• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I think I'm going to like Pokemon more than my kids...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    All this hype for Sun & Moon is making me so excited and I just keep thinking about how much I like Pokemon. I know it's childish but then I got really scared because I was thinking about when I was going to STOP liking Pokemon, and then I thought about how likely it was for me to be playing the games along with my children when I'm older, if they keep making more. Probably even if they don't keep making more.

Anyone else think they're going to be like 80 and still playing Pokemon? Bonus points if you come back in however-many-years to confirm.

Years
    Thinking about it how many kids actually play Pokemon nowadays? I mean obviously it's still popular but from what my girlfriend's brother says (he's 10), nobody his age really plays the main series games. I know that's just one example but I never really see any kids playing it - aside from Go obviously.

Anyway it would be so cool to play Pokemon with my kids and teach them about the series cause I still think I'll be playing for many years.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    I'll always love pokemon, I think. It's a very good franchise with many different playstyles, and they keep coming up with more. I'm awhile away from children yet, but it's not hard to imagine someone who has stuck with the main series games since the beginning.
    ScoCap brings up a very interesting point. Myself, I've heard that Pokemon is very popular in colleges, so there is that :p The 10 year olds are too busy playing Call of Duty to play Pokemon, anyway

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    I agree; much of my (early) childhood was influenced by Pokemon. Every free minute had something to do with it. Even when I wasn't playing pokemon, I was thinking about Pokemon or making up new Pokemon. This type of adoration is fairly rare, I should think, and those affected are not likely to forget. However, it's not only an adult game now; new players will constantly be coming in and will become introduced into the games, and these new players will almost always be children.

Years
    Kids these days can either play this RPG of "Squirtle use Water Gun!" or hop on the PS4 with Virtual Reality and play the living shit out of something less complex like, I dunno, Call of Duty. Pokemon doesn't hold the same appeal for them as with us.

Years
    I have been playing Pokemon since the first gen, and I love it, my daughter is now 11 and she has been a Pokemon fan since she was 3, she use to love to sit and watch me play, she would watch the anime and all the films, and we'd print pictures off the Internet and colour them in and make mobiles from them. She is my walking Pokemon encyclopaedia! However, she gets a bit upset sometimes as she said there aren't really any other girls at school that play Pokemon and she doesn't talk about it as she is afaird of being teased, but she did say there are a few interested in the trading card side of it.... But my point being no I don't think there is a lot of interest with the younger generation, or maybe if there is they are keeping it to themselves. Perhaps Pokemon go will encourage them to buy the new release and have a go at it. Me, well I shall be the little old lady not sat down with a bag of knitting, but with my 3ds and a Pokemon game instead lolllll

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
    I've never given up on Pokemon, even when there were times I didn't play the games or anything. In a way, it's kind of sad that it's become such a part of me because I fear I might one day lose this love for the franchise and end up emptier than I should be, but for now, even without playing nearly enough of the games as I should, I'll still look forward to experiencing the franchise in new and exciting ways in the following years.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I have been playing Pokemon since the first gen, and I love it, my daughter is now 11 and she has been a Pokemon fan since she was 3, she use to love to sit and watch me play, she would watch the anime and all the films, and we'd print pictures off the Internet and colour them in and make mobiles from them. She is my walking Pokemon encyclopaedia! However, she gets a bit upset sometimes as she said there aren't really any other girls at school that play Pokemon and she doesn't talk about it as she is afaird of being teased, but she did say there are a few interested in the trading card side of it.... But my point being no I don't think there is a lot of interest with the younger generation, or maybe if there is they are keeping it to themselves. Perhaps Pokemon go will encourage them to buy the new release and have a go at it. Me, well I shall be the little old lady not sat down with a bag of knitting, but with my 3ds and a Pokemon game instead lolllll

This is so cute, I love it!! I feel for your daughter because this is exactly what happened to me--nobody my age really liked it so I was a lonely Pokemon player. Hopefully Sun & Moon will cause some of her friends to become more interested in games so she has someone to play with other than her mom (which isn't bad!) :)

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'd really like to think that I will still have an interest in Pokemon for years to come. If I've been playing for almost twenty years then I can't see a reason why I'd lose interest tbh. I love the thought of having my own kids and introducing them to it, though!

