• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help & Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • can't you tell your mom how you feel? if you really truly dont want to take a girl to the dance, then just dont. i didnt go to prom, mostly bc my school didnt have one and the district i was from (i was from one district but went to a school in another district bc i was transferred) i wasnt comfortable going to that one but..

if you truly dont want to take anyone, then dont. or just take a close friend or something.

edit: or if you do, then..take a close friend i guess?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • can't you tell your mom how you feel? if you really truly dont want to take a girl to the dance, then just dont. i didnt go to prom, mostly bc my school didnt have one and the district i was from (i was from one district but went to a school in another district bc i was transferred) i wasnt comfortable going to that one but..

if you truly dont want to take anyone, then dont. or just take a close friend or something.

edit: or if you do, then..take a close friend i guess?

I have told my mom how I feel, and I guess she understands, but she is determined not to let me take my foot off the gas pedal so to speak. She is doing it because she doesnt want me to forego this experience, so I sympathize with her on that. Im just frustrated with her, ya know?

oh no... I totally want to take a girl! For sure I am going with a girl. Im not going to deprive myself of an opportunity.

Edit: I posted this as Johnny did. Yes, I will ask as many girls as it takes. You are right- I can only win. Just win less at worst. :)

Perhaps I'm making this too much about my mom. I just had some bottled up feelings about her that I needed to let out. Yes, I do really, really want to go to prom. Yes, I am very determined. But I simultaneously dont need my mom breathing down my throat and she gets repetitive real quick sometimes.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ah, well, if you genuinely want to go and stuff, that's alright then

After prom's over though, you probably want to get your mom's issues worked out

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • I'm not the best at this stuff, and in fact never went to prom, but I'd recommend being honest about your situation with someone you already at least sort of know. This way you don't have to actually get a girlfriend per se or force a relationship, but you can still take a girl to prom. You go to prom with a girl, your mom is happy, and everyone wins.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • *cracks fingers*

well well well hello there it's your favorite cali girl with the complex mind of a girl!! (especially a girl worrying about prom)

first off: is this your last prom?

If I'm going to be honest, asking a close girl friend shouldn't be on top of your list. Especially if you're like a brother to her. Why? Because it's just weird for the girl, remember, you're like a brother to her. Plus, she wouldn't know how to turn you down and it'll be all awkward and not fun trust me. (UNLESS if she has expressed some sort of interest in going with you, you could always pull "if we both don't have dates to prom, lets be each other's dates" just to check how willing she is to go to prom with you)

Don't ask girls you barely know to Prom unless if they're chill like that. Mixing strange friends with one another is very awkward and should be avoided at all cost. Unless if they're chill like that.

I mean, I have no specific details of the history you had with the two other girls, but judging on what you gave us I say it wouldn't hurt to try to ask the girl who was interested in you (the kiss one) because well, she was interested in you.
    But asking that third girl in their friend group is a no-go, girl code dude.

The girl who wants a date that's outside of the school is probably saying that because she doesn't think anyone at the school will ask her (most likely, not saying that she is). Again, pull the "if we both don't have dates" thing to see if she would go with you. OTHERWISE ASK HER IN A VERY EXTRAVAGANT WAY AND SHE WONT SAY NO BECAUSE ITS TO BEAUTIFUL TO SAY NO.

Or.

You can not go to prom.
    Hear me out.
    It would so sweet if you would "bring the prom" to the girl who got in a car accident. Maybe gather a few of her friends and yours and have a lil prom there if she's cool with that (double check in with her friends before executing the idea)

Also, if you're a junior and have prom next year, go with your guy friends and score a date next year!!! There will be single ladies at prom so don't worry about chatting any girls up ;)

P.S. Have you thought about asking anyone outside of your school? Childhood friends maybe?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • *cracks fingers*

well well well hello there it's your favorite cali girl with the complex mind of a girl!! (especially a girl worrying about prom)

*conjures up an image of some mad scientist of love*
    first off: is this your last prom?

My first prom!

