• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has playing X & Y got you to change your mind about certain things

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • has there been things about Pokémon X & Y that you didn't like when you heard about them before playing the game but after you played the game, you changed your mind about them and liked them? if so, then what did you change your mind about?

me, I didn't care for the Mega Evolutions but now I like them, Especially Mega-Charizard Y because now I have a vore for him... I also changed my mind on Fairy Type Pokémon... I like those too... Xerneas is pretty cool, Sylveon is adorable.

the Mega-Evolutions and Fairy Type Pokémon are the two main things I didn't like that I changed my mind about...

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2013
    Personally, I wasn't too excited about fairy-type, thinking it was going to turn out stupid. I was wrong though, I ended up liking a lot of the new fairy-types in X/Y.

.Scream

Professor
    Years
  • I wish I could say the fairy type but it's been a burden to me as I never really saw the point of adding more types. But it has done me a favour giving my Gardevoir a resistance against dragons, dark and bug types.

The mega evolutions seemed to be a little "eh..." at first but the mechanic turned out quite well really.

And I was expecting the training methods to be quite boring and time-consuming such as from Pokemon Black where I thought it was slow to level up Pokemon apart from being Audinos. But with the EXP share by my side, and hordes not to forget, it's quite quick!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I always hated Megaevolutions, and I still hate Megaevolutions.

I, at first, didn't like Team Flare. But I thought after battling them, they were cool after all--so it was a nice additon to Generation VI.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    While it wasn't something that I initially disliked, I wasn't too sure how Super Training was going to turn out. But after using it to EV train my Charizard and Mewtwo, I really enjoyed the it.

Then I discovered you can EV train with Horde battles...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wasn't so sure about fairy-types when they had first announced it. Thought it was kind of unnecessary, and they're having it implemented just for the sake of having a new type. I was also a bit concerned about the metagame, since it would be affected by the new fairy typing one way or another. xD" Now, though, I'm all used to it—fairy-types don't bother me anymore. I've actually turned into a huge fan of fairy.

Years
  • I honestly had my doubts about mega evolutions but after playing the game for well over 100 hours I have to say I now enjoy them. My main concern before besides looking like something from digimon is that they would ruin the balance of the game in battles but after testing them all online their balanced enough, at least with the restriction of only been allowed one mega evolve per battle.

Ragin Dragon

Dragon Master
    Years
  • I did not really try that much in pokemon before X and Y. Mainly aying i just chose the pokemon and battled with them, i did not care about the nature or actually did not know they were a factor in how strong they were. I also did not do any breeding except to levl up pokemon but now i breed to get perfect ivs for my pokemon which is kinda exciting for me because i've been missing out on alot of stuff just playing the game with out actually playing if anyone understands that. Oh i also despise fairy types since they can ko dragons easily but megas are ok but all in all good game.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I was really excited about the mega evolutions, but now ... not so much. I was hoping there'd be more of a change for the megas, not bigger stats but just different. Like type changes, even a signature move that's only accessible for the mega as a fifth move or something.

Some of the mega appearance changes are nice, but most are barely any different. They were just a let down. But on the bright side, at least a lot of players are building whole teams with almost all megas, thus wasting their opportunities to use other items, ultimately weakening their team as a whole.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I wasn't keen on the Fairy type when it was first released. But after playing it for a while I started to like them more. Now I have a Sylveon and think it's great!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I wasn't keen on any part of the new generation, not the new type, the 3D, the starters, or even the Pokemon themselves!

Then, when I first stepped outside of my house in Vaniville Town and headed north towards Santalune, I fell in love my little Froakie. c: And as we started our journey together, I began to admire all the new Pokemon and places of Kalos! Game Freak does that to you, huh? :P

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I'm gonna go with the majority here and say that I wasn't too thrilled about the introduction of Fairy types. I mean, I didn't hate them (at that stage, I was excited about everything in these games), but I didn't see the point. Now, their impact on the metagame is clear, and I'm growing to like them.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I wasn't too thrilled about the new Fairy type compared to all the other news, but they didn't disappoint me in-game.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Wasn't too excited about the Megas, didn't use them at all in-game, but now as I battle online I'm starting to realize their impact. Also, something not new to this game, but as I battle more online, I'm starting to realize the importance of priority moves. Gale Wings is completely wrecking me.

kanakinz.

- - just another pokébreeder
    Years
  • I thought the mega evolutions were going to be pretty cool, but it's really more "eh" to me. I just like the aesthetic changes they get. I don't tend to use any mega pokemon like I thought I would.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I initially hated the idea of mega evolutions when they were announced. Over time, they've grown on me, though I'm still not sure how I feel about them overall. On the one hand, I still feel like they're messing with "Pokémon tradition" and becoming too Digimon-like; on the other hand, I really like getting to use the mega evolution of my favorite Pokémon (Blastoise) in-game. It does seem like there are very few mega evolutions overall, though, when compared with the total number of Pokémon, and I pretty much never use any of the ones that do exist besides my trusty Blastoise. Maybe I'll use some of them later, once I breed and train up some more Pokémon.

I didn't like the fairy type when it was announced, and overall, I still don't like it. I didn't really think dragon needed that much of a nerf, and I don't really like any of the new fairy types that much. However, I think part of my bias against fairy types stems from the fact that for whatever reason, I can't seem to memorize their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure why that is--I've never struggled to learn Pokémon information in the past, so maybe I'm just not as focused on it as I should be--but it's reality. I also hate it when I go up against a Pokémon that used to be normal type, but is now fairy type. I always end up using fighting moves, and then feel sad when they aren't very effective.

As for other features, I'm not sure. I got the impression that X and Y were overhyped before their release, and overall, I think that assessment may be accurate. That being said, I'm really enjoying playing the games anyway, and my net opinion has been very positive. I love the improved breeding mechanics, and I really enjoyed getting to mix my old favorites (Blastoise and Pikachu) in with a bunch of new Pokémon.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • I initially thought that Team Flare were merely a metrosexual flamboyance advocacy group, but realized throughout the game they actually had a political agenda--similar to one not too obvious in real life.

Also, I was worried that this generation's starters were going to be a bit bland like in the second generation (worst starters, in my opinion). However, aside from the Fennekin evolutionary line up, they are quite OU worthy, and athestically awesome--especially Greninja (now one of my favorite Pokemon).

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Like with MRAS, it only reassured me about the things I already knew would be great or even better than I hoped for. If anything, the new battle animation and 3D models has gotten me to change my mind about certain Pokémon (both old and new) I never really cared much about before.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I was convinced months before the game came out that I would pick Fennekin for my starter, and Froakie was my least favorite, but after seeing the entire evolutionary lines, I completely changed my mind and ended up picking the ninja frog over the mage in a dress robe.

Back