• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Horses in gaming...

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    Are they all just inherently awful to control? In my entire life I honestly can't think of a single game that offers good horse controls. Practically all of them stop abruptly the moment you get within five feet of almost anything, they often ignore your orders, some even get scared or tired and buck you off.

Have you ever played a game you felt had good horse controls? What have been the absolute worst?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    D-Horse in MGS:V controls well for the most part. You can't run over people and kill them though I think? But yeah, he's cool.

Last edited:
    Years
    Y'know, I can't think of any horse controls in video games I've played that I thought were bad/had difficulty with. I didn't even mind the horse controls in Shadow of the Colossus, which some people said were bad. Some really cool horseback battles in that game.

Yukari

You know I've never really had an issue with the horse controls in games. That I can think of at least.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Good horse controls? Mount & Blade. Excellent series otherwise, too. You can generally barrel through crowds of enemies unless they're particularly dense. Lancing people for five times their health in damage is fun (and raises the polearm skill insanely fast) at least until it happens to you.

Worst... it's not that bad, but D-Horse's steering in MGS V is quite bothersome. At least it's better than constantly slamming into rocks and being practically unable to steer at any real speed while driving an actual vehicle.

Also, Skyrim is a bit annoying, but only because it's not like Mount & Blade. You can use a bow on horseback but can't aim for **** while moving in a direction you want because of the fact the horse steers relative to the camera facing.

Years
    Since Skyrim, I've tried to avoid horses in most games if I can help it. Assassins Creed, Skyrim, The Witcher. Controlling horses in these games is such a pain that I don't even bother. I havent had too much trouble with D-Horse in MGSV, but then I don't use him much so idk.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I actually like using horses in Skyrim for travel, but that's it. Battling on horseback is a pain so I don't bother with that.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Wait a minute! Nobody here even mentioned Red Dead Redemption! This to date the only game where I really loved the horse controls ! Though I must say riding your horse in Twilight Princess is pretty fin too.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I think Samurai Warriors 2 and Dynasty Warriors 5 have a really good horse controls. Easy to master and most of characters in the game have decent horseback moveset while small number of characters have disgustingly good horseback moveset.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    The only horse I can say I used a lot is the horse in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.

Oh and in Harvest Moon Animal Parade too, this map is huge! But in this game you can ride a cow too hehe.

Back