator Espurr shiny after only 11 eggs. I was breeding for a competitive male Meowstic but she popped up and went RAWR LOOK AT ME! So cute ♥

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • 600 Arons now. Still no luck. The Aron army is growing. They whisper into the night. We fuse. We merge. We grow.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Finally, I got it!
    After weeks of mass hatching, around 300+ eggs, and no luck, I decided to try out a different strategy I found on reddit involving the time machine strat+MM+gender ratio IV manipulation, and just this morning, hatched myself a shiny Honedge!

She has all perfect IVs except for HP, and the 0 IVs in Speed thanks to the Honedge parent. I wish the HP IV was perfect, since this is a Brave natured Honedge, intended to be a physical set. But I'll take it. Maybe I'll make it a mixed set. xD

It's also my first MM shiny ever! I'm excited.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Well you do have one parent as the foreign one (Japanese Rotom) and your own (?) Ditto. The Masuda Method should still work, eventhough if you are not the original trainer of the Ditto (or when you are not the OT of both of them) the MM still works. Anyway, as long as you are using one foreign Pokemon and one of your own, OR just two foreign Pokemon (i.e. one from Japan and one from Italy or so). You do realize you still need a lot of luck to get one, some could indeed take up to 500 while the next one could take you over 1500... It happens...

Since I obtained the Shiny Charm I can say (at least for me) it really works out, to give you an example, my first MM since I obtained this item was breeding for a shiny Amaura, got one on my 7th Egg. But next, I wanted a shiny Charmander and this took me 532 Eggs later to get one... So it's still luck, I was lucky I got under 1000 but I know people that have the charm like me, who STILL hatched over 2000 eggs to get their shiny...

You just have to be patient ;) I know this can be boring over a while especially when you really want that shiny, but you have to keep going, there is nothing much you can do. When that shiny finally hatches it's so rewarding! :) You did get lucky on your other three MM Pokemon (nice job), but you are doing it the right way so it SHOULD hatch into a shiny too eventually...

You are, on the other hand, really lucky with that shiny Skiddo though! :D Well, good luck and I hope I answered your question so far, keep it up! ;)

Thanks, that was really helpful and encouraging! :) I was basically hatching the last 550 nonstop, so I took a week-long break and I'll keep working for it this weekend. If I get it I'll probably say something on this thread.

I've heard horror stories of people hatching 2000+ eggs, I just never thought I would be one of them. But y'know, anything could happen.

(Thank goodness Rotom only has one ability.)

Years
  • Ah, I remember posting in this thread back in November while attempting to hatch a shiny Froakie... I've hatched a ton of "accidental" shinies since then :]

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Not really aiming for a specific but i use a jap ditto,and I could say 1000 diff eggs from breeding competitive pokes.no shiny.never had.never have.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    So, I'm convinced that the shiny charm, without a doubt, helps in MM breeding. After over 2,000 eevee eggs without a shiny eevee, I got the shiny charm and have a shiny:

Eevee (40 eggs not counting the 2,000)
    Larvitar (47 eggs)
    2 Froakies (25 eggs - I hatch five at a time and got two in one hatching session)

I have however hatched over 200 Deino eggs without a shiny and 60 Sandile without a shiny. So, take these findings for what you will, but after over 2,000 eggs without a single shiny, I'm a believer.

She_Delphox

Years
  • So, I'm convinced that the shiny charm, without a doubt, helps in MM breeding. After over 2,000 eevee eggs without a shiny eevee, I got the shiny charm and have a shiny:

Eevee (40 eggs not counting the 2,000)
    Larvitar (47 eggs)
    2 Froakies (25 eggs - I hatch five at a time and got two in one hatching session)

I have however hatched over 200 Deino eggs without a shiny and 60 Sandile without a shiny. So, take these findings for what you will, but after over 2,000 eggs without a single shiny, I'm a believer.

I'm also convinced the Shiny Charm does work with breeding as well :) I also tested a while for Smogon after I obtained my Shiny Charm. I already got three Pokemon hatched as a shiny with the Masuda Method under 30 and even two of them under 10! The last two were above/ around 450. It's still a matter of luck though, and 450-530 aren't 'that many eggs either' (in my case) but it DOES definitely work! ^_^

Good luck hatching a Shiny Deino/ Sandile if you are still attempting to get those as a Shiny ;)

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Someone needs to tell my Shiny Charm then :(

Hehe. Mine, too. I did a Charmander and Gastly for a friend in the first few months after release, and a Swablu for another friend just after that, but since I got my Charm I have had no luck hatching any for myself!

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I generally have pretty godawful luck with shinies compared to everyone else and still do for the most part, but I got a shiny Shuppet on my first egg while not even trying. I flipped my ♥♥♥♥.

Back