• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i remember it well

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    what's the earliest world/big news event in your life that you can remember? bonus points if it's not 9/11

Guest123_x1

Probably the earliest major news story that I had the mental capacity to recognize at the time and remember was the O.J. Simpson murder case. That story dragged on for what seemed like forever!

pkmin3033

I remember when ownership of Hong Kong was transferred back to China, if that counts.

Bay

Years
    1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. I remember watching some of the events, especially one where one of the ladies still pulled through one of the gymnastic events even when with a broken ankle and the US team winning gold.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Probably the death of Princess Diana.

I was staying over at my gran's house that weekend, and I remember waking up on Sunday morning wanting to watch cartoons but every channel was the news. My gran was crying about it, but I didn't quite grasp what was happening, due to being four years old.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    Probably the arrest of Marc Dutroux. A belgian serial killer, kidnapper and child molester. I remember being at the White March too, a huge protest action in Brussels against the failing police system and juridical system that followed his arrest. That was in 1996.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Probably the death of Princess Diana.

I was staying over at my gran's house that weekend, and I remember waking up on Sunday morning wanting to watch cartoons but every channel was the news. My gran was crying about it, but I didn't quite grasp what was happening, due to being four years old.

this is the earliest big news event i can remember as well
    not to one up you or whatever but when my family & i were living in paris, we lived literally just down an avenue from where the crash happened

and i can remember all the hysteria and what not - i was only about four so my memories are more than hazy, but i definitely remember being woken by the absolute shitload of sirens and seeing the eventual swarm of people that day. also the bundles upon bundles of flowers. definitely the biggest event i had experienced at that point.

Lucid

the monica lewinsky scandal comes to mind, that was the first thing I remember being on the news 24/7

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Earliest thing I can remember is the London Bombings...no, never mind. The Bali Bombings. Showed up everywhere in Australia, because a few Australian citizens were killed or injured in them.

Years
    I dunno if this was really big news elsewhere, and it was probably never mentioned outside the country, but in the early 90s a girl was kidnapped and killed in my town. Polly Klaas. Every kid knew about it, or at least they knew something happened and that all the parents were being mean and not letting us play at the playground anymore. I'm pretty sure it got some national attention though.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I think the death of Michael Jackson is the earliest "important" news I remember. I think I started liking his music due to some new year's party my family had to go to and I saw other kids dancing to it, so I kinda liked it.

When he died and the news came in, my mom mentioned "he wouldn't release any new music" and I started to cry. :(

I stopped caring much about his music towards the end of the year ^-^;;

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I would think the earliest for me would be the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 and then I remember watching Timothy McVeigh be executed in 2001 on TV before going to school that day.

Years
    I think the death of Michael Jackson is the earliest "important" news I remember.

GOD this makes me feel old.

Y2K is probably the earliest thing I remember... honestly I'm really blanking on any big news stuff that happened when I was a kid, guess I didn't pay much attention to the news.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    You know I don't think most kids don't remember much of what happened in the news when they are that young. They're too busy being fun little kids...lol. I was quite surprised I remember something as old as I did.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Hurricane Katrina I think? Can't really say I cared much about what went on in the news for a long time till my late teens.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    Hurricane Katrina for me.
    Grocery stores were barren... power outages... property damage... yep.

Back