• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Honestly, whoever thought of events should be fired

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Yeah events themselves are awesome, but how they are given out is ridiculous..but theyre mostly collectible pokes anyways so if theyre not hard to get kinda defeats the purpose a tad :/

CyberSamurai

Devoted Battler
    Years
    well i know that the majority of events will be wifi now except a few that will go along with movie releases. and im also pretty sure another event is coming up soon for hg/ss.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    If I remember right, the Azure Flute hasn't been released yet. :/ So, what's going on now? Did they forget about it now that they're promoting HGSS? Looks like it's gonna meet the same fate as the Altering Caves in FR/Lg and Emerald, which was put in the latter for no reason since the event wasn't even held at all.

I think the Altering Caves were intended to utilize e-Reader cards, where if you swiped different ones, different, non-Hoenn Pokemon would appear. IMO, it still can be likened to events, since you have to pay money to get the e-Reader device (which, IIRC, most GBA games didn't even use much), get the actual e-Reader cards, and swipe them. Other than that, the Altering Caves are simply: Zubat for you. Tough.

Ugh...

I have missed so many events in my time it's sickening....

My sentiments exactly. I am still stuck in Generation III, and am hoping to get Platinum and HeartGold (along with a 3DS?) sometime in the future to sample what I can of Gen IV. But by the time I get them, most, if not all, of Gen IV events will be discontinued, as all the attention will have shifted to Gen V by then in full swing. It's disheartening to learn about all these wonderful Pokemon that one virtually has no hope of obtaining due to extraneous circumstances... :(

I personally think events can be handled better. Why not have a wi-fi shop in game that uses in game currency that has items and pokemon specific to each region and make these items/pokes tradeable on the gts? They could also destroy the link between the pokedex and gts (I.e. stop limiting you to search for pokes that you've seen) So then people can have pride in saying they got a certain poke and if others didn't like what they got they can TRADE for it like the original game formula intended. No people getting left out, no one gets nothing and things would be better than the crappy event system we have now.

^Very innovative idea. I'm all for the trading version exclusives (but with trading, I feel sorry for players who have no friends that play Pokemon near them in their local areas. I can only hope they can get to a Wi-Fi station...). But it's very annoying that even when you buy multiple Pokemon game versions in one Gen, you still can't "catch 'em all", per the franchise's former slogan. And 3 games I believe would be at least $90?(for roughly 3 games that roughly offer the same thing with slight but key differences)

Making players earn their way up to version exclusives isn't as painstaking as collecting all versions, plus attending events (which some countries don't even have as opportunities). Seriously, with the amount some Pokemon players have paid for games each Gen, you'd think Game Freak/Nintendo could be lenient and make all Pokemon available in game in some method. Or at the least, make a large majority of them obtainable in-game, and use the above "method" to get version exclusives and Legendaries via GTS.

Aside from backup purposes, events are one of the main reasons I would consider Action Replay or PokeSav usage. And even worse is the scarcity of said event Pokemon. Say an event Pokemon is offered August 1-7, at limited locations. You obtain the aforementioned event Pokemon. On September 2nd, you happen to take a bus ride somewhere. Your stop is nearing, so you decide to start saving. However, while saving, the bus hits a bump, your GBA or DS flies out of your hand, and the cartridge accidently dislodges while saving.
    Congrats, your save file is corrupted, you lost a few legitimately trained Level 100s as well as event Pokemon that will most likely never be available again, and you have to start from scratch. While I haven't lost event Pokemon (I've never had any to begin with in my videogame-playing lifetime), I have lost Level 100s through cartridge dislodgement during saving on Sapphire (not in the hypothetical manner I suggested).

Anyway, it's annoying that one would have to spend additional time and effort to get a Pokemon outside of the game that can be trivialized to a bunch of bits and bytes of data that can easily be lost. I mean, I paid enough for the system and the game, so can I at least complete the game's main purpose without unnecessary external measures?

Sorry about the long rant, but this is one of the few Pokemon I am passionate about, yet I should not have to be. Anytime the term "event Pokemon" is brought up, I get a bit depressed because it just means "Pokemon that I will never get to be the OT of, or even obtain in the first place." I just wish Game Freak could be a bit more considerate to those of us who lack Wi-Fi or live in remote areas or countries without event opportunites.
    Yes, I know, life isn't going to be easy, but if you have to the ability to alleviate the plight of others (in this case, GF letting players have the maximum game experience by placing all event Pokemon in-game and implementing alternate methods like the above in-game currency idea), wouldn't you use that ability to help others the best you can?

