• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever used a non-Mega Pokémon as your ace in a game where you can Mega Evolve?

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Title, I am just curious as from what I've seen, people often make Mega Pokémon their ace and I usually use a non-Mega Pokémon or at least I don't Mega Evolve my ace if they can Mega Evolve sometimes.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    First playthrough of a game: Mega Evolves someone. Tends not to identify anyone as the "ace", though. Likely picked an underwhelming Pokemon to Mega Evolve. Breathes new life into them, much like Muk's Alolan form. Would not bother with them otherwise. Rolled with Mega Aggron in one and Mega Sceptile in another.

Challenge run: Forbids Mega Evolutions.

Battle Maison and Tree: Yes and no. Devised teams around some megas (like Mega Mawile). Created some weather teams without any megas too. Who needs Charizard Y or Mega Venusaur when you have Ninetales and Victreebel?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes, very often! I do love some mega evolutions a lot but don't usually make them my ace - most of the time I use a Pokémon that can't mega evolve and only ever really mega a few times them post game. Dunno, just seems to end up that way aha. Nothing against using them actively in the story but I just don't very often.

Years
    • Seen today
    Sure, I don't deliberately build teams around an ace and I don't allways use Megas in games that have them, because a lot of them are broken and I prefer banning overpowered Pokémon.

In Y, I just refused to use megas. Even without them XY are one of the easiest games anyway, and you have literally three trainers in the entire game that use megas anyway, so what a joke.

In Omega Ruby I had mega Mawile, because Mawile is just a dead weight otherwise.

All other megas I've had on my teams: Lopunny, Camerupt, and Aggron, were on rom hacks/fan games featuring a higher difficulty than the official games. Generally, if I'm going to have a mega, I prefer prioritizing weaker Pokémon that I probably wouldn't use without the mega, but for mons like Houndoom, Gardevoir, Gengar, etc. that are already amazing and perfectly viable for the in-game, it feels like a waste.

Years
  • I've used a couple on my teams in X/Y and ORAS, not sure if any of them were the 'ace'.
    That said I'd often not even Mega Evolve them xD

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm not sure what "making a Pokemon my ace" even means.

Don't get me wrong, I know what an ace means for an NPC like a Gym Leader; it's the member of their team that's the highest level, and is usually in their last party slot even if they don't actually send it out last. But for a player, which member of your team is the most useful is highly situational depending on what you're facing; and even if I have a member of my team that I "like" the most, that Pokemon isn't necessarily the one that's the highest level. So I don't even know what criteria I would use to say which member of my team is my ace.

For example, when I fought the League for the first time in X&Y, my "favourite" team member was my starter Greninja, my highest level Pokemon was Xerneas, the Pokemon that would have been my strongest if I hasn't had a box legendary on my team was Mega Charizard, and the Pokemon that took down the Champion's ace in a final one-on-one winner-take-all matchup was Aegislash. Which of those was my "ace?" I have no idea.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    Not sure if this counts- omega ruby alpha sapphire, tho it was just for one specific match. My mega sceptile kept getting 1-shot by the 8th gym leaders milotic. I didn't realize that sceptile became part dragon when it mega evolved so it was taking 4x damage instead of 2x damage. As soon as i realized this type change i went back into the battle and defeated him with that non-mega sceptile

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I rarely if ever used Mega Evolution tbh, I rarely felt the need to use it even when I could.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Yes, the starters in Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
    I picked Sceptile, but the same would have been applied for Blaziken and Swampert, since I don't really enjoy how their mega evolved forms look like. Salamence, on the other hand, that's a Pokémon I totally loved how its mega evolved form turned out to be.
    Period bestie. Croissant dragon is amazing and u should say it. Definitely one of my favorite megas.

As per myself, only game with megaevolution I've played is SM and u get megas after becoming champion lmfao, but I assume that doesn't count. I haven't played ORAS, but I could see myself using Mega Aggron, which tbf is a bit eh compared mostly to the water-type crew of Hoenn that are definitely more useful for a normal playthrough.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Yyyyyeah. My aces in Y were Sigilyph and Aegislash, neither of which could Mega Evolve. The only Pokémon in that team that could Mega Evolve was Lucario, but even then I didn't really need to bust out his Mega form that often. Same with Alpha Sapphire; my Swampert was my ace, but she was so powerful that most of the time I didn't need to use her Mega form. It was another story with my poor Sableye though; he needed to Mega Evolve to hold his own. I also had a Gardevoir and made Rayquaza a main team member in AS, but I don't really recall how often I used their Mega forms.

In Gen VII, I didn't use Megas at all, period. Even when LGPE made them more easily accessible, I just didn't care enough to use them, not even the ones I liked such as Zard X or Diancie. I just preferred Z-Moves - same power boost, none of the form-change shenanigans.

Back