• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Lillie a disappointment?

Years
Why does everyone hate her so much?

As Frozo said, her development is being hurt by the slow pacing of the SM anime. There's also the fact that there's a main group of six characters, meaning the writers are suffering issues on how to develop them all.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
As Frozo said, her development is being hurt by the slow pacing of the SM anime. There's also the fact that there's a main group of six characters, meaning the writers are suffering issues on how to develop them all.

Thing is, if we're going to knock the slow pacing of SM, we have to knock XY/XYZ for it and they had fewer characters! At least SM has the "too many characters" excuse to fall back on. While Lillie can be considered one so far, I think they're waiting to unleash her development. The real crime to me is what they've done to Mallow but that is another topic for another time.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
PokemonRangerBoy12 is as trustworthy as Verlisify (in other words, I don't trust him due to his other videos). Lillie's character will soon be fleshed out more by the time the Aether Foundation shows up and the next time Ash encounters Gladion again.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Uh, no? She's not a disappointment? Just because she's scared to touch Pokemon, doesn't make her disappointing? She can touch Snowy now, jesus christ, give her a break. Why does everyone hate her so much?
She is a disappointment because she has no purpose in both games and anime. She does nothing most of the time. Also she is no better than Iris and Serena. That is why some don't like her.

Years
It's true that Lillie's character development is at a very slow pace as compared to other characters. But I think it's due to too many characters and the writers are trying to develop one character at a time.
I think she will start showing noteworthy improvements once the Aether Foundation is introduced in the anime.

Years
Lillie's character development sure is very slow, but like probably everyone here, the " too many cast" they need to focus on, make sure one or two of them need to get bench until a more important part.

So If it happen, Lillie gonna get a good or bad character development it all depend on how Lusamine and aether foundation gonna be written in the anime.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't think she is a disappointment. Will she? That is yet to be seen, but right now I think it is too early to judge this 100%.

We have at least 1 more season, which will likely start introducing Aether and Skull more. It is very possible that we will have a 3rd season now since more pokemon have been revealed for total amount of new pokemon.

I think they are doing a pretty great job with how many characters there are and with a possibility of other characters returning before Alola is over, I have a feeling Gary will make a return at the very least and possibly Dawn. So I have to give the creators credit,

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
If you're looking for a disappointment, look no further than Mallow.

Lillie's had decent development so far, and obviously has more to come.

Mallow on the other hand, does nothing, and has no sense of development or progress as a character.

A similar argument could be made about Sophocles, but he at least has his moments (particularly SM026 and SM041).

Mallow is on DP Brock-levels of blandness and forgettability.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Mallow is far more developed and better than lillie by far in my opinion. I take Mallow over lillie anyday. Lillie is the disappointment of the show.

Years
In my opinion, no one in these series is a "disappointment". Also, Mallow has some episodes focusing on her too. I don't really understand why do you hate so much some characters. Every character has a development so far.

Years
In my opinion, no one in these series is a "disappointment". Also, Mallow has some episodes focusing on her too. I don't really understand why do you hate so much some characters. Every character has a development so far.

I think the reason why these issues get brought up is because SM is suffering from bad pacing and a much larger main group compared to the previous generations, meaning some characters are getting more underdeveloped than others or when development happens, it takes a very slow time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
Mallow is far more developed and better than lillie by far in my opinion. I take Mallow over lillie anyday. Lillie is the disappointment of the show.

Of all the SM cast, Mallow is the only one has absolutely zero development or progression outside of Bounsweet evolving.

Lillie: The main female character. Has made progress in overcoming her fear and still has the Aether arc to come.
Kiawe: Caught a second Pokemon.
Lana: Obtained a Z-Ring.
Sophocles: Caught a second Pokemon.
Mallow: Nothing.

Mallow is just a redundant and unnecessary character. Lillie already fills the designated main female companion spot (like Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, and Serena before her), and Lana has been a good supporting character. Mallow? She does nothing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Of all the SM cast, Mallow is the only one has absolutely zero development or progression outside of Bounsweet evolving.

Lillie: The main female character. Has made progress in overcoming her fear and still has the Aether arc to come.

Mallow is just a redundant and unnecessary character. Lillie already fills the designated main female companion spot (like Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, and Serena before her), and Lana has been a good supporting character. Mallow? She does nothing.

You forgot to mention that Lana's actually bonding with Misty, which is definitely something.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017

Nope. Lillie is the one with zero development. She is not the main female character. Lillie is redundant and unnecessary. Mallow is superior to her in every way. She developed more than lillie. Lillie does nothing.

I am not changing my mind.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
Nope. Lillie is the one with zero development. She is not the main female character. Lillie is redundant and unnecessary. Mallow is superior to her in every way. She developed more than lillie. Lillie does nothing.

The plot of the Sun & Moon games centers around Lillie. She's important to the plot, so yes, she is the main female character.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
The plot of the Sun & Moon games centers around Lillie. She's important to the plot, so yes, she is the main female character.

Games and anime are different. Lillie will never be the main female character to me because she is not a good character in my opinion. Same can be said to iris and serena whom i deem to not be the main female characters due to being bad.

This is my opinion of course and an opinion only. The anime did not show any plot tgat involves lillie so i doubt she plays an important role in the show. Again, my opinion.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years

Lillie at start:

1) No family confirmed, generic rich girl with 'tude, scared of every Pokemon, not a trainer

Lillie since SM030

2) Mother and Gladion confirmed, strained relationship with brother, trip to mother caused fear, is knowledgeable but naive, is a trainer with a Pokemon now that she can actually touch, is slowly coming around to touching other Pokemon and can touch Pikachus

You don't have to like Lillie but saying she's had no development makes you look stupid.

Years
So far, there is no main companion, are all equal imo. Also, you could mention that Mallow's pokemon is the only one (except of Ash's pokemon) that has evolved.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Lillie at start:

1) No family confirmed, generic rich girl with 'tude, scared of every Pokemon, not a trainer

Lillie since SM030

2) Mother and Gladion confirmed, strained relationship with brother, trip to mother caused fear, is knowledgeable but naive, is a trainer with a Pokemon now that she can actually touch, is slowly coming around to touching other Pokemon and can touch Pikachus

You don't have to like Lillie but saying she's had no development makes you look stupid.

No it does not make me stupid. If i think lillie is not developing, it is because i am very particular about female companions and how they developed. Lillie does not fit the bill that to me. Also can we leave insults out of this please? I want a nice discussion please.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
No it does not make me stupid. If i think lillie is not developing, it is because i am very particular about female companions and how they developed. Lillie does not fit the bill that to me. Also can we leave insults out of this please? I want a nice discussion please.

I said it makes you look stupid, not that you are stupid. Don't put words in my mouth.

As I said, she has had development and pointed out some examples how she has development, as did Rad Dudesman.

Also, if you want a discussion, explain why you think Lillie has had no development. I'm not just going to believe Lillie has no development 'because Alexander18 said so'. Justify your reasoning (why Lillie has zero development) with the evidence (the anime) if you actually want a discussion. It's all very well being particular about how characters grow, but you've given nothing to explain yourself other than 'muh opinion'. Repeating your statement without anything to back it up won't make others agree with you.

Back