• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has school failed you?

Years
    It may be you're currently in high school, or in college, maybe in university or perhaps already out there working. No matter where you are, you must have had an experience with the schools you've been to, or perhaps your education system as a whole.

Would you say your experience at school was a good one, or could it have been better? Perhaps the facilities around you weren't enough to push you to be your very best, maybe there wasn't enough motivation for you to even try. Has there been anything holding you back from actually enjoying your education?

Or, did you by any chance enjoy school? Did you enjoy your teachers and the work you were given? Are you satisfied where you are at the moment? If so, would you say school played a big part in making this possible? Or if you aren't satisfied at all, would you say it is because of how school probably treated you, or vice versa?

Has school failed YOU?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I nearly failed school because of a low math grade last year. In the past, I liked school because of my teachers and my classmates Right now, I don't like school, but I don't hate it either because of the workload.

Years
    School failed me? Actually its more like I failed school. An incredibly lazy homework attitude and equally much learning for tests was enough to bring me very far in my education system... But not far enough. So now I have the honor of repeating the last year. I don't know anyone, I have a hard time changing my habits and actually being productive, and life sucks.

Years
    I don't think it's the education system's fault necessarily how well you go. You see kids getting As and kids failing all the time, it's all about the effort you put in yourself to learn. My grades were shocking when I did Year 11, but in Year 12 I focused a lot more and did well enough to get into the university course I wanted. It's all about work ethic.

However, I do think school teaches a lot of pointless stuff that you don't really need to or want to know. My university subjects are all things I'm interested in and want to learn, like one of my units is a series of lectures about American music and popular culture, stuff that I'm heaps interested in. At school, you're stuck doing subjects you're never going to use again to fill in the gaps.

Years
    I'm starting year / grade 11 on January 31st (Australia is on Summer holidays) but I've been at this school for a few years since 2008. Personally I like my school, everything is good especially their equipment. The people here are very nice and kind, though like every school there are some people who annoy me. But everyone is kind most of the time.

I learned a lot last year even though I didn't go to often for a bit near the end. I hope I can actually do a lot more this year though, if anyone has any advice on my last two years of school then please say.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    School has failed me, especially in the art department. Instead of just learning things, I'm insulted from the minute I walk in there to the minute I leave. At least most of it is ignorable, but when it's coming from a teacher's pet, there's next to nigh I can do about it. It's very difficult to get any sort of criticism because it either ends up being too negative in maliciousness, or too positive out of friendliness. And it's frustrating as hell to be told your artwork is an abomination by the person who sticks her feet in sand on a canvas and paints it blue and yellow, and the teacher STILL thinks her opinion is valid, despite its obvious malicious intent. The ***** even calls me out in being weird, even though just a year before she pranced through the ****ing hallways like a magical fairy, wearing a tutu, butterfly wings and puffy boots. Seriously, it's okay if you want to do that, but don't go around calling other people weird. People aren't gonna forget something like that. ****

And ****, why do they still have teacher's pets in senior year? I thought that was supposed to be like a middle school thing. Ugh, stupid school.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I can't say that my School years have been wasted on nothing. The school that I went to help TAFE (certificate) courses, which we could do at the same time as normal school, which is very good. n_n I has always done the multimedia side of things as well, and we always had the top-notch equipment and latest software.

The friends I made during school were great as well, with so many moments which I will cherish because of school. It was truly an experience to remember. :D

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I didn't make the best of my high school experience, and took for granted those four years like many other students by wanting to leave so badly. Those four years are ones that I want to get back, but now that it's too late, there's no way of that happening. I would certainly do things differently and take the time to enjoy it more. I had the grades (apart from US History II, which I had to repeat), but I spent more time focusing on wanting to get out than enjoying it while I was there.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    High school was excellent. For college, I started having issues with the insane difficulty with the difficulty of classes starting in my third year, then it only got worse as I moved on to graduate school. Right now, I've been delayed graduation from grad school because of this completely unfair policy and final exam, so I'm quite frustrated with that.

College life outside of classes has been good for the most part, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate school and all it stands for. I won't express my hatred here, but I just hate it. Leave it at that. Oh and I'm going to major in education. lol contradictory

Years
    This is a very sore point for me. My time in school was nothing but pure hell. I was bullied and nobody really cared. I struggled with classes because of that, I really couldn't focus on schoolwork, I dreaded going to school every day. There were MANY times I considered killing myself so the pain would end. But the only thing that kept me going was my goal of graduating high school. And I eventually did graduate. Bot now, I wished I killed myself because I have no future, no drive to improve, no self esteem... nothing.

My 12 years of school was like being in a Nazi concentration camp. I'm not trying to offend anybody with a reference to the Holocaust, but that is how I viewed my days in school. The whole education system in this country is messed up.

