• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen In-Game Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • follow up question, is the dexnav the most efficient way to hunt down shines in gen 6, or should I be doing hordes or friend safaris? I'm excluding chain fishing from this list simply because I don't want to limit myself to fish-able pokemon

I personally think horde battles with the shiny charm is an easier method but hordes are limited to a select few Pokemon so it might not be optimal for everyone. I've encountered many more horde shinies, many of them when I wasn't even looking for shiny Pokemon to begin with, than DexNav'd shinies (granted I haven't actually used it much, either). It's good if you're looking for a Pokemon that isn't encountered through hordes and have patience/time on your hands (or if you want better IVs/possible HAs or egg moves), though, so it ultimately depends.

Hordes don't really have as good a chance to have nice IVs and can't have HAs or egg moves. So if you're into that sort of thing I'd recommend the DexNav.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    How do you delete a friend from your PSS? I deleted some people on my 3DS's Friend List but they still show up on my PSS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    I don't get it... why do evolve to lvl 100 battles are only for lvl 50? are there lvl 100 battles?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I don't get it... why do evolve to lvl 100 battles are only for lvl 50? are there lvl 100 battles?

I assume you mean "level up" instead of "evolve", but a big reason I would assume is there's tons of pokemon that learn their best moves after level 50, and if you level up your pokemon to their highest levels you can still take part in level 50 battles (since they level down your pokemon to level 50 anyway) but you still get your best moves. Also, as far as I'm aware there is only a lv 50 rule, but there is also a "no restriction" rule where pokemon can be at any level (which includes up to level 100) and if you're going to have an all out battle, you might as well have pokemon at their maximum stats (level 100 making the pokemon as strong as possible)

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    Help with EV's

So I'm about to lvl up some of my breeded pokemons, do I get EV while im lvling up? I really dont know how this works, those it effect others if Im using exp share?

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Yes, while you level up your pokemon, you get EVs for each pokemon you kill depending on what EV that pokemon gives. And yes, the EXP share does cause each pokemon in the party to get EVs. What you will want to do is find out which pokemon gives the EVs you want and kill that one until you have the proper amount of EVs you want. For example, i'm breeding my entire OU and UU collection of pokemon to make sure that i have legit pokes. Because of this before i ever go to level up these pokemon, i will be taking 4 or 5 of these pokemon that want max speed EVs and put them in my party. I'll then turn the EXP share on, get a poke with Sweet Scent to get horde battles and kill only pokemon that gives speed EVs until all of my new pokemon in my party are fully trained in speed EVs.

Here is a link to how EVs work.

https://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

That link should explain just about everything you need to know about how it works.

This link is a list of pokemon that give specific EVs and where you can find them in hordes.

https://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-horde-hotspots-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/

Also, be sure that your pokemon's IV are also good. IVs are probably more important than EVs as they are the DNA of the pokemon. They basically tell you what the pokemon is good at. Here is a link to what IVs are and how they work.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

If you get confused by the term 5 IV or 6 IV pokemon, this just means that 5 or 6 of the pokemon's stats ((HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, Speed)) had 31 IVs in the. ((31 is the highest a IV can be))

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    You have two choices really.

1- Level them up then find a reset bag in super training and then super train them all up after wards.

2- Dont level them, start super training now to max their EV's then level them up when done.

When levelling you wont get optimal EV's unless you pick your battles really carefully which is a real PITA and not necessary now with super training. Option 1 above has the drawback that you'd need to wait for a reset bag to appear or grow enough of the EV reducing berries to reset your EV's which can take a while sometime especially if doing multiple pokemon.

Id go with option 2 personally.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Ehh, you don't need to choose your battles that carefully to be honest. I put a link up of where to find hordes of pokemon that give specific EVs. At that point all you need is a pokemon with Sweet Scent to trigger the horde, then a few pokemon with attacks that hit multiple targets (Earth Quake, Lava Plume, Surf). Now, if you have a pokemon with Pokerus you can stick that in your party to spread it to the pokemon you are going to EV train, which doubles the amount of EVs you get per pokemon. If its only one pokemon, you can toss a Macho Brace onto that pokemon which doubles it again, meaning you get 4 EVs per pokemon. In a horde battle this means you get 20 EVs that the Horde gives, which in ORAS there you can find routes that are only the specific EVs you want. So at 20 EVs per battle if you wanted to get 252 EVs in say speed, it would take 12.6 battles.

Now, if you use a power item + Pokerus you get 10 EVs per pokemon, which means you get 50 EVs per battle. This means you can get 250 EVs in 5 battles. Its a lot faster if you prep the items needed to EV train ahead of time, especially if you are doing multiple ones at a time.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    but in the super training don't I have to grow all stats? like I do the speed training and to get another speed training dont I need to make all the rest? like, atk training, def, etc

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    To unlock all the ranks youll need to complete them all I think (been a while since I started unlocking) but to be honest do this on an already finished pokemon to unlock everything and voila you can then do whichever you want on your mon you want to train

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    To unlock all the ranks youll need to complete them all I think (been a while since I started unlocking) but to be honest do this on an already finished pokemon to unlock everything and voila you can then do whichever you want on your mon you want to train
    wow thanks buddy

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What are the best Pokémon for each Contest category? I've already finished Coolness with CosPikachu, but I need to do the Master Ranks on the others. If CosPikachu is the best for all of them, what moveset should she have for each category?

