• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I dont know how to put this...

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
    It seems as Nintendo keeps releasing new pokemon games I dont have the great urge to buy them. Im still considering the purchase of HG/SS, but since pokemon is disliked by many people of my age group I dont think I will buy it. I dont think I will buy it because it will make me seem 'nerdy' and 'immature.' So I dont think I will be purchasing any more pokemon games. The last game I bout was Diamond and then i got my Xbox which made me lose interest in pokemon. So what do you guys do since the idea of pokemon is disliked by so many?

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Do what everyone else does - don't play it in front of those people or even mention it. :P Of course it's up to you, but I think HG/SS is so much better than D/P/Pt and is possibly the best in the series. I think the real question is are you no longer interested in Pokémon genuinely or is it because your friends think it's nerdy?

~Electrivire~

My Imaginary Friend Haz Issuez
    Years
    I tell my friends I play pokemon, and I am twelve... Most people stop playing pokemon at ten, and they don't call me nerdy, I play what I want to play. If people tell me not to play something because it is stupid, I don't listen to them.

Years
    You can be 30 and play Pokemon, as well... You don't need to tell everybody about it, but also you can't worry about someone, who calls it nerdy. If it is a hobby and you like to spend your free time on it, it's only your business. I'm 19 and I played Pokemon for a while (now I had lost my motivation too, but from another reason). My friends don't call me nerdy for this. It's just a hobby.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It's a fun game. No one should bar you for playing a game.That's like telling me I can't watch cartoons or making fun of me because I like Selena Gomez. I can watch and listen to what I want to. No one can stop me. And if they have a problem with what games I play, they can suck it. ;) Besides, you'd be surprised at how many older people that do play, or whose friends got them (back) into Pokemon. I got a lot of people to start playing Pokemon again in my last year of high school. I even found out some other people in my grade still played. There's a lot of people like you that think they'll get made fun of for playing it. You'd probably be surprised at who does. I know I was.

Last edited:
    Years
    Also... [sarcasm]Listen to people of your age group more. I'm sure it will be very useful in your future.[/sarcasm]

Remember - do what you want and be an individualist.

knook

Standing on the Sun
    Years
    I'm in the popular clique at my college, I know and am friends with everyone (nearly everyone, I dislike some people... and people probably just don't tell me they dislike me as well). They dislike Pokémon, yes, well... One of them does play Pokémon as well and she does know far more than me (and she's hot, go figure, eh?). Nobody has ever ostracised me for playing Pokémon, nor have they ever looked down on me from it. Admittedly, when I do mention it they sometimes roll their eyes but when I'm playing it in front of them or near them, they always look over my shoulder, even if it's just for a sense of nostalgia, all of this and I'm 17, the age where you would assume most people would have an issue with it.

However I am ostracised when it comes to Digimon...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    It's weird, because we actually have a group of competitive battlers at my school (who pwned me at our campus anime mini-convention). Age doesn't really matter, a fun game is a fun game.

With that said, I may be losing interest in Pokemon. It took weeks and a big drop in price before I got Soul Silver, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. And I seem completely disinterested in the 5th generation games.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I tell my friends I play pokemon, and I am twelve... Most people stop playing pokemon at ten, and they don't call me nerdy, I play what I want to play. If people tell me not to play something because it is stupid, I don't listen to them.

That's funny. I was eleven when Pokemon Red/Blue even came out in the U.S. and I still got hooked. Even today, while I have several other video game obsessions, Pokemon is one of my favorites. :D

Hell, don't listen to what your peers say. I've seen an 88-year-old woman posting on PC before, asking for game help and advice. XD

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Well,I have the money and all the time in the world to go buy pokemon Hg/SS but i bought pokemon platinum not to lnog ago and even thou i basicly beat it aready,i still trying to collect them all and other other side jobs.

My self i will prob stick with pokemon platinum even after pokemon black and white come out.If i feel the urge to buy it then i will but im not going to just go out and buy a game on graphics because i feel black and white gen 5 pokemon suck and look dumb.