Years
    I have never failed a class. The lowest EVER grade I have received was a 'D' in French, because I hated it and put very little work into it. I never saw the point in them teaching me a language that I would never use. But alas, I just ignored most of it.

I didn't like Secondary/High School because I never liked the formal structure of the education system, where we HAD to learn certain topics. Ok, Maths, English and Science, yes. Everyone should know them because you won't get a decent job without knowing the fundamentals, but things like French and Sports. I hate french and I do enough sports in my own time. That time could be spent learning something decent.
    I much preferred college and University, where I could pick what I wanted to do, but the argument, I guess, is would I know what I would want to do, given the choice at the start of School.

But back to the question, no, the teachers have always been nice and helpful if I made an effort back to them. Never failed and I don't intend to.​

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, the Exam Boards have failed me slightly...being a tester year and all that. Hopefully we'll have figured out how to do the exams in time for the real things after failing our mocks (for a Grammar school that's exceptionally bad).

But other than that, it's only really the other pupils that are to blame. And me. I mean, I managed to overachieve with two of our worst teachers when I was doing their respective subjects. However, I was a bit too shy, so now the other people don't like me as much, and mock me a bit. But that's partially my fault, isn't it?

So school's slightly failed me, but not in any major way (As of yet).

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    College is great for me. Sure some teachers are better than others but you take what you can from them on their office hours if you need help with stuff @_@ It's great to poke their brains, I learn a lot from getting critiques from them one on one.
    School facilities are good, the only thing we don't really have is good internet access, but if we bring our own laptop it's pretty easy to get.

So no, school's never failed me.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I graduated from one of the top 5 high schools of America. Although the classes and expectations were butt hard, I succeeded in the end. Twilight Sky knows, lolol. Those all-nighters paid off. Or did they. =___=

On an emotional level, high school failed me because my best friend from middle school didn't attend my high school. I spent most of 9th grade alone. I always struggled making friends in high school. I hated knowing that after all of the bonding, my friends would leave my life. That feeling restrained me from enjoying the social aspect of high school.

I'm okay in college now, though. I like the food, campus, professors, and the mascot. Oh and I love my scholarships. <3

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    As aforementioned in my blog, the uni I've finally applied to has failed me in terms of cost, logic, administration, and unfortunate bureaucracy. So... yes.

As for high school. Social life is crap, but who cares. I have excellent grades in my subjects of interest and putting as minimal effort as possible without failing (AMEPWF) in the ones I don't like at all (History & English~) So far, High school hasn't failed me drastically. But based on available opportunities, I feel it'd be better to switch to a boarding school I found.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    No, school hasn't failed me, Why? Basically, school motivated me to pursue more and be a successful person that I am as of now, I'm in my 3rd year of highschool and currently the first honors of the class since the first quarter and will still try to get the highest honor for the recognition rites this coming march. :)

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Keeping in mind that I'm in my last year of secondary school so I still have two years of College and hopefully University afterwards.

I don't think School has failed me at all. From the time I started school here in the UK, I've changed immensley as a person. When I started off, I had a terrible attitude towards school work - never doing any work in class or any homework set for me. As a result, I ended up quite behind when I left primary school at the age of eleven.

Moving on to secondary school, I started to grow up more. I was now entering my teens and maturing which was (I guess it still is as I am currently sixteen) a key stage in my life because I decided to buckle down and start doing the work set for me in class and at home. This simple decision has made me the person I am today. I listened to teachers, improved most of my skills and started to find out my key interests and, in my opinion, became a much better person which couldn't have been possible without school.

I hope the rest of my schooling years go as well as the last few have. School is certainly there to make mistakes. It's how quickly you realise they were mistakes and learn from them that matters and affects you as a person.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah, school sucked. I'm not even going to go into that much detail.

My attendance was terrible, if I did attend then I skipped lessons, I never did my homework, I played around all lesson, most of my teachers were awful, the students were awful. Minimal effort was involved and I still got A & B grades in most classes, my lowest grade was a C in Geography. It was funny, because I did absolutely no work for Geography at all, but still managed to pass. It really makes me wonder how stupid some people must be when they manage to fail despite actually trying to pass. The current system means any lazy good for nothing (such as myself) can get away with top grades.

Apart from the education aspect, it still sucked. Helped me come to realise that I hate people, students and teachers alike. College continues to reinforce that view, lol. I'm still getting away with minimal effort, although I get attacked more often by my teachers, but a 10 minute whine session from someone I barely know isn't going to break that habit. At least I've come to expect their behaviour now though. I wish I'd just let myself consider aiming really low so that I don't have to bother with education.

Back