• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been playing for?

Years
    Whether you're an old fan from the 90s, or a new fan that's recently started playing because of X and Y, we all share a passion for the Pokemon series. So how long have you guys been playing the games for? And what keeps you playing today?

Personally, I started playing when FireRed was released so about 12 years ago now, it's crazy to think that FR is that old and yet I can play it time and time again without getting bored. I think the main reason I still play Pokemon today is down to the replay-ability of the games, I love exploring the Pokemon world and completing the games each time with a different team sure is fun, not to mention the games today are still amazing and I think Game Freak deserve a lot of credit.

So, how about you guys? :)

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    My first game was Stadium in like 1999 or 2000, so I've been playing a really long time! My first main series game was Crystal, which I played via the Transfer Pak in Stadium 2. Dang, I feel old.

Years
    My first game was Stadium in like 1999 or 2000, so I've been playing a really long time! My first main series game was Crystal, which I played via the Transfer Pak in Stadium 2. Dang, I feel old.

Nice! Crystal was such a good game and Pokemon Stadium gave something new to the fans, do you still play the recent games? :)

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    Definitely! Patiently waiting for Sun and Moon. I would die if a Stadium 3 ever happened.

I agree with what you said about how replayable Pokemon is. The games age so well, even the very first generation is still good. (As we saw back in February)

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    Give me around the first generation, which i got the Red version while a friend of mine got Blue. I played the main series games for quiet a while, keeping up with the releases, with the 4th and 5th gen being my favorite gens since thats when i started to battle competitively or at least get the hang of it. So call me an old timer with the Pokemon games, though my competitive battling skills have far fallen off so anyone could easily beat the sh*t out of me if i were to be invited even just for fun.

Niccia

Chocolate Witch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2017
    My first Pokemon game was LeafGreen, I really enjoyed it. I can explain why I still playing these games, It's just that I love capturing and training, and the pokemons are so cute, it gives me a good sensation while playing, the music, the graphics, its atmosphere... I'm sure I will still playing pokemon for a long time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I starting playing when Pokemon red came out. I played that for about 2 years then I played the yellow and then picked it up a few years later.

Now I am a full time pokemon go player lol :) and even starting playing pokemon red again which is probably my favourite game ever!!

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I liked the Pokemon anime since 1999, but I never played any game until 2005. My first game was LeafGreen.

Years
    My first Pokemon game was LeafGreen, I really enjoyed it. I can explain why I still playing these games, It's just that I love capturing and training, and the pokemons are so cute, it gives me a good sensation while playing, the music, the graphics, its atmosphere... I'm sure I will still playing pokemon for a long time.

I feel exactly the same :)

There's just a special feeling about playing a Pokemon game that can't be replicated by anything else.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I started with Red/Blue/Yellow around like 1998 or so (it wasn't the first year it was released in NA but it was around there somewhere) so it's like.....17-18 years now?

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
    I started with Pokemon Yellow and quickly obtained Pokemon Crystal aswell, I think I would've been around 6-7 at the time? 2001/02? I'm not 100% sure to be honest. But since then, I've never missed a generation, and I don't think I ever will. Just now I'm getting my old game boy advanced out so I can run through FireRed and LeafGreen again

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    I'm a Sinnoh kid, being in my mid-teens now. Diamond was my first game, LeafGreen my second (fabulous AI and all), Platinum and HeartGold (the best game in the series) not too far behind. I am still here for many reasons. I enjoy the competitive aspect of the game now, but for a long time it was the TCG that kept me in it.

Guest123_x1

I started out playing Pokémon games once I got Yellow for Christmas in 1999. I was kind of reluctant (you know how I am about gifts) at first, but once I loaded the Game Pak into my Game Boy Color, I was hooked instantly. However, I kind of lost interest in the games, not having gotten a Game Boy Advance for Generation III, and, after trading in my Generation I and II games in early 2006, only got back into Pokémon gaming on an actual Nintendo handheld when I got my 2DS and Alpha Sapphire (both used) back in January 2015. Even at that, though, I haven't played AS, Y, or even the Virtual Console re-releases of R/B/Y (which of course I had to get because I wanted to relive the memories of Generation I) much in the past few months, as I've had other things to do. Maybe in the fall, when the weather gets cold and I'm unable to take walks as much, I'll be playing more, and am hoping to get Sun or Moon after it comes out.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I've played since Blue released back in 1999 and been a fan ever since. That would make it around 17 years now and I still feel the same about the series as I did back then. (:

Years
    I started with Stadium and Gold in fifth grade... so around 2000/2001. I did watch a few episodes of the anime before that though. I remember being super disappointed when Ruby and Sapphire had almost nothing to do after the Elite Four.

I temporarily stopped playing Pokemon between 2006-2010 because I thought I was "too old" to still be playing it, and I'd quit watching the anime regularly after they replaced Misty with May and Max. I didn't play Diamond until last year. I started playing again during college when HG/SS was released. Unfortunately, I've since lost my copy of HG, and it's too expensive to replace it.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    I was interested in Pokemon when it first came out ie I bought card packs, played some of Yellow and Crystal, watched the anime, bought plush and tomy figures, saw the movies. But I was never really into Pokemon or the games until around 2012 when I went back and finished my original playthroughs of both Yellow and Crystal.

The main thing that got me interested in Pokemon again was the full arts in the sets. I discovered them on Youtube in 2013. I stopped buying the cards about 10 years earlier, as well as stopped buying the games and watching the anime/movies. For a few reasons, i didn't like the e-series design, hated the new voice actors, didn't want to buy a ds. After that I bought a 3DS for the first time and Black 2 and Y. I now finished Y in record time, only 3 years. As opposed to Yellow which took 13.

Years
    After that I bought a 3DS for the first time and Black 2 and Y. I now finished Y in record time, only 3 years. As opposed to Yellow which took 13.

Dang 13 years to complete Yellow, some people I know aren't even that old ;)

Are you going to be buying Sun and Moon? :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I first started with Diamond 9 years ago... not as much as some but it feels crazy knowing I've been playing these games for half my life.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Red/Blue came out late '98, and that's pretty much how long I've been playing. It's coming up on 18 years already, which is hard to believe. I remember the craze during my elementary/middle school days. (good times) My love for the franchise has never really dwindled in all the time either.

Back