• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever boxed a starter?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    What the title says. Although things like if it died in a nuzrun don't count and neither do if you were forced to box it because of some ruleset you imposed in your playthrough.

What is allowed is, have you ever boxed your starter even though it was completely usable, and if you have never boxed a starter, why have you never done so?

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Not really, I don't catch many Pokemon during the main story so I usually never have a reason to push the starter out of my party when theyre so powerful anyways. I've taken them out of my party in postgames when I want to catch more mons or grind up some lower level ones, but that doesn't really count.

faf

Queen of Dragons
    Years
    I typically don't myself when I play it casually for the first time and the only times I do are if I were to do a challenge like a solo run or monotype not matching my chosen type.

Anyways, I've moved your thread over to Pokémon Gaming Central since it discusses more about the games.

Raffi

Greatest Trickster
    Years
    I might just be too sentimental, but I really think I never could. I'd feel super bad about it. I think the only time I have was during a Black and White challenge run. Normally I plan my teams around my starter, so they're in it for the long run.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    during challenges where i can't use it or it doesn't work with what i'm doing, yeah. but there are some starters i just Don't Like so most gen 4/5 playthroughs, my starter gets boxed. i rarely box them in gen 1/2/3/7. everything else just depends.

Years
    • Online now
    I boxed the Umbreon starter once during a playthrough of colosseum. Espeon felt strong enough, and it gives you a johto starter within the first 40 minutes.

Years
    too much of a purist to do that. i literally follow npcs and make my starter the strongest in my team because it just feels right to me lol.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    It's a thing I've always considered and only done for specific Nuzlockes I've never followed through on. The only time I remember ever boxing a starter was just because a friend of mine and I challenged each other to see who could beat B2/W2 using only Genesect so it just ended up being a solo run anyways.

Nowadays even if I'm not the biggest fan of the starter I pick, there's just something that feels strange about boxing, y'know?

Years
    Sometimes I do, I like to use different starters from different gens if I don't want to use the starter in the game I'm playing , used gen 2 starters alot in different games lately do when I did my recent gold run I boxed my starter and didn't use one

Years
    I only did it twice. The first time was on my one and only playthrough of Yellow because Pikachu can't evolve in that game and I'm not a huge Pikachu fan to keep one on my team unevolved since I like Raichu a lot more that Pikachu. The second time was on my third Alola playthrough because I used Rowlet and Litten lines in my Sun and Ultra Sun playthroughs earlier and I kinda dislike Popplio line so when I restarted Ultra Sun I just bred my entire team (Dratini, Budew, Rockruff, Houndour, Golett and Spheal) on Sun and transferred them over as soon as possible and boxed the starter for the rest of the game.

Years
    boxed my rillaboom because i actually don't have space for it anymore. that and i aim to have a shiny only team, and my starter rillaboom isn't shiny, unfortunately. :c it's... an eventual thing down the road to breed it, but i'm lazy and that will take time.

usually not, though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Not usually! But sometimes, yes, I do. I believe I boxed my starter in my generation six playthroughs out of utter disappointment, and...probably gen 5, too? I also will during my challenges where I only use Pokemon I hatched through eggs (after trading the eggs over). But other than that, usually, I do not box my starter, because I like using it during the main story.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Occasionaly do so when I prefer to use other mons over the starter, in my first Shield playthrough I boxed my Raboot in favour of Centiskorch. For the most part though I prefer to keep my starter in my team throughout the game.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    In Diamond, I not only boxed my Prinplup, but I actually sent it to My Pokémon Ranch for the Wii.

Of course, I wasn't happy when I found out I couldn't send it back if I reset the game.

I can't remember another playthrough where I did this.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Only during challenges. Favors them for HMs during challenges, if not allowed normally.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I box more often than not for challenges, but more often than not I keep them around for normal gameplay, I suppose.

Back