• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you rank gen 9 overall, in comparison to the earlier entries?

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2022
    The criticism regarding the technical performance is certainly justified, but I struggle to see how this game is the ugly unpolished slog many mainstream critics are making it out to be. I think the switch to an open world is a win overall, and the visuals are a step above the prior entries. In some areas, there's definitely a lack of lighting or shading, but the environments to seem quite a bit denser than other open world switch titles.
    As a general Pokemon game, I would actually put it up there with my favorite generations. (My favorites are 2/5/7).
    My only complaint would be the low amount of paradox Pokemon. I could do with a few more. (Likely to be revealed in a DLC expansion of some kind.)

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Pokémon fans are often extremely nitpicky and hard to satisfy, no matter what the developers do, as they would always find something to complain about. Based upon my experiences with the game, rating this game is complicated. Compared to the other titles, I arguably had the most fun playing this game because of the vast open world and the huge variety of Pokémon to catch in the open, something that I enjoy about the wild areas in Pokémon Sword and Shield, which leaves me playing the games and enjoying myself for long unhealthy hours. I also love the Union Circle, which allows me to connect to the net and set out on adventures with my friends. It's perhaps the best part of the game for me. However, other aspects prevent me from rating this game a perfect 10/10 such as horrible performance issues, weak day/night cycle with no real-time clock, lack of Pokédex variety from a competitive standpoint, and pointless nerfs to Pokémon movesets and their abilities. Beginning with the performance issues, the game crashed on me four times since I've played it, even after the update. The worst part is that it would crash every time I spent hours grinding for TM crafting materials and I had to start over each time because, for some reason, it never autosaved, which was probably another glitch.

Other than the game constantly crashing on me usually when opening the map, I haven't experienced any other major glitches. Next, regarding the lack of a real-time clock, Pokémon in my experiences always had a real-time day/night cycle, but for some reason, they did away with this on the main console. I have no clue why they couldn't include this for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, but it's really a minor issue. I still enjoy the game regardless. The lack of variety in the Pokédex from a competitive standpoint is alarming, however. For example, practically no Water-type special sweepers exist in the game, as most of the Water-type Pokémon are physical attackers. If they are special attackers, they are typically slow and/or bulky instead of fast special attacking hard hitters. The same applies to a lot of Psychic-types as well. This isn't good if you're trying to build a competitive team. In addition, the developers nerfed a lot of things that they shouldn't have. For example, Protean was nerfed to only work once per switch in, making the ability much weaker now, but still managed to create a bunch of other overpowered things such as Palafin and Paradox Pokémon. Thus, overall, in the game's current state, I would give them a solid 8/10. I rank it slightly better than Pokémon Sword and Shield, much better than Pokémon Legends: Arceus, but thus far, still pales in comparison to Pokémon Black (2) White (2) and Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon for me personally.

NoobMaster_6ix9

NoobMaster
    Years
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    One thing I wish you could change was to turn off wild spawns running to you.

One thing I liked about old games was you didn't have to constantly run around to dodge Pokemon running into you.

Likewise hate running into a small Pokemon and when in a battle other Pokemon will camp on you so ypu are thrown into a battle with them.

In battle you should be invisible to other wild Pokemon. Also if a Pokemon is 10 levels below you should run right through them.

Years
    Its…complicated. With the jank and some problems i have its kinda hard to call it top tier…

BUT the concept and free reigns in the main quest are REALLY SOLID. I personally would put this as my favorite pokemon game along with black and white 2, which i dont say lightly. Critically? A flawed mess that's probably only like middle tier. Personally? The top with gen 5. I just like alot about it

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    honestly, the cute pet dragon, the fleshed out friends group, the cool professors and actual storylines - and Tinkaton - seem to make these games pretty darn solid compared to earlier titles even though they seem half half the graphics level they should be at for the console and year. i was not planning on ever getting a Switch myself, but i admit i am itching for it a little bit after seeing stuff from these games and hearing everybody praise it.

Years
    • Seen today
    Needed some more time in the oven... well, like most Pokémon games so far. Rushing the games is a persistent habit.

But still I'd rate it above the last three gens main games (especially above SwSh)

Spoiler:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    One of my favorites next to Unova, Hoenn, and Alola - largely because of the story. It gets incredible later and on and I am a huge fan of its direction and some of the music you hear later on. Would say Unova ranks highest for me, but Paldea is a close second along with my other favorites!

I strongly agree with this. It seems we have similar views on our favorite regions and games overall.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Bittersweet / 10
    although I haven't finished it still, so my opinion could change

I love the idea, I love the concept, this is the only game in the franchise so far that has made care about exploration. I can genuinely feel the love put into it as it is a giant step from what's traditionally been done and I definitely do think that it was largely a step in the right direction from the franchise. And it's quite possibly a top contender for being in the Top 3 for me.

That said, Scarlet and Violet are a buggy mess. The game corrupted itself on me (and on the original and only hardware it was programmed to run on, not even an emulator) which is terrifying for a variety of reasons. It was the only serious problem I had, but it's a very serious one and a completely unacceptable one at that.

Like, I can live with graphical glitches or framerate drops even if they aren't ideal and are something to complain about, but game corruption could be the difference between having a cartridge and a 60 dollar paperweight. Fortunately it wasn't the case for me (I got the game on the high seas so it was only a matter of reinstalling it) but I shudder to think of this happening to like a kid on Christmas or their birthday or something.

And the worst thing is that I know exactly why the games are buggy and that the reason is systemic and so deeply entrenched into Pokemon as a franchise that I don't think it will ever be solved. And that's a bleak and bitter thought.

tl;dr: I think it's a fun game suffering from late stage capitalism

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like the game a lot and would possibly put it up there with Gen 5 (which has long been my favorite generation). It's certainly not a flawless game, but it's been good, and it's kinda funny that it turned out relatively good given how easily it could've been a dumpster fire, since it was also so obviously rushed.

Back