If I'm going to be honest, asking a close girl friend shouldn't be on top of your list. Especially if you're like a brother to her. Why? Because it's just weird for the girl, remember, you're like a brother to her. Plus, she wouldn't know how to turn you down and it'll be all awkward and not fun trust me. (UNLESS if she has expressed some sort of interest in going with you, you could always pull "if we both don't have dates to prom, lets be each other's dates" just to check how willing she is to go to prom with you)

Hm. Never thought of that. But the only close girl friend I have is not an option for me. I would rather not spend prom with her.
    Don't ask girls you barely know to Prom unless if they're chill like that. Mixing strange friends with one another is very awkward and should be avoided at all cost. Unless if they're chill like that.
    I didnt think of that. The list was just narrowed down. xD

I mean, I have no specific details of the history you had with the two other girls, but judging on what you gave us I say it wouldn't hurt to try to ask the girl who was interested in you (the kiss one) because well, she was interested in you.
    But asking that third girl in their friend group is a no-go, girl code dude.
    She ended the relationship because she was not interested in me and didnt want to lead me on. Thats coming from her. Im assuming she wanted to kiss as a "caught up in the moment" sort of deal.

I also didnt know that. That just shortened the list again. But they have this one friend that is really cute....
    The girl who wants a date that's outside of the school is probably saying that because she doesn't think anyone at the school will ask her (most likely, not saying that she is). Again, pull the "if we both don't have dates" thing to see if she would go with you. OTHERWISE ASK HER IN A VERY EXTRAVAGANT WAY AND SHE WONT SAY NO BECAUSE ITS TO BEAUTIFUL TO SAY NO.

I would rather attend prom with a girl from my school.

And extravagant doesnt fit my personality. But explain anyways- perhaps ill consider it. I was thinking of a poster and flowers. For me thats extravagant lol.

It would so sweet if you would "bring the prom" to the girl who got in a car accident. Maybe gather a few of her friends and yours and have a lil prom there if she's cool with that (double check in with her friends before executing the idea)

This is a great idea, but I dont know the extent of her injuries. She texted that she had a concussion, but idk about anything else (she cant use her phone because of the concussion apparently). For all I know she could have many broken bones or just minor injuries. Ill get the scoop either tomorrow or by Friday.
    Also, if you're a junior and have prom next year, go with your guy friends and score a date next year!!! There will be single ladies at prom so don't worry about chatting any girls up ;)

I am a junior, but i am determined to go with a girl and not go with any guys. And either my friends have dates already, aren't going to prom, or I just plain dont want to hang out with at prom.
    P.S. Have you thought about asking anyone outside of your school? Childhood friends maybe?
    I was a very shy child and dont have any female childhood friends to ask. Outside of school I dont have any options at all.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • First, your mom needs to learn how to chill. That and your mom needs to talk to my mom, whose attitude towards me doing anything above friendly stuff is "that's probably not a good idea for now", more or less not an exaggeration because I agree with her.

Second, I'm somewhat confused. If you say this is your first prom, then this isn't going to be your last prom? If so, then why not skip out on this one?

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • bada bing bada boom.

I say get the scoop & if worse comes to worse, you can always ask your friends who you should ask to prom. Or even let them set you up on a blind prom date.

You could still ask that third girl from the group but chances are it's unlikely unless she has shown interest !

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I know that we don't know each other very well. I believe we had a few back and forths in the debate forums and such. So keep in mind that you may have different views about what I feel in regards to this. But all of that aside, I really don't like how much pressure your mom is putting onto you.

Interestingly enough, I was in a very similar predicament back in high school. I never dated anyone, prom was coming, and my mom was in full force trying to get me to go. It baffled her that I could have no desire to make wonderful high school memories with a girl, blah blah etc.

But the fact of the matter is, I really hate the concept of prom. I don't know exactly how you feel about it, but I find it idiotic for a number of reasons. The main one being that It's a social expectation that tries to punish you if you show no interest. Not only was my mother a wonderful example of this, but a few of my friends were being pests about it as well. You shouldn't feel forced to go to a party that costs you money/energy/time when you don't want to. It's a lame ritualistic party. Therefore it is optional. Period.

Also, forcing yourself to find a date is nothing but a bad idea. If you already have a girlfriend that you really like and all, this is totally fine for prom. But you don't, and you're struggling to find a date. Honestly, even if you manage to force yourself to someone in time, don't count on things working out that well. Forced relationships like that rarely work out. Also, why is it such a big failure if you don't? You can't just put "find a date in the next two weeks" on a checklist. That's not how romance works. You don't have any control over things like that. It honestly is just plain luck if you find someone right for you. So don't stress too much about that, okay? You have to let romance come to you. Not the other way around.

