• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it possible to be normal?

Marshmellowguy

Sealand / Peter Kirkland
Years
  • Wow all these responses ... It seems there are many different views on what normal is to begin with then they branch off in a direction on opinion. I don't know about you guys but I think this is a topic that could go on forever or end at anytime without notice, But I like how everyone has responded so far, it shows different views on something that isn't so simple for everyone.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    No, it's impossible to be normal because everyone is different in their own way, and even if they're similar, there is something that differentiates them, which is good in a way, because it would be boring if we were all the same, and it is pointless to try to be normal because it's the best just being who you are.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • There's no such thing as "Normal". It's about as real as a Unicorn. Everyone on this planet is different, no two people are the same.

Years
  • Only in hypothetical situations can you define a person as "normal," and even then the deinition of normal is varied depending on how you interpret it. But no, it's not possible to be "normal" in everybody's eyes, in the same way that it's not possible to be foreign or alien in everybody's eyes.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It could be possible. But how can "normal," be defined. I think being normal is somone who gets a 100 on every test--who never gets fired from their job and wears a suit and tye or dress every day.

But, no one knows for sure what normal really is. So, yes and no.

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • People can try to act 'normal', based on it's stereotype, but in reality there is no such thing as normal. >_> Everyone has issues, or drama, or personality quirks that make them unique, I just don't believe there can be an actual definition of 'normal' that most people would fit in to. People are themselves, and I don't think it should be labeled as normal, weird, etc.

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
    Years
  • I accentually don't see how there can ever be a normal, as everyone is different, even if they pretend that they aren't, there is always one quirk that some people think is weird, and some think is normal.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • No. By your own or other standards, it is possible to become "normal". However, I believe it is not possible to be "normal" and conform to everyone's standards at once. You can be "normal" and conform to a large amount of people's standards, but also be "weird" to a lot of other people.

There is no perfectly defined way of being normal. You have an idea of what is normal, everyone else does, and more often than not, people have different ideas of normalcy.

By being "normal" in other's standards, you are potentially making yourself "weird" by your standards.

In short, it is not possible to be "normal" as there is no universal definition of normal, everyone has their own opinions. It is possible to be normal in your standards or someone else's, but it is not possible to be considered universally normal.

Me? I'm far from normal. My idea of normal is not really what I am. I'm shy, timid, not a talkative or social person at all, speak softly and often unclearly, and am an indoors person. My idea of normal is being able to speak and socialize well, and being well-rounded in all abilities, not only mentally, but physically and socially as well. That is far from what I am now.

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    "Being normal" isn't possible since everyone views normal diffrently, so you could be normal in one place but a total freak in another.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
  • I suppose being 'normal' would be acting like the most common personality and doing the most common activities and liking the most common things in all the societies close to you; basically being something ordinary. So I suppose to be normal at all times, you'd need the ability to camouflage your personality to any atmosphere you enter. It's a mistake to think that normalcy is just one personality that you may be. After all, as most have mentioned, normality is not something that has the same setting for everyone/everything/everywhere.

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • From the way I understand it, "normal" is the ideal in a person's mind. Let's say you scream when a TV turns on. Most people would say you're not "normal" because their view of the ideal person is probably that they just stay silent when the TV turns on.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • There's no such thing as "Normal". It's about as real as a Unicorn. Everyone on this planet is different, no two people are the same.
    You don't believe in unicorns. :(

But anyway I believe you can't be normal. People tell me I'm weird sometimes, why is that such a bad thing? If I was just like anyone else why would anyone want to be friends with me or even acknowledge me? If everyone was just like everyone else would life be fun? But the people who weren't the same would be the people who had all the friends and everyone would be like him/her. Then somebody else would be weird.

So no.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • 'Normal' is...in a sense impossible to be completely.

It's less of a black-and-white, "You are normal" or "You are not normal" and more of a "shades of grey" thing where you're "x% normal" or "X/Y normal"

This is even before you consider that "Normal" is a VERY RELATIVE thing. It depends on who you ask.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Hey, we're all exactly the same, and we're all completely unique. This makes everyone normal as fu*k! Woohoo!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Normal is subjective. Therefore, it is not possible for someone to be normal to anyone other than themselves and their definition of normal.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Being normal is possible in a broad sense, everyone has a different personality and different mannerisms that might seem a little odd to any given person, but I don't really believe that makes a person stop being normal, it makes them an individual.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Well, yeah. I mean, there's nothing physically preventing someone from being more usual than unusual. Humanity isn't just a bunch of chaos where there are no consistent viewpoints across majorities or things most people have in common.

In the sense of 100% normal? Technically, it's possible. There's nothing physically preventing someone from being completely usual. What that person would be like? I have no idea beyond the fact that every detail of them would agree with what the majority is. The problem being A that what is 100% normal changes ridiculously often and that B the odds of it happening are also ridiculously low.

In fact, while I'm thinking about this, I'd go as far as to say that we have a tendency to use the word normal wrong. See, applying the word normal to a person is like, a giant generalization. The word normal should ideally only be used to describe specific things, not general people. In essence, the person who thinks they're cool for doing something abnormal is just as normal a PERSON as the person who does the normal thing. What I'm saying is, people who do abnormal things are not abnormal people. We as human beings just share way too much in common when you look at it from a literal point of view to be considered abnormal no matter what we do.

And we also probably use the word abnormal or weird wrong. Like when someone calls someone else weird, what they probably meant to convey was "What you're doing is weird" or "What you did is weird". You see, calling someone weird or abnormal is simply a ridiculous concept when you think about it.

Oh, and doing something abnormal is not necessarily wrong. Though in some cases normality exists for a darn good reason. For instance, jumping into a volcano is totally something you should identify as bad based on what others think or say about it, not through personal experience. So it's really something the individual needs to be careful in deciding whether something is normal for a good reason. Lots of things /are/ normal for reasons, but sometimes they aren't. There's usually a reason for why there is no reason for normality, such as the reason disappearing, but people just continuing due to force of habbit, but hey.

Back