That's funny. I was eleven when Pokemon Red/Blue even came out in the U.S. and I still got hooked. Even today, while I have several other video game obsessions, Pokemon is one of my favorites. :D

Hell, don't listen to what your peers say. I've seen an 88-year-old woman posting on PC before, asking for game help and advice. XD

Agreed,I have been playing pokemon since i was age 5 and i turn 16 in 2 months and i am in the 11th grade.Ignore what others think.Its your life and not there's.

Last edited:

Lv1 Wolf

Wolf use howl
    Years
    Me personally I don't care if people see me playing if they got something to say up there's. its there loss in the end! what I'm trying to say is that if you like pokemon then play with all your heart but if you don't then go ahead give up.

I'm in the popular clique at my college, I know and am friends with everyone (nearly everyone, I dislike some people... and people probably just don't tell me they dislike me as well). They dislike Pokémon, yes, well... One of them does play Pokémon as well and she does know far more than me (and she's hot, go figure, eh?). Nobody has ever ostracised me for playing Pokémon, nor have they ever looked down on me from it. Admittedly, when I do mention it they sometimes roll their eyes but when I'm playing it in front of them or near them, they always look over my shoulder, even if it's just for a sense of nostalgia, all of this and I'm 17, the age where you would assume most people would have an issue with it.

However I am ostracised when it comes to Digimon...
    That's because digimon is more kiddie but pokemon is more on the battle and training to get stronger kind of thing were kids wish to be like ash or brock cus they get to go on adventures at the age of 10.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years

I see that one of them is FE :cool:. But yeah, I went to college and was looking for something to do with my free time (other than party), and I found Pokemon again, and I got at least five of my closest friends to start playing again. Though they aren't as addicted as I am... Their loss.

Kanye West

but you can call me great
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Dec 26, 2015
    You're stopping yourself from doing what you want to do because of what you other people will think of you? Do you think the great Kanye West cares about what other people think? NO! If I think Beyoncé had one of the greatest videos of all time then I'm going to say she had one of the greatest videos of all time no matter what anyone else thinks and you should do the same.

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
    ahaha...thanks guys. I ended up buying HG and i am happy with myself. its so fun and i will just keep it a secret ;)

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
    ahaha...thanks guys. I ended up buying HG and i am happy with myself. its so fun and i will just keep it a secret ;)

Good for you, pal.

I'm 18, I still play Pokemon Games, I let my friends see it, I even let my girlfriend know, even my mom, my sister. Never called me immature, as I know how to prioritize work. Pokemon is just..... addictive. Once I started a "new game," I end up playing countless hours just to "catch 'em all."

Just a tip, who cares if they think Pokemon is stupid,immature, etc? You do what you want to do :) That's the aim of life, happiness.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    wise decision. being put under peer pressure is the one of the most horrible things in the world.
    You might also find that a few of your friends actually pokemon too so you don't exactly need to keep it a secret. I don't exactly keep it a secret, I just don't talk about it unless the topic of conversation turns to it.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years

All I can say is, good choice. If your "friends" have nothing better to do than criticize a hobby of yours, that's kind of sad, right? Just avoid buying too many of the toys or wearing a Pikachu hat, lol.

Look, I'm a grad student and I still love playing these games. They're deep, complex games that reward planning, patience, and (if you're like all of us here on PC) working with others. On top of all that, how many games can give you hundreds of hours of gameplay for an initial investment of only about $40-$45? Not too shabby.

Oh, and I've found that past a certain point, people find it cool again (like how suddenly it's cool to wear retro Nintendo characters on T-shirts) ^_^

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, well done on going with what you think over what others think!

I tend to find lots of guys play it at my school, and only admit it when there are no girls around :S

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    Who the f*** cares what other people think? If you actually enjoy Pokemon, then play it. Hell I took my DS to school so I could play my Platinum in study hall...and I'm 16, I don't care what people say xD If they have a problem with something that you enjoy, f*** them, they're not worth your time anyways.

Oh and HG & SS are really good, it's nice to see that Gamefreak still cares, they did a good job with the remakes, if you like the originals you will probably enjoy the remakes as well.

Dahlia411

That Crazy Video Gamer Girl
    Years
    If you think that people won't like you becuase you like Pokemon, look at all the people who already appriciate you for who you are, don't just quit a hobby just so people won't think you are nerdy or immature. You should be proud that you're unique and have cool hobbies that will make friends that will last a lifetime

Back