So in short, there are three scenarios for what can happen here.

The first is you getting really lucky and finding a great girl to go with in time. This scenario would be great, but the odds of this happening are low. So you can't exactly count on this one as your main strategy.

The second scenario is you just going with some friends, and telling your mom to get over the date part and that finding romance doesn't simply happen overnight (at least, when you want it to.) This could work out just fine, really. Plenty of my friends did this, and they still had a great time. Dates aren't everything.

The third scenario is you telling your mom to completely get over herself and not go to prom. Do this if you simply don't like prom, and really don't want to go. This is what I went with, and I still don't regret it to this day. There is a line to be crossed in regards to interfering with your son's life, and your mother has crossed it big time. Put her in her place. However, your mother may not be happy with doing so. At all. If you think that doing this will piss her off a bit too much, then it might be best to avoid it. That is your discretion to know.

Also, the "bring prom to her" idea that Smocks has is kind of a great one? And super romantic. If you think that it's a good idea too, you should definitely go for it I think.

That's what I think about the situation as a whole. Regardless of what you decide to do, I hope that things work out!

Imafroggy

King
    Years
  • Your mom needs to chillax lol.
    But I also feel like a lot of the reasons you aren't asking some girls out are kind of poor and sound like excuses. Just be straight up and say you don't feel like going.
    Prom IS pretty cool though so I wouldn't recommend missing out, but it's not a life changing experience like a lot of movies play it out to be lol

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I say get the scoop & if worse comes to worse, you can always ask your friends who you should ask to prom. Or even let them set you up on a blind prom date.
    no no no no no lol

letting my friends set up a date would be a disaster
    You could still ask that third girl from the group but chances are it's unlikely unless she has shown interest !

Probably.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I used to post on message boards all the time, hung out with people regularly. But I spent more than a few years detaching myself from everyone I knew, and away from the internet in general.

Now, I actually felt anxiety just from the idea of posting on here, sad, I know. :/

Talking to people in person is even worse, I automatically have all these assumptions that people are thinking negative things about me. I would have thought therapy would help, but all those years of picking up on psychology, it only made my assumptions feel more reassuring.

It's frustrating, but at least I'm alive, and I'm here. :P

string555

Banned
    Years
  • I think I really just need people to talk to. :/

That being said, there's something I need to get off of my mind that's been weighing on me for some time. I tried sharing it on a different site, but talking to a wall doesn't really help. Sorry to drop something like this on you poor people. Here goes. :(

Several years ago, I saw some things on the internet that were beyond $#&*&^# up. These were things that happened to young girls. Sometimes these images would pop-up in my head, but I was able to brush them aside for a long time. Then, more recently, I came across a girl on Youtube that looked just like one of the girls. I know she wasn't the same girl, but I freaked out, thought something happened to her, and ended up looking like a total creep. I probably scared the hell out of that poor girl. :(

Ever since then, I've been running into a lot more things that trigger those memories. I think the only way to get those girls to stop haunting my mind is to continue to work towards actually stopping that problem. There have been countless times where I think "No, there's nothing I could possibly do to solve the problem it's pointless". And in that moment I've wanted to call it quits completely. But, at this point, nothing would be more insulting and dishonorable to those girls to just call it quits like that. I can die after I've actually accomplished something.

So again, sorry to drop that on you people. If I can help it, I'm not going to go to those dark places anywhere else on this site. As far as anyone else is concerned on here, it's all just sunshine and happiness in my head! :D :D :D

:(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So again, sorry to drop that on you people. If I can help it, I'm not going to go to those dark places anywhere else on this site. As far as anyone else is concerned on here, it's all just sunshine and happiness in my head! :D :D :D

:(
    I unfortunately don't think I have any meaningful help for the rest of what you've said, but for this bit at least: You don't have to be rainbows and sunshine all the time on here or anywhere else. You're human and so everything's not always going to be fantastic, so if you need to vent or something, you need to vent or something. It's ok to.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Thank you. I guess I just don't want to be a downer to people, there's no reason to bring everyone else down around me. As long as I'm talking to people about anything else, I can get my mind off of that for a while, at least.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I have two pet desert tortoises, but one of them passed away, and the cause of death is unknown. I've had the tortoise since I was in 1st grade. It was 8 years old when I first adopted it, so it died at its mid-20s, so I found its death strange because desert tortoises live for about 50 to 80 years. I tried telling my parents to take the dead tortoise to a vet for what killed her, so the same doesn't happen to my other tortoise, but my father thinks it's too late for that, which is why I came here to ask you guys for help. Should I still bring my dead tortoise to a vet to check for an autopsy, or should I listen to my parents on not doing so?

