• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is B/W Anyone Else's Fav Games?

Are B/W Your Fav Games?

• Total voters
Years
  • I really hope that this topic hasn't been made already... but anyways, is it? For me, personally, White is my favorite Pokémon game as it is what introduced me to the franchise, and I will always hold it close to my heart... combined with the unique Pokémon, cool region, and sweet storyline, this is one of those games that I could play forever and never get tired of! :) I know this gen gets a lot of hate, but does anyone else agree with me? ^_^

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • White is also one of my favorites in the whole series. Sometimes I read a comment complaining about the new Pokémon being shoved down everyone's throats and wonder how anyone could possibly say that, it's not like the old Pokémon were removed from the game completely XD I suppose refreshing experiences are unpopular in this series.

Years
  • Well they're not my favorites in the series, but after playing them again in a difficult challenge, they're definitely in my top 5.

I used to not be THE biggest fan of them - for a while they were my least favorite DS era titles, but a couple playthroughs have made me see what people like about them so much. At first I didn't like only using new Pokémon and didn't get why people made it out to be the best thing ever. But it eventually grew on me for the fact that they try to make you like the new Pokémon, and, well, to me it succeeded. I'd still rather take BW2's extended Unova Dex any day, though. Also, the story, which gives people a different ending outcome instead of becoming the Champion, where you have to save Pokémon from Ghetsis and beat him. The final events of the game with N's Castle were done quite well. Battling N and Ghetsis were by far my favorite parts of BW.

Speaking of BW2, those however are my favorites in the series, even after XY released today. Even though this thread isn't about them (so i'll keep this short), I loved the variety as well as all the conveniences and extra additions to the Unova region which really made me enjoy it. Nowadays I just feel the people most upset by BW2 are the big fans of BW who loved the major things about that (the story and only using new Pokémon).

I do really like this generation, I would go so far as to say that even today it's still my favorite of all of them because of not only its dynamic adventure, but how easy training is thanks to Audino, as well as all the really cool Pokémon it introduced. While not my favorite in terms of innovation, i'd say it's my favorite in terms of gameplay/adventure and new Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    All in all... maybe. I'm just not sure.

The one thing that BW lack is enough extra content to really keep me interested, and that's the one really notable improvement in BW2, so the two are sort of tied for me.

All in all though, I really like BW. First and foremost, I LOVE the all new dex. I've never understood why anyone wants to go to an entirely new region in an entirely new game, and catch the same old pokemon they've seen so many times before. That just doesn't even begin to make sense to me. The thing I enjoy most about a new game is seeing, catching and using all the new pokemon. Every time I see something I haven't seen before, all I want to do is catch it and put it on my team and take it out for a bit and see what it's all about. So with the all-new dex in BW, I was like a kid in a candy store. My first playthrough of White took over 300 hours, just because there were so many new pokemon available.

If only they had just a bit more extra content - a few more of the things that were added to BW2 - they'd definitely be my favorites out of the entire series. As it is, they're pretty much tied with BW2 (which gets points for adding all that new content, but then loses points for going back to including a bunch of pokemon I've already seen too many times in too many other gens).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Black and White aren't my most favorite games, but I definitely have enjoyed playing them, and loved all changes and features that they brought. n_n;; One of them would be reusable TMs; it's great that they're permanent now, because, well, these things are discs, and in reality, stuff like this could be used as many times as you wish so long as they're not damaged. Aside from that, another would Dream World abilities; they had made huge impact on popularity of certain Pokémon, such as Politoed and Ninetales.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I hated B/W. They got about everything wrong with pokémon game. I hated the pokémon you were forced into using, I hated the linear region, I hated the pretentious storyline, I hated the awful art style, I hated the easy as hell gym leaders and I hated the lame, forgettable characters. The only good thing they did was introduce reusable TM's.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I can't say they're the number one on the top of my list, but they're definitely the number two. They brought in a whole MESS of things that changed so DAMN much about how Pokemon is played now. B/W brought their own, full Pokedex, void of any Pokemon from previous generations, added the Hidden Ability to almost every Pokemon, updated the Power and Accuracy of many moves that were once too pitiful because of the lack of either/or, further changing the gameplay, and even went so far as to update many what were once useless abilities and actually made them viable choices, Sturdy more than likely being the most successful. They even brought in some of the most influential Pokemon in the metagames, with everyone knowing Ferrothorn being the most viable option for a defensive POkemon on any team, Conkeldurr being a great option for a super bulky attacker that can take more than one hit while dishing out hits like a truck, giving Politoed and Ninetales an actual chance in the OU tier thanks to their permanent weather abilities, making Venusaur an actual consideration in OU, and the list just goes on and on.

They may not be my favorite, but they were the ones that definitely had the most impact on the Metagame up to that point.

Not only the metagame, but the storyline was most certainly the greatest developed. As much as I don't like him, N really was one of the greatest Antagonists we've ever had. The ability to befriend any Pokemon including something that is thought to be unobtainable by humans, and he put it in a Pokeball.

Bianca started off as a small, weak little girl, and through every step she made she finally became the strong and confident (whether she realized it or not) person she dreamed she could be. She didn't participate in the big battle at the Pokemon league, but she sure was the first to rally up the Gym Leaders for their help with taking down the Sages.

These games have so many things that they offer to the franchise, but so many people brush them off too swiftly because of reasons like, "Omg it not genwun that best", or "i hate that there no previous mons" etc etc. Give it a shot, really. They're games that actually feel like their own game, rather than having tied so many elements from previous games into them, and I think it was a VERY good thing for the franchise as a whole.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • BW has the best Script out of any Pokemon game. I tells a better story about ideas that are extremely relevant to their world, and ours.