Guest123_x1

Though I tried to almost completely get out of Pokémon nearly 11 years ago, and even turned in the games that I had at the time (Generations I and II), there were some parts that I still couldn't let go of, including posting on various Pokémon forums, including here. In fact, I had been wanting to get back into Pokémon gaming since at least 2012, and finally got to do so early last year with Alpha Sapphire. I plan on sticking with Pokémon for years to come, even though my mom tells me that I'm too old for it.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I think I always will like Pokemon to some extent! I definitely don't have much interest as I used to but you bet that if I have a child that I will teach them about Pokemon. Teaching your kids about Pokemon seems like such a cute idea and I'd love either my kids or my friend's kids to appreciate Pokemon as much as I did. If someone mentions Pokemon whether that's at my workplace when I'm 38 or in a nursing home at 93, I will probably still be just as enthusiastic about the topic even if I don't remember exactly what a Pikachu is. I'll be the coolest grandma at the nursing home with my fresh memory on all the Pokemon from the first 6 generations.

If I remember, I'll also definitely come back here in 20 years to confirm that I still like the series. I'll make sure to have a yearly reminder on my phone so I don't forget! Hopefully I can stick to that promise but we'll see.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I would like to say that I will be playing pokemon until I am 80, but I am actually a bit more concered about being 80 and still posting on this forum xD. Anyways, I can see myself in say 10 years playing along side my possible children. I can only hope that it's popularity rises though, as by then I feel the children will want to be playing VR games and not handhelds.

You guys were saying above how it doesn't have much of a hold on younger kids, which I can totally see as the case. I work in a kids amusment park, and I'll see maybe 1 or 2 pokemon shirts in a whole day. I know that's not something to base a population statistic off of, but compared to what it used to be it's substantially less. Not once have I seen a 3ds either, though I doubt a parent would allow that to enter the park ;/.

t0gekiss

One day I'd love to play Pokemon with my future kids, but I'm just worried it won't have the same appeal with them as it does with me :(

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    I think I'll still love Pokémon, no matter how many years pass. There can be times where I'm busy with important stuff and I can't give much attention to the games, but I'll never forget Pokémon. I would love to play and teach Pokémon to my future children too. Even though this new generation isn't paying much attention to it (though with Pokémon Go, this might change), I'd still play Pokémon happily with my kids =D

Years
    I will still be a fan of Pokemon for a long time, and heck even if I did start my own family I would likely get all of them to play Pokemon games with me as well because it's always fun when you get the family involved.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I'm totally going to culture my kids about Pokémon, especially throwing the good ol' "Back in my day! Pokémon blahblah.."

But otherwise I'm totally going to culture my kids into Pokémon (when I do have kids lol), if you have enough enthusiasm about the games your kids are bound into liking the games at least a little bit :)

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    I'll be honest, after I got into Pokemon, most other things in life don't matter to me. Like, I'll still go out and work and all that, but socializing doesn't exist anymore. The last time I actually had a legit conversation with someone was... geez... when I was 16, and even then, it was with a friend about Pokemon.

Nowadays, my plans for every day are:

Go to work.
    Come home.
    Play Pokemon.
    Go to sleep.
    Repeat.

Years
    Though I tried to almost completely get out of Pokémon nearly 11 years ago, and even turned in the games that I had at the time (Generations I and II), there were some parts that I still couldn't let go of, including posting on various Pokémon forums, including here. In fact, I had been wanting to get back into Pokémon gaming since at least 2012, and finally got to do so early last year with Alpha Sapphire. I plan on sticking with Pokémon for years to come, even though my mom tells me that I'm too old for it.

I'm 38 this year, your never too old for Pokemon! Tell your mum that from me :-) in a nice way of course :-)

danny_moon

Pikachu
    Years
    Yep......... I've grown up with a ton of Pokemon stories. I want my children to love this game and then they 'll watch pokemon films again, stay young and freeee. That sounds good. ;)

Back