And just to let you guys know, I live in a desert region of California, so the environmental conditions are suitable enough for my tortoises to live healthy, and my house has a patio on the second floor for shading and a small dog/cat house for them to sleep in to either escape from the heat or for hibernating. I also feed them washed lettuce even though my backyard has mostly grass for them to eat as well.

Years
  • I have two pet desert tortoises, but one of them passed away, and the cause of death is unknown. I've had the tortoise since I was in 1st grade. It was 8 years old when I first adopted it, so it died at its mid-20s, so I found its death strange because desert tortoises live for about 50 to 80 years. I tried telling my parents to take the dead tortoise to a vet for what killed her, so the same doesn't happen to my other tortoise, but my father thinks it's too late for that, which is why I came here to ask you guys for help. Should I still bring my dead tortoise to a vet to check for an autopsy, or should I listen to my parents on not doing so?

And just to let you guys know, I live in a desert region of California, so the environmental conditions are suitable enough for my tortoises to live healthy, and my house has a patio on the second floor for shading and a small dog/cat house for them to sleep in to either escape from the heat or for hibernating. I also feed them washed lettuce even though my backyard has mostly grass for them to eat as well.

If you're concerned, check. You're 24, it's not up to your parents.

string555

Banned
    Years

I would, if it turned out to be some kind of tortoise disease, there's a chance that the other one might have it. If you knew what it was, you could treat the other one. Pets are really family, right?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • my grandmother just passed away from cancer. Im not sure what kind because the hospital said it could be one of a number of types, but they knew she had stage IV about a month ago when i visited her in the hospital.

the last time i saw her i cried, but when i heard the news from my dad that she died, i didnt cry. I dont know why, but could it be that she was already "dead" to me? Was i wrong for thinking this?

And this experience is also the first time I've seen my dad cry (it was his mom). how do i comfort him? what do i say to him? Im at a total loss for words.

this is the first major death in the family I've been around for and i just really dont know what to do emotionally. i know i need to pack for the funeral and stuff, but how else can i support my dad?

My mom also said there is a strong possibility that i will be reading some passages from the Bible during the funeral. I'm really nervous for this... what if i get emotional in front of everyone and screw it up? and i just have stage fright in general. Am I selfish for thinking of myself here instead of everyone else's feelings?

string555

Banned
    Years
  • my grandmother just passed away from cancer. Im not sure what kind because the hospital said it could be one of a number of types, but they knew she had stage IV about a month ago when i visited her in the hospital.

the last time i saw her i cried, but when i heard the news from my dad that she died, i didnt cry. I dont know why, but could it be that she was already "dead" to me? Was i wrong for thinking this?

And this experience is also the first time I've seen my dad cry (it was his mom). how do i comfort him? what do i say to him? Im at a total loss for words.

this is the first major death in the family I've been around for and i just really dont know what to do emotionally. i know i need to pack for the funeral and stuff, but how else can i support my dad?

My mom also said there is a strong possibility that i will be reading some passages from the Bible during the funeral. I'm really nervous for this... what if i get emotional in front of everyone and screw it up? and i just have stage fright in general. Am I selfish for thinking of myself here instead of everyone else's feelings?

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I think you didn't cry this time because you already got it out of you, basically you already got through the stages of grief before she passed.

You might not need to do a whole lot to comfort your Dad. Just being there for them is often enough to help them. I went through the same experience when my Grandma passed, and it was also the first time I saw my Dad cry (It was his Mom). I cried too, only because he cried. But I believe that just by being there for him, it may have helped him through it. So as long as you're there for him, that should be enough.

Don't worry if you get emotional when reading those passages, it's really an expected thing. At worse, you'll make other family members cry, but that's not such a bad thing. Crying in that situation is natural, and it's actually better to let your feelings leak out like that instead of holding them back.

I think if you just do things how it feels right, you and your family will be fine. Hang in there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back