• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: here's how bernie sanders can still win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfetch’d

retail work is awful and everything is apparently the cashier's fault

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I miss my previous job. I had my own office, they paid me really well, and I felt independent. I want to get something similar to that soon, but hopefully it's nothing like I have to sacrifice my life and soul towards that job. It was horrible.

I like my current job! Though it doesn't pay that well to start, it's still a city job with full benefits/insurance and this is my first time having any of that lol. I'm going to stay in this department for a year or two and then look at moving up because I need a wayyy higher salary to live comfortably in NYC. Everything's so expensive here. I mean, I can afford an apartment, but it won't be in Manhattan. ):

All my other jobs were either reception, retail, internships, or temp work. None of which had growth since I either was told beforehand it was only for a few months, or there wasn't enough space to get promoted in these small businesses. Or it's retail which I never intended to be c areer. woop 3:

Years
    I can only really do deskwork, but I have a business degree so it should be easy to find a job on it.

It isn't.

Sirfetch’d

Things I like about my job: My manager is employees first. She doesn't buy into "the customer is ALWAYS right" bullshit

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Saw the name of the new pets section and thought I was seeing some unauthorized forum for a moment there.

pkmin3033

It should not be as hard as it is to find a job these days...it's like everyone is hiring, but nobody wants to hire you specifically...

pkmin3033

Although most of that time can be blamed on me feeling depressed and not bothering to apply at certain parts of the year because of all of the rejection emails I kept getting.
    At least you got rejection e-mails...a large percentage of employers don't even bother to tell you if you've got a chance or not, and as these things can take weeks anyway, you can be left wondering if you'll actually get to hear back from them. It's kinda annoying wondering if it's safe to apply and accept another job you might not want as much when the job you really want may or may not be open to you. Patience is a virtue, but time is money, and the latter wins out in this case.

Back when I finished University, I think I sent out about 30 letters and applications...I remember I had two interviews, and three rejections. The rest went unanswered.

pkmin3033

I sometimes wonder how many applications these people really get and if they're just lazy in processing them or not...if you want workers THAT badly, replies should happen pretty quickly, not weeks after the fact >.>

pkmin3033

The response I got for my current job took 24 hours after I applied. In fact, I got two jobs that contacted me roughly hours apart. That's how you can tell they're mostly worth your time!

That and I also make sure to respond to recent postings since I know they'll be looked at more than job postings that are weeks old, and only apply on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesdays since later in the week probably isn't ideal.
    I guess it depends on the job/sector in question...my last job I applied in February, they got back to me in the middle of March, and I was working for them by the end of April. When I worked retail I heard back in a couple of days and was working that same weekend. Just some you would think that have urgent need of workers can take forever to call you in if they're going to.

Yeah, part of it is luck and timing, too. A lot of places won't bother to take job postings . Or they'll just put them up for the sake of appearing fair because they already have someone in mind but can't appear to show favouritism...I'm positive I've lost out on more than a few jobs because of that.

pkmin3033

Unemployed for three years, five months and counting...getting worried that when I'm capable of working again I'll never get a job because nobody will want to hire someone who has been out of work for so long...

Sirfetch’d

Unemployed for three years, five months and counting...getting worried that when I'm capable of working again I'll never get a job because nobody will want to hire someone who has been out of work for so long...

As long as you have previous work experience and can provide reasoning as to why you've been unemployed, I don't think any company should hold that against you too much. Though I don't know really. You might have to end up working a less than desirable job for a few months just to boost your resume up a bit and then move to something more appealing.

pkmin3033

As long as you have previous work experience and can provide reasoning as to why you've been unemployed, I don't think any company should hold that against you too much. Though I don't know really. You might have to end up working a less than desirable job for a few months just to boost your resume up a bit and then move to something more appealing.
    That's what I keep telling myself, although it's still a worry. I'm just a worrier by nature, and I won't feel entirely secure until I have something nailed down. There's a lot of support available to get back into work, though. I'm thinking of volunteering in a library again for a while or something.

...honestly, I'd settle for any part-time morning job at this point. I'm not in a position to be choosy anymore like I was when I left University. xD

pkmin3033

I don't think I'm fit for physical labour of any kind somehow. xD;

Plus I'd drive my co-workers mad with Hi-Ho literally all day

pkmin3033

When I worked retail I had to stand on the checkout for 8 hours, that was pretty bad even though I was in better shape back then. I didn't mind moving around to take delivery and stuff, but I wish I could have sat down back then...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back