• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you read a pokémon manga, yes or no?

Years
  • Having been co-mod of Pokemon Manga/Comics for the final month of its existence, I feel kind of silly saying that I haven't read any of the manga, other than a page or two usually taken out of context.

It's not that I wouldn't give it the chance, but I've never seen any physical copies of it anywhere, which is how I'd much rather read it than online. I find I've got a short attention span trying to read any comic longer than a few panels on my computer, but I could sit down for hours with a good novel or comic book, or in this case, a Pokemon manga.

So if I happen to stumble across a physical copy of any of the manga I'd probably give it a read, but it isn't something I'm going to go out of my way to look for.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I have read Pokemon Adventure in bits and pieces, mainly because I can't find an internet source that actually has all of the chapters and I'm anal about doing things in chronological order so I'm not missing out on anything.

What I have read of it, though, I definitely want to read all of it. I much prefer the way the Pokemon world is portrayed in the manga, I love having the game protags as the main characters, and I just love how it's a bit more mature than the anime (which I've had a hard time watching anything beyond the OS [solely for nostalgia] since I was about 12-13 years old).

If anyone knows a site that actually posts all the chapters you would make my entire life better. lol

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No, for the most part because I assume they're too long for my liking. The one I would read (PiPiPi ★ Adventures) wasn't fully translated, and I haven't otherwise managed to find a complete fan translation. I also have scans of, I think, what of The Electric Tale of Pikachu was translated but the English version is censored, and I only downloaded it for the fanservice anyway, so meh.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I've never seen Pokemon manga and so I haven't got one of those yet. I'll probably buy one if I get bored, maybe the Pokemon Adventures version?

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • I've only read PokéSpe, and only the first 24 volumes. This was quite a long time ago. I hope to get more in the future, though. In fact, this manga was the reason I joined PC in the first place, so it's sad to see the subsection go (even though I rarely posted there since returning).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If anyone knows a site that actually posts all the chapters you would make my entire life better. lol
    Google is your friend. If you know what to google for. I'm just saying. It's not as difficult to find plenty of pokémon manga scans as one might believe ^^

I've never seen a pokémon manga in a store in my country ever. I doubt they get translated to Swedish, but I haven't seen English versions either. And I doubt they are selling the japanese versions unless I go into some really obscure store in the capital or something. That's a pity, because at times I really get an urge to own the physical copies. I guess shipping from online would be an option, I just don't want Viz' new versions; I like the old covers better haha.

King Of Pokemon

Pokemon King
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2014
    I read all of DP Adventures (The one with the tarzan-boy) And I read through all the Kanto and two of the Johto region books in the Pokemon Adventures series,but this is mainly because i like manga.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Reading:
    The Electric Tale of Pikachu volume 3 (physical volume)
    Darkrai Mission Story: Pokémon Ranger Batonnage - the Comic
    (scanlation)

Will read:
    The Electric Tale of Pikachu volume 4 (physical volume)
    Pokémon RéBURST chapter 1-10 (scanlation)
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blazing Rescue Team (scanlation)
    How I Became a Pokémon Card chapter 1, 2, 4, 17 and 38 (scanlation)
    Pokémon Get da ze volume 4 chapter 4 and volume 5 chapter 8 (scanlation)
    Some 4Komas from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl 4-koma Theatre (scanlation)
    Pokémon Adventures volume 15-17 (physical VIZ volumes)

Might read just in order to read 'em all:
    Magical Pokémon Journey volume 1 (scans) and volume 8 chapter 1-5 (scanlations)

Have read:
    Pokémon Adventures volume 1-14 (physical VIZ volumes)
    Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys volume 1-3 (physical volumes)
    Pokémon Battle Frontier (physical volume)
    Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! volume 1-8 (physical volumes)
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team (physical volume)
    Phantom Thief Pokémon 7 (physical volume)
    W Mission Story: Pokémon Ranger - the Comic (scanlation)
    Pokémon Zensho chapter 1 (scanlation)
    Pocket Monsters chapter 1 (scanlation)

I tried reading the B/W arc but I couldn't find the right chapters anywhere in the internet :c

Other Pokemon mangas I've kinda read are ReBurst, which I REALLY want to read more of but there seems to be a huge jump in chapters wherever I look

There are gaps in between BW magazine chapters of Pokémon Special.
    Pokémon RéBURST chapter 1-10 was scanlated by a group that has now closed down. Another group picked up RéBURST after that and continued scanlating it from where the summaries stopped, so they scanlated chapter 68-71.

