• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm a heteroromantic omnidemisexual.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Explain to me how a lack of conventional definition to these preferences would help things.
    It sounds so elegant but I don't understand the logical appeal.
    Explain why the preferential differences between genders should be present in our world at all. I don't understand the logical appeal of defining your sexual preference, not in this day and age. We're all humans, we're all able to have sex with one another; why bother segregating people into brackets so that society can define what gender we prefer to have sex with?

Years
    I see how definitions can be helpful in expressing to others your preferences but I prefer saying, I am only interested in dating men.

Essentially, I prefer not having to use a noun to describe myself, since it encourages others to make attributions.

For instance, I if I get married, I don't want it to be a "gay" wedding, or worse, and LGBT wedding (Or a homoromatic/homosexual wedding, haha). Or be a gay/LGBT student/professor. I don't want to become an umbrella term, or be distinguished as a gay advocate/proponent if I get married or if I am building a career that attaches a different expectation to my life . This is one of the reasons why I stopped making it a point to come out, and rather just simply dating men, implying my sexuality.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Explain why the preferential differences between genders should be present in our world at all. I don't understand the logical appeal of defining your sexual preference, not in this day and age. We're all humans, we're all able to have sex with one another; why bother segregating people into brackets so that society can define what gender we prefer to have sex with?

Because it's apparent most people don't fall into the all-loving type. Heck, most people are totally hetero, even. Besides, it's not like it's impossible to categorize - sexuality and romanticism preferences are more than classifiable. There's a handful of Greek and Latin prefixes to the word 'sexual' and 'romantic'. It's not some uninnumerable array of bizarre moonspeak that some make it out to be. Sorry you can't just be lazy about someone's preferences and mark gay or straight, we do have them. I don't get why we wouldn't classify such an immediate aspect of our lives - it's what humans do. Apparently we have a fetish for abstraction.

I see how definitions can be helpful in expressing to others your preferences but I prefer saying, I am only interested in dating men.

Essentially, I prefer not having to use a noun to describe myself, since it encourages others to make attributions.

For instance, I if I get married, I don't want it to be a "gay" wedding, or worse, and LGBT wedding (Or a homoromatic/homosexual wedding, haha). Or be a gay/LGBT student/professor. I don't want to become an umbrella term, or be distinguished as a gay advocate/proponent if I get married or if I am building a career that attaches a different expectation to my life . This is one of the reasons why I stopped making it a point to come out, and rather just simply dating men, implying my sexuality.
    This doesn't mean the whole idea of classification should be forgotten though, right? If I'm understanding you.

Years
    This doesn't mean the whole idea of classification should be forgotten though, right? If I'm understanding you.

Essentially, when we strive to differentiate ourselves in a way that is abnormal to the majority of people, that distinction will almost always be used as a means of social identity. Whereas, being straight does not have a substantial impact upon the identity ascribed to them. You never hear people say, you know that straight girl from class? The lesbian in class, now that would be a different story. People begin to use these markers a means of describing and anticipating identities and behavior, whereas diminishing other identities which may be more substantive to our everyday lives. Thus, diminishing our cumulative identity, supplementing/changing that identity with something as arbitrary as who do you prefer to sleep with?

Further, straight people are less sexualized in that sense. When I think gay/homosexual/lgbt grad student vs grad student, I immediately tie sexual behavior to identity and perception, and its distracting. Or, I tie an expectation to studying "gay" subjects, which might be misleading or pigeon-holing.

Sexuality, the structured labeling, and the need for other to form social identities based on these is not important beyond personal/private dating preferences.

I actually don't even say "I like men", but rather say something like, "my boyfriend" "my ex...he". People know my sexuality, but I have presented it in a not important way, and people seem to treat me as more normal because of it. In the past, self-labeling set up those expectations and false attributes.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Essentially, when we strive to differentiate ourselves in a way that is abnormal to the majority of people, that distinction will almost always be used as a means of social identity. Whereas, being straight does not have a substantial impact upon the identity ascribed to them. You never hear people say, you know that straight girl from class? The lesbian in class, now that would be a different story. People begin to use these markers a means of describing and anticipating identities and behavior, whereas diminishing other identities which may be more substantive to our everyday lives. Thus, diminishing our cumulative identity, supplementing/changing that identity with something as arbitrary as who do you prefer to sleep with?

Further, straight people are less sexualized in that sense. When I think gay/homosexual/lgbt grad student vs grad student, I immediately tie sexual behavior to identity and perception, and its distracting. Or, I tie an expectation to studying "gay" subjects, which might be misleading or pigeon-holing.

Sexuality, the structured labeling, and the need for other to form social identities based on these is not important beyond personal/private dating preferences.

I actually don't even say "I like men", but rather say something like, "my boyfriend" "my ex...he". People know my sexuality, but I have presented it in a not important way, and people seem to treat me as more normal because of it. In the past, self-labeling set up those expectations and false attributes.