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    What are the best Pokémon for each Contest category? I've already finished Coolness with CosPikachu, but I need to do the Master Ranks on the others. If CosPikachu is the best for all of them, what moveset should she have for each category?

First and foremost there is no best pokemon for each category.

Pick the Pokemon you want to finish them with feed them rainbow pokeblocks until all their contest stats are maxed and get the scarfs from the pokemon club guy in slateport then just pick the moves for that contest type.

You barely have to do anything to win each time right the way up to master just pick a different move each turn and wait to win.

Id suggest not using cosplay pikachu as youll never be able to transfer him out of your copy or OR/AS.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    First and foremost there is no best pokemon for each category.

Pick the Pokemon you want to finish them with feed them rainbow pokeblocks until all their contest stats are maxed and get the scarfs from the pokemon club guy in slateport then just pick the moves for that contest type.

You barely have to do anything to win each time right the way up to master just pick a different move each turn and wait to win.

Id suggest not using cosplay pikachu as youll never be able to transfer him out of your copy or OR/AS.
    But how can there not be a Pokémon that's best for each category? They all have different movesets. Someone like Wobbufet may be better for a category because of its movepool but outclassed for another.

How does not being able to trade Cosplay Pikachu affect whether I should use her or not?

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    But how can there not be a Pokémon that's best for each category? They all have different movesets. Someone like Wobbufet may be better for a category because of its movepool but outclassed for another.

How does not being able to trade Cosplay Pikachu affect whether I should use her or not?

Quite simply because most pokemon have varied enough movepools to switch in and out of the correct contest types and as I said the move you use seems to barely matter once your contest stats are maxed out. Check bulbapedia, I did for my charizard and got through all contest types just switching out the moves once for each type.

Well its a lot of time to finish the contests and you get a nice effect on the pokemon you finish all master ranks with so in my opinion it'd be nice to be able to take that pokemon with you when OR/AS is replaced with a new game. If you want to do it on cosplay pikachu then by all means do it was just a warning in case you didnt know it couldnt be traded or taken through the bank.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

There's actually an online guide on how to use Cosplay Pikachu to beat ALL the contests. And really, having beaten all 5 contests I know that it not only can be done but simply showing up with all your contest stats maxed (so each contest you are coming in maxed in the correct stat) and holding the appropriate scarf you are guaranteed to get a 50% score by simply showing up. Then just make sure you have either good moves or good combo moves and you're sure to easily beat the pants off all your competition.

As for not using Cosplay Pikachu, there's no real reason not to other than if you beat all 5 master rank contests with 1 pokemon you get an additional contest ribbon that maxes out your affection and when you arrive in battle, you get the shiny chime sound with a transparent ribbon appearing over your pokemon instead of the shiny stars. You don't get anything other than the normal effects of maxed affection (that you can achieve in Pokemon Amie) other than the entrance animation, so you don't NEED to use a pokemon other than Cosplay Pikachu, but it is a nifty effect without having to go through the effort of maxing affection in Pokemon Amie and best of all since it's a contest ribbon that's giving that effect, trading it to other games* does not negate the effect (whereas Pokemon Amie only works if it's with the trainer that gave it max affection. Giving it to another trainer resets that)

*X and Y may not count because there may not be data for the contest ribbon, but it should work if you are in Or and trade to As and vice versa, as well as likelyfuture games as well

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Is it really that easy if you max out stats and give them scarves?

If I wanted to have that Ribbon thing on another Pokémon I could just beat all of the Master Ranks with it later, right? It's not just limited to one Pokémon?

If I can get it on as many Pokémon as I like, I think I'll just do it with Cosplay Pikachu for now. Thanks for the help, Oblox and Howmander.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    The ribbon is a hold item so it can be given to whomever you want whenever you want. Just make sure you use the correct ribbon for the correct contest.

And yes, it really is that easy, just keep in mind at higher levels (particularly the master rank contest) your opponents get better and if they don't use attacks that give themselves higher scores, they'll be using attacks that lower your scores, so do some research and read about combos and how to defend yourself because even if you're guaranteed a 50% bar just for showing up, one of the other 3 pokemon can still lower your remaining 50% low enough for someone else to just barely win over you. here is the link I used:

https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/73...chu-master-rank-contest-spectacular-movesets/

(Keep in mind at least two of those contest move sets have the wrong type: one if used in the mentioned moveset will actually lower your score because it's an incompatible move type, the other if used in the mentioned moveset won't have any detrimental effect because it's a neutral move type in the particular contest it's used in. Sorry I don't remember which ones though)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I actually managed to finish all of the contest Master Ranks, but I'm yet to do the face-off with Lisia, since my 3DS is charging. It was really easy, I only lost two of the categories' Master Rank ones once each because they were deliberately targeting me.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I actually managed to finish all of the contest Master Ranks, but I'm yet to do the face-off with Lisia, since my 3DS is charging. It was really easy, I only lost two of the categories' Master Rank ones once each because they were deliberately targeting me.

Nice, Lisia was easy too. I didnt know about the maxing affection bonus of the all masters, thats a nice addon for my Charizard too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back