• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever boxed a starter?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, it's a common thing for me. I boxed the starter in some of my playthroughs, either because I wasn't interested in them or because I already did playthroughs with each of them in the past and wanted to avoid repetition.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I boxed my starter (Snivy), and replaced him with Lilligant in Yet Another Fire Red Romhack.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I box my starter every play-through to correspond to my playstyle. I prefer to play Pokémon with at least two different teams, which are my primary and secondary teams. I begin my adventure with my primary team and use it until I defeat the first gym. Afterwards, I box my primary team and use my secondary team until I defeat the second gym. I continue this process until I acquired all the gym badges. I then take on the Pokémon League with my primary team and fight them again with my secondary team after becoming Champion. Because my starter Pokémon is always part of my primary team, I always box it temporarily.

Years
  • Three times that I recall, though two were because I was doing something specific.
    Most recently, I boxed Rowlet in Sun shortly after catching a Smeargle as I was doing a single stages only playthrough.
    In Sword I boxed Scorbunny, because I shiny bred myself a team in Shield to play through the game with some style :coolcat:
    I also shoved Incineroar into a box not long after evolving in Moon years ago. Tried to adjust to the disappointment and make it work, but it was insurmountable. Only starter I've boxed during a normal playthrough.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Up until recently, it was my sacred rule to never ditch the starter until the end of the game, and to steer clear from challenges that required me doing so. Some of my latest playthroughs have made me reconsider that rule, however; I kind of wish I'd ditched my Totodile in my last Crystal playthrough because I actually couldn't bond with him, but the little bastard was too useful to let go after he evolved and learned Ice Fang. I also found it infuriating that having the Starter in the party was mandatory to progress the story in Xenoverse; to this day, it remains one of my greatest pet peeves in a fan game.

If you ask me now, I'd definitely dump the starter in any of the Sinnoh games in favor of an older-generation Pokémon. (PLA wouldn't count though, as the starters are already from other regions and I could never part with any of them, especially Cyndaquil!)

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    Always do, I don't like how every team has to have a starter, and without one I feel like my team is more unique

Back