I've been wanting to read the manga from time to time but I've never gotten round to it. i wouldn't know where to start reading or how to find them, or even which to read haha.
    List of Pokémon manga published by Chuang Yi: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Chuang_Yi
    List of Pokémon manga published by VIZ: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/VIZ_Media#Pok.C3.A9mon_manga
    Lists about Pokémon manga in general: Bulbapedia, Dogasu's Backpack & List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokémon Manga

Well, there's this revolutionary site called Google that allows people to find stuff. Last time I checked scans and scanlations are also stuff.

I don't know if Chuang Yi did the Unova series yet.
    Nope. They're at volume 41, which is the first volume of the HeartGold & SoulSilver arc.

I also read the first few chapters of Electric Tale of Pikachu, it was pretty funny and sadly I couldn't find much more than that... anywhere at all it seems. I also once read a manga that was like... Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and the MC gets turned into a Torchic, I found it at my library but I don't remember it that well.
    Chapter 1-15 of The Electric Tale of Pikachu has been scanned and are easily available online. If you want to read chapter 16-20 you'll have to buy volume 4 (Surf's Up, Pikachu).
    The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon manga is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team.

The only Pokémon manga I've read is the Pokemon Adventures Red & Blue set, all 7 volumes.
    I'm not sure if this applies to all the other sets in the Adventures manga, but I like how it's a lot more descriptive and graphic than the Pokémon anime.
    It applies to all other arcs of Pokémon Special / Adventures.

Although there are times when I wish I could pick up PokeSpe again to see what all the popularity is about, I wouldn't know where to find it to do so.

It's not that I wouldn't give it the chance, but I've never seen any physical copies of it anywhere, which is how I'd much rather read it than online.
    Pretty much all websites that sell books also sell Pokémon manga, so with a few clicks with your mouse you can get volumes delivered directly into your mailbox.

I have read Pokemon Adventure in bits and pieces, mainly because I can't find an internet source that actually has all of the chapters and I'm anal about doing things in chronological order so I'm not missing out on anything.
    It's not that hard to find.

The new sucky Pokémon manga rules said:
    Regarding scans/scanlations of manga: you may not link to manga hosting sites.

Google is your friend. If you know what to google for. I'm just saying. It's not as difficult to find plenty of pokémon manga scans as one might believe
    Exactly.

I've never seen a pokémon manga in a store in my country ever. I doubt they get translated to Swedish, but I haven't seen English versions either. And I doubt they are selling the japanese versions unless I go into some really obscure store in the capital or something. That's a pity, because at times I really get an urge to own the physical copies. I guess shipping from online would be an option, I just don't want Viz' new versions; I like the old covers better haha.
    No Pokémon manga has ever been translated into Swedish, as far as I know. Neither official or scanlations.
    You might find it in a big book store (or at least be able to have them order it to the store) or in a sci-fi store (yeah, those does exist).
    You could get the Chuang Yi editions then, if you are ok with flipped artwork and Chinese to English translations for most of the volumes. If you want to import it, I know who you should contact.

I read all of DP Adventures (The one with the tarzan-boy)
    That's Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've read a bit of them. I read the first arc of PokeSpecial, for instance, and I have one of the 2nd gen arcs too in book form - something I picked up from the one con I went to years back for novelty factor.

It's something I wouldn't mind reading more of, I suppose. I preferred it to the anime at any rate.

Years
  • Yes I have! I own some of the Electric Tale of Pikachu thin books and have read the Kanto saga of Pokemon Adventures. That's pretty much it, though I'd like to read more~

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Yeah I read the Pokemon Spec Adventures I think it was, the main one. I got to g/s/c it was amazing really. I feel like I should pick all the volumes up and read them.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I had a few chapters of Pokemon Adventures when I was small with the first volume of The Electric Tale of Pikachu (I lost it).
    Recently I bought 16 volumes of Pokemon Adventures, I'm liking them a lot so far.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I own one and have read it several times. I would've bought the next one by now, but they're so darn expensive. I:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Oh yes I'm an ardent reader of that Pokémon Spec/Adventures. I've read Johto and Kanto now reading Hoenn. Cute, that.

Back