This reasoning is sound for the most part, but it doesn't give any reason I see to forego the entire concept of sexuality/romanticism labels. People are different on that by its nature, and the idea of ignoring people's split positions on that sounds so alien to me. Gavin, I need some help.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    basically love what stranger's posted

basically may end up with anyone down the line. my specific sex drive/taste in people doesn't need a name. 8D When you're using Final Fantasy spell names in sexualities, you know that things have gone too far.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Because it's apparent most people don't fall into the all-loving type. Heck, most people are totally hetero, even. Besides, it's not like it's impossible to categorize - sexuality and romanticism preferences are more than classifiable. There's a handful of Greek and Latin prefixes to the word 'sexual' and 'romantic'. It's not some uninnumerable array of bizarre moonspeak that some make it out to be. Sorry you can't just be lazy about someone's preferences and mark gay or straight, we do have them. I don't get why we wouldn't classify such an immediate aspect of our lives - it's what humans do. Apparently we have a fetish for abstraction.
    Again, I question your enthusiasm for segregating sexual preferences. Why should we classify sexuality?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    Again, I question your enthusiasm for segregating sexual preferences. Why should we classify sexuality?
    Ninja'd

Humans classify the world around them. People are not anywhere ear universal about the traits, so for better understanding of ourselves and peers we classify each other. I say it is unavoiable and in lieu of that we ought remain positive and compassionate towards each other in its context, which is a tall order for how judgmental and exclusionary humans often are.

It's important we not confuse classification with exclusionism in this instance.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm kind of with everyone who just wants to do away with classification but I am very privileged in that it really doesn't matter what I classify myself as because I'm surrounded by friends and family who will accept me no matter what. I don't need to label myself as anything because I'm not looking for like-minded people, or trying to find my place in the world, or trying to make sense of my feelings. I've figured all that out and it doesn't matter to me.

If I had to define myself, I guess I'd be biromantic bisexual? Although I don't even know anymore if bisexuality implies attraction to the binary sexes or everything or what. (I always thought bi = binary attraction, pan = everything in-between as well, but I've seen people get mad at others for identifying as bi and then not being attracted to trans*.) For the most part I'm only attracted to the binary genders/sexes, but I wouldn't say it's concrete or anything. I've had crushes on people who turned out to be trans before and had we been in a relationship or something, I doubt that would have been enough to change anything. Aaaand this confusion even for me, who feels confident in who/what she is attracted to, is why I'm not really a fan of labels. In order to peg down exactly what I am, it gets too complicated, too quickly imo. :(

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    ogod this did just d&d

Anyway I think I'm getting a better understanding of where people are coming from with this. I just woke up a few hours ago, cut me some slack :P

Sexuality is in a lot of places it ought not be in socially. Then again sex is a major focus of life for us as animals, so maybe it's natural that it bleeds over...?

Years
    I'm just going to respond to the main thing and eagerly await the "sexual/romantic labels" thread that is bound to appear in D&D now.

I'm straight - boring I know but true. I've only ever been attracted to women and don't ever see that changing. I can appreciate when a man is attractive, but I myself will not become attracted to them.

There's nothing specific that attracts me to women over men other than the chemistry of my brain. There are however, certain traits I generally find more attractive in women - although there's certainly no rule present.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    In the thoughts of desires relating to trying to find a relationship where I would actually try to spend my life with someone I will always only look at women who were born women. However, when it comes to sex gender doesn't make as much of a difference and I could just about go with any sex or combination of sexes/lack there of, if it's got a hole I'm in it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Predominantly attracted to men. I'm open to dating other genders, I just don't see myself having a sexual relationship with anyone really.

Reactions: Her

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I am demisexual. I am only sexually attracted to someone that I have an emotional connection with. I opt to not tell people this majority of the time though because I am tired of hearing about how my sexuality isn't real, how we shouldn't have labels, how I'm just looking to be different, etc. As far as I'm concerned, it was really nice to find a term that perfectly suited me. I felt really good about having something to truly and comfortably categorize myself as because heterosexual never exactly felt right. And if you happen to be someone that shames others for their elongated terms, shame on you. Who are you to make someone feel like shit for it?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    im just going to say that for some people labels are v helpful in understanding themselves and others better. i personally dont really care but i have talked to friends who prefer to have an accurate and comprehensible label so they can more easily explain their preferences and feelings

the label that seems to fit me is panromantic asexual ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yukari

I think I've explained this in the last two threads on this topic, though.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't have a problem with labels but these super specific ones like defining our romantic interests drive me up the fucking wall.

I'm straight. That being said, I am open minded enough to consider a sexual encounter with another guy.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I don't have a problem with labels but these super specific ones like defining our romantic interests drive me up the fucking wall.

I'm straight. That being said, I am open minded enough to consider a sexual encounter with another guy.

It's applicable, though, at least with me. I dunno about others. I cannot for the life of me imagine dating a guy, ever! But they're so much fun in bed that I lose myself just as much as I do with women.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    Sometimes I stop and think "Did our forefathers really die in the wars to protect our right to identify as a demiromantic asexual? Maybe they shouldn't have. Maybe it'd be better if Germany won. You know, within reason. Like they had to stop killing people, obviously."

Spoiler:

I'm bisexual, but it takes a hell of a lot to get me interested in another guy.

Back