• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How important/unimportant is type overlap on teams for you?

Years
In a standard playthrough, do you try not to overlap types on your team, or do you not care as much about overlap? Do you try not to have any type overlap whatsoever or does some overlap not bother you? Or do you not care about how many similar types you have at all? If it's important not to have too many Pokémon of the same type for you, is there a line you draw for it (such as two Pokémon sharing a type out of six maximum)?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
Avoids type overlap a lot. Stomachs something like (Fire / Flying) and (Grass / Flying) okay. Would not want (Flying) and (Grass / Flying) on a team, though. Usually defaults to one of them. Rarely sends out the other. Feels unfair to it. Effectively plays down a Pokemon too.

Might allow a type overlap in the event of different roles too. Typically designates Pokemon as Damage or Support. Could easily work with, say:
- Damage Raichu. Moves: Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Surf, Draining Kiss
- Support Pachirisu. Moves: Charm, Nuzzle, Eerie Impulse, U-turn

Carries the same mono-Electric typing. Calls upon them for different reasons. Never detracts from each other.

Days
I try not to have type overlap on my teams, if only because years of training/punishment from other, more difficult/nuanced RPGs have taught me the value of variety and not having a party filled with damage dealers and not a single healer, haha. But more recently I've been going by aesthetic design when it comes to Pokemon, because the games are so simple it doesn't really matter if I have an entire team weak to one specific type or whatever...plus I can just use a move that type is weak against, or brute force my way through it by being overlevelled. So it depends on the Pokemon available!

Years
I generally try to avoid it, but if I like a mon enough I'll overlook it.

Like in Shield I picked up both a Rolycoly and Chewtle and kept both for the entire playthrough. They start out as a pure Rock & a pure Water type.
Then eventually I ended up with Coalossal and Drednaw and got a Rock type overlap because Drednaw gains the Rock type. I liked both mons too much to bench either and just stuck with them.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I had a few teams with two, or three: Normal, Flying, Poison, Fighting, and one with three Rock types because it was a Sandstorm team. I don't remember ever repeating types other than those.

But most of the time yeah, I try to avoid type overlaps if possible, unless I'm doing a themed run or challenge. Mainly because one naturally wants as much type variety as possible, and there are 18 types but you can only have up to 12 with everyone being dual typed.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
I feel like I'm the only one here who prefers to have a lot of type overlap, haha. Even when I don't play a monotype run, I usually have half my party share a type. I do try to avoid having two Pokemon with the exact same type combo (e.g. Pidgeot and Fearow), though.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Pretty important, I'd say. I tend to fixate on it, whether to diversify my team, or, conversely, make them all the same type. If I have one, two, or six Pokémon on my team with the same type, I'm fine, but anything other than those three numbers is an oversight on my part.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I don't care. It's going to happen, and usually does. I end up never having a team with fully unique teams, so it doesn't matter to me.

Years
I'd say it's an important thing for me but not the most important since I'll gladly have a type overlap if I really like and want to use 2 Pokemon that share a type (see my signature for my most recent playthrough where I used both Feraligatr and Dewgong).

I'd say the most important thing for me is the design of the Pokemon, then the movepool since I don't always enjoy using Pokemon that don't learn a lot of good and type diverse moves and then I guess as my 3rd most important thing is that I try to avoid type overlap if I can. When I can't avoid it then I usually don't use more than 2 Pokemon that share a type unless I'm doing a monotype run.

Last edited:
Years
I try not to, but if there's like one or two type overlaps it's ok (if we're talking about second types though). I tend to have a variegated team that tries to cover all the other types.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
Years
I've definitely made it more of a concern over the years. It feels nice to arrange a team of Pokemon with no overlapping types to me, kind of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Empoleon671

不要
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
used too, but don't really care now since i just use favorites or things i like.

im playing through Y for the first time with two water types...

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
As a person who enjoys playing monotypes, I definitely don't mind type overlap. However, regarding my main playthrough teams, I tend to use my favorites. As a result, sometimes, my team would have some Pokémon that shared a type. For instance, in many games, because Starmie is my all-time favorite Pokémon and Gardevoir is one of my favorites, I tend to have them on the same team, and they're both Psychic types. Also, I sometimes have Lucario and Magnezone on the same team, which are both part Steel-types. However, if it's just an in-game playthrough, I don't worry too much about it because the NCPs never give me much of a challenge anyways. Yet, if types overlap, I try to have more than two of the same type on a team. Nonetheless, I did build a Gym Leader Water-type team, which I actually did use in Pokémon Sword, and it is really good. Of course, every Pokémon shares the Water-type and I really love to that team.

stringzzz

Banned
Days
As a user of a ghost type team, I pay no attention to the overlap. However, if it weren't for the terrastilizing deal, my team would probably be able to do almost nothing against a Choice Scarf wielding Meowscarada using knock-off, as these have often wrecked my team. The only 2 defenses I have against that are one poke using Focus Sash, or switching to a tera type that resists Dark moves.

In-game, though, it really doesn't seem to matter at all. Just a Ceruledge with a high enough level is enough to sweep most in-game characters.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
Keeping a balance is pretty important to me, I try to avoid too much type overlap. One things for sure, I'll never have two that are mono type of the same type. But I might have two that have Fairy typing along with another typing, like my current Sword run has Galarian Rapidash and Alolan Ninetales. It just couldn't be avoided. They're two of my top favorite Pokemon. They cover the Psychic and Ice bases individually along with Fairy. If they were both mono Fairy then I'd have to choose one.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I look more at shared weakness. If they overlap but still cover type weakness it's okay for me.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Yeah, sometimes repeating types doesn't result in shared weaknesses. E.g. you could have Gardevoir and Girafarig, it's more of an issue on the offensive aspect, because repeating Psychic would take away a slot for another move type you may need more.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
I'm perfectly willing to have overlapping types so long as they have different niches and secondary types - I once used Azumarill and Gardevoir on the same AlphaSapphire run. Both were fairies, but Gardevoir was a Special attacker while Azumarill was Physical. I try to avoid it as much as possible since I prefer covering as many types as possible.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
Years
I rarely ever do type overlaps, as I try to get as much coverage as I can. Usually I have Pokemon learn other type moves over having the same type. Though during my nuzlocke, I did learn how to use overlapping types well, as I had a Drapion and a Crobat, which covered each other's weaknesses, and were really good in double battles together.

Back