(And if all those Pokemon moviegoers must have some kind of perk, I believe a Pokemon with a specially-designed normally-unobtainable moveset and a special "movie-event" Ribbon or something would suffice for the occasion... But even this proposed idea I dislike...) Just remove all "events", short and simple. The players already have enough trouble getting up to 300 Pokemon - we don't need to later find out that all that work was for nothing because we can't complete the PokeDex anyway in-game...)

EDIT: Another idea for version exclusives is that they can be gotten with in-game trades, but different versions have difficult and different requirements...

UltimaSilva

Varsity Quarterback
    Years
    IMO, I think events are the only way to have a full pokedex without hacking or trading. At least for the legendaries anyway. I agree with people who don't like the limited number of days for events though.

Bedazzled

Master of magikarp
    Years
    Honestly, it's fun when you find out that there is an upcoming event, like the Scizor in Japanese HG/SS (THIS FRIDAY!!!!!!), but live events are a different thing. I gotta get those in the trade threads. I live in Canada (カナダ) and it is a royal pain when they announce an event that you need to go to Gamestop or Toys R' Us or to some Pokemon Movie and get them. It's not fair to all the other players! Especially those that live in another country! It's not like I'm going to apply for a passport, save up 5000 dollars and go to New York to get the event Pokemon that comes out that day! Let Canadians get in on some of this!!! :(

I'm not spending that much to go to new york to get a part of a game..i don't even think i have that much. xD the live events are just a ripoff for people outside of the US and Japan. And i'm not driving that far to get a pokemon. I could just go buy AR and get it myself and spend less on that than i would in gas money.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Events are stupid, yes. I got my Platinum after the Darkrai and Rotom events. ;; And like you said, my only other option now is to hack. -_-;

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
    because nintendo is japanese, they get all the events!!!
    they have got a mew(twice) scizor,ash's pikachu, darkrai,shaymin,arceus,ect..
    and in britain, they dont do the events at any agme shops,(well,in cardiff) and havnt shown a movie since the third one
    which makes nintendo racist

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    I think the events are cool, but they should be repeated once or twice after their initial event.

Though I like in the U.K and have not heard of any of these events taking place.

Edit:

It doesn't make them racist, it's simply because Pokemon is (probably) more popular over in Japan hence the more events.

DraconicDino

Lurker
    Years
    The main thing that pains me was that I missed the Toys R Us Arceus because I got bored of Pokemon for a while. D: I was so sure they'd do a second event like they did with Darkrai in Platinum, but no, now I must have an eternally empty slot in my Pokedex...
    But yes, the events are pretty messed up. So what if Pokemon's more popular in Japan than everywhere else? There are still multitudes of fans who would love to get Ash's Pikachu! And of course there's the whole situation with entire countries missing out on Pokemon... And what fenyx4 said...

Itstoppedatumbreon

Years
    if its more popular in japan then its favouritism!!!
    ok,say you worked in game
    2 kids go to your shop. one buys hg
    the other buys ss and hg
    you say "you bought both,il let you finish the game "
    while the other kid,who is poorer and cannot afford both games, isnt aloud a complete game becasue he isnt good enough in the game owners eyes
    btw the rich kid is japan,poor won uk and the shop owenr is nintendo
    how is that fair on the uk. because they have half more fans than japan, they get less. how do the fans who bought the game in uk feel?
    if like 100 ppl bought it i would understand, but no, MILLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    millions who cannot finish ther egames because nintendo are favourtising the japanese cos they like, thee games the most

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    As for the two editions, Nintendo know that so many people love their Pokemon games. So much so they can create two games with very subtle differences (being the Pokemon) that some people will buy both editions. It's business sense, not favouritism.

I did find it disheartening that I wouldn't be able to see those cool events in-game, as I thought the (kind of) cutscenes were cool. Luckily a guy gave me his TRU Arceus and I was able to see that event. My Celebi didn't work in Elix Forest though, perhaps because it was the 10th Anniversary one, not sure.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for events come Black and White's release day. I'm sure GAME may have something going on, possibly HMV.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Years
    game have never had anything on, and the nearst hmv is at least 45 minutes away, and if you walk around the streets of cardiff with a ds and pokemon going to get an event,youll get mocked for the rest of your life
    btw i live on the outskirts of cardiff, nowhere near the town centre

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    They not have done in the past, but GAME/HMV have been battling it out with 'Pre-Order Exclusives' recently, perhaps Black and White may be part of that. I'd just buy it cheaper elsewhere, yet go to both shops and download what they're offering through their Wi-Fi, if that's how it'd work.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Years
    ok maybe they will give it out. but what about the people who dont live near cardiff or a HMV? they will be denied the opportunity to possibly finish a game which they paid for and expected to have all the pokemon availible. what if sumin in a small island in thenorth wanted a arceus say. there not gonna go to hmv inland to get a pokemon just to finisha game are they???
    just put 1 event poke in each game i say and send it out twice by wifi

Back