• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it too soon?

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
Years
  • It's been 3 years and, well, that's how it's been for quite a while with Pokemon games: new mainline game every three years. I'm confused why people are so baffled that they're sticking to the schedule. Now am I worried that due to Covid they might be rushing things to get back on schedule? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that it's been 3 years since SwSh and a spin-off game and an outsourced remake doesn't change that fact. Heck if it wasn't for Covid delays we probably would have gotten BDSP back in 2020 and PL:A back in fall 2021, making this announcement feel more natural.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Not sure why people keep saying it's been a 3 year gap and that there's been 3 year gaps in Pokemon before, that's not really the case?

And either way, it's definitely too soon, it's always too soon when the product you often put out is a barebones, unpolished rehash of all of the games before it, and there's really no reason to believe that SV will be any different in that regard.

Years
    • They/them
    • Seen Sep 9, 2022
    I think it's too soon to say either way. Whilst the trailer they showed didn't do much to inspire confidence neither did their first look at Legends Arceus, and even if the final product wasn't quite as polished as it could have been there was a definite improvement between the initial reveal and the final game. Visually at least, they can still accomplish a lot in what will probably be at least six months before release. Gameplay-wise...well, Pokemon doesn't change. Despite vocal objections to the contrary on Twitter and misleading marketing in Japan, Legends Arceus was very clearly designed to be a spinoff and not representative of a change to the core formula of the series. Other than general visual quality improvements, I'm not sure what a delay would really do for the quality of the games we're going to get.

They don't really have to do much between releases to keep fans happy and generate sales, and the latter point is the whole reason games companies exist: to generate sales. From a marketing perspective it's definitely not too soon for a new generation, because they need to keep that merchandise train chugging along, which means they need new Pokemon to market. I think that perhaps if Game Freak were not so heavily tied to The Pokemon Company and were instead under the direct instruction of Nintendo, then yes, Scarlet and Violet would be 2023 or even 2024 releases: Nintendo are a company with extremely high quality control, and there is no way in any reality that the low quality Pokemon titles on the Switch that have already been released would have been released in the state they were in if it were solely up to them. But unfortunately, from a business standpoint Pokemon is more about merchandise than video games, and when it comes to deciding when the right time to introduce a new generation is, the business standpoint is the only one that matters.

Personally...well, it'll depend on what else is coming out around that time! I breathed a sigh of relief when Forspoken got its recent delay from May to October, because it meant I could spread the cost, and maybe tackle a few of the other games I have on my backlog. My time is a very limited resource and making choices is difficult: right now for example I am completely neglecting Horizon Forbidden West in favour of Elden Ring, and I have no idea if or when I will get to it, because Stranger in Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins is out next week, and then Ghostwire Tokyo is out the following week. If Scarlet and Violet come out at the same time as a lot of other games I want then my wallet will cry and my spare time will be completely eaten up by them, and some other great releases will fall through the cracks again, which is...not good. In terms of whether I think they could use more time to make a better experience, then recent experiences with Sword and Legends Arceus would suggest yes, but realistically I don't think the extra time would necessarily make a huge difference, because they don't need to make the effort to get the profit.

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
    Years
  • Not sure why people keep saying it's been a 3 year gap and that there's been 3 year gaps in Pokemon before, that's not really the case?

And either way, it's definitely too soon, it's always too soon when the product you often put out is a barebones, unpolished rehash of all of the games before it, and there's really no reason to believe that SV will be any different in that regard.

Gen 5 was released in 2010, Gen 6 in 2013, Gen 7 in 2016, Gen 8 in 2019, and Gen 9 is coming out in 2022. I don't know why you are claiming that a three year gap isn't a thing now.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Gen 5 was released in 2010, Gen 6 in 2013, Gen 7 in 2016, Gen 8 in 2019, and Gen 9 is coming out in 2022. I don't know why you are claiming that a three year gap isn't a thing now.
    I thought everyone was talking about time between individual releases, not generations

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
    Years
  • I thought everyone was talking about time between individual releases, not generations

AH so that was the source of the disconnect. You were talking about Pokemon's near annual release of A game while we were discussing the release of a new Generation. Yeah in that light it might look off.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I disagree on it being too soon. There's multiple teams at Game Freak that work on different projects at one time. One team could have been working on Sw/Sh, one could have been working on Legends Arceus, while another could be working on Scarlet and Violet.

Most new generations with the exception of from Emerald to Diamond/Pearl then to Black/White usually fell within a three year time period. Also, I honestly don't count the Sword/Shield dlc as a Pokemon game releasing in 2020, so. Tbh, we haven't technically had yearly releases.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Taking three years for each new gen game to get released isn't a guarantee of quality. It's quite the opposite because, as we should know by now, some games clearly need more time than others. Games that do a bigger jump in the visual/technical department, that have to introduce more new mechanics, and make bigger changes to the formula should naturally take more time, so punctuality ≠ quality.

If these games turn out to be rushed, and feel lacking and unpolished, then yes, it will be too soon. Sword and Shield definitely needed more time.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • To be honest, I think it's too soon. Like given how close they released BDSP and Legends, I feel like they're rushing to get the games out like they did with SwSh. They should have waited at least a year or two to release another gen.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    One of the main issues is that it seems like a lot of people are gimme now I want it yesterday and it had better be the best with everything I want. I played BDSP but it just wasn't interesting anymore and I didn't even bother to battle the Elite 4. And now that Legends came out I've kinda fallen off the wagon again. But releasing this new Gen may be a bit early feeling. While yes they may have different teams working on different games it just feels rushed. We will have gotten 3 games within a year. At least let us enjoy the two we have without throwing something new at us right away.

Back