I love nearly all the Unova Mons. I love that you only see new monsters on your adventure.

BW2 had the best post game in PWT and PokeStar Studios. Gym Leader Remaches in the best way possible!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • They're not my favourites, but they're up there on the games I like. My personal favourite's Platinum, but B/W's still really good to me. I particularly like the Unova region's games, as they had a story with a lot of depth, and beautiful places to explore. I also like the little extras the games had, including something I wanted in Pokemon for some time now: Seasons. The post game of B/W2 was amazing, with you pitting yourself against Gym Leaders and Champions of old in tournament battles in the PWT. It's...an amazing new feature, really. I always wanted to see Red again x)

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I really enjoyed Pokemon Black and White, but they're not my favourite games. I loved plenty of Pokemon, like Chandelure, Ferrothorn, Volcarona, Galvantula, etc. What I didn't like, is that the Unova dex started with only Unova Pokemon. I'm glad they fixed this in B2/W2, but I was still a bit disappointed that two of my favourite lines, namely the Gastly and Pikachu lines, still weren't included.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    One of my favorites. But my absolute favorite?

Actually, yes. Whilst I'd prefer mashing these two with X/Y and HG/SS (as all three of these sets have exactly what I want when combined), B/W has what I find to be most entertaining in a game. What brings me back to play without getting bored.

...A good story.

I actually felt like I was IN the story when I first played it. There was emotion, there was excitement and exhilaration. I felt as though I was the one who was defeating Team Plasma, fighting N with my legendary Reshiram, and impressing him with the bonds of my Pokemon and I. It might be because I've never played a game that has a silent protagonist with such a great story.

My disappointment of X/Y was that its story was nothing compared to these two games. And with BW2 is that it has old Pokemon in it. It was all so fresh and exciting to have a bunch of new Pokemon shoved at you and be forced to use them. Because why would I want to keep using the same old favorites again and again? I want to experiment, I want to see what's new. This is a region completely distinct from all the others and that's why it has different Pokemon. It's far away, it's got a different vibe, and it's even based on the country where I live.

The variety in new Pokemon combined with the story is what makes these my absolute favorites. All the moments and emotions I felt leading up to the end had me the most excited I've been playing a Pokemon game. Even the difficulty was pretty good.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I LOVE the 5th generation! Love a lot of pokemon in it (but I agree I don't like some of them), I do like the story, all the new things they introduce, and in B2W2 you can catch Eevee, Magby, Elekid, etc.!
    I'm starting a new game of Black2 today!

Years
  • I definitely enjoyed Black and White, and they are among my top fave Pokemon games ever in terms of story and plot. The whole plot-twisting events of you catching Reshiram/Zekrom and then fighting N and Ghetsis instead of the usual champion was surely intense for those who weren't expecting it.

Also, having just Unova Pokemon encountered until postgame was a nice little twist from Game Freak. I did feel sorry these games got hated by many because I really adore 5th Gen as a whole. However, while the first pair topped in terms of story, Black 2 and White 2 have the better postgame content which I claim is probably the best in the entire franchise so far.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've never been sure what my favorite Pokemon game is, tbh. However, Black and White holds a special place in my heart. It was the first Pokemon game to ever make an attempt at having a good story (though it ultimately failed), and it was the first main series game in years to try something different (which got it a lot of hate from the people who think that in order for a game to good it must be a carbon copy of previous games). It has my favorite player character out of all the non-X/Y games, Hilda (I might like her so much because of the story and stuff), and it introduced my favorite Pokemon of all time, Zekrom. It was when I first got into competitive battling, and goddamn have my battle and breeding skills improved since then.

The major faults I have with the games are the lack of post-game content (but for some strange reason I have over 600 hours on my White, which is far more than any other Pokemon game I've played), and the fact that the story isn't completely fleshed out; they had some great potential, but didn't use all of it.

Black2/White2 has the better post-game of the two, and arguably the best post-game in the whole series. And I have to give Ghetsis props for actually trying to kill you in Black2/White2.

Years
  • Generation V was a solid addition to the series. It's definitely no Hoenn, but it wasn't bad either. Unlike Sinnoh, I didn't hate all three starters with a passion, and the main character designs were pretty nice. I liked the way the were going with the graphics; especially making the Pokemon constantly move in battle. It added a more realistic feel to one of the most important sequences of the game, something that it lacked before B/W came along.

Certain mechanics that were altered in this generation made playing Pokemon a lot more fun as well. Being able to use TMs more than once was a huge change that I was ecstatic for, and the little message that shows up once a Repel wears off released in B2/W2 was helpful. Small things like that really enhanced the gameplay of Unova's installments.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    Same for me. Black and White introduced me into Pokemon gaming. For right now, Pokemon Black is my favorite Pokemon game I played. I just felt like the content of the game was more then I would have ever expected from Pokemon. I found myself spending hours trading for Pokemon, or hunting down shinnies and rares.

Years
  • I can say for certain that black/white are my favorite games of the series. For me the most important part of a video game is the story, and black and white have the best story of all of them.

I was hoping X and Y would have a nice storyline as well, but it wasn't really all that great. Some aspects of it were pretty epic, but the story was not the main focus of the game. It does have superior gameplay to Black and White, but the lack of a good story makes it fall behind.

Years
  • BW is tied with BW2 and XY for favorite main Pokemon games. There were many aspects about BW that were fantastic: The plot, the region, the graphics, the music, the characters, the Pokemon, etc. I also really liked how people were pretty much forced to try out new Pokemon rather than use ones from past generations and wished it continued onto XY.

Back