• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is marriage important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I say it depends on your outlook on it.. I've never been in a relationship for a couple years now, but I think as long as your satisfied, happy, and don't want to live without your 'other half' as I put it sometimes, I say marriage doesn't matter unless you want to have it on paper. I do want to get married eventually, but i want to make sure its the 'one' before doing so.

Nyoxios

Vestige
    Years
  • I just want to say this for some people: marrying doesn't have to expensive! Of course the traditional way of marrying costs a lot of money, but if you want to marry just for the benefits and not out an "extra" bond, it's easy and simply arranged at the townhall (At least, where I live.)

I personally don't need to get married, the moment I get a girlfriend I'm committed already. All I care about is staying together and as an atheist I don't have to marry in the eyes of a god. Then again, if Miss Nyo wants to marry, I guess we're getting married ;)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I think marriage is important because of the benefits that come along with being married. Say if your spouse gets really ill and is not able to make clear decisions on their own, if you are not married you don't have any rights to speak for that person. Is that right? Well no, it isn't even if the person gives consent in writing the decisions will always go to the next of kin. Raising a family is also somewhat important to the child to have married parents I suppose. I am just guessing at this because my parents have always been married.

Years
  • Most of the reasons provided in defending marriage sound an awful lot like civil unions and domestic partnerships. Marriage as an institution needs to go away. Anyone can bet married privately, but civil unions should be the legal standard to include platonic friends who live together, couples who live together, and relatives who may pool resources, and often times raise children. The whole idea that there needs to be a romantic love in order to get social benefits as a commitment to family is a form of bias. Moreover we lose sight of what family is when we try to conform to certain legal standards that leave out families that do not fit the bill from having the same rights and recognition. In addition to the historic sexism, heteronormativity, monogamy, romantic relationships, and certain expectations for child-rearing.

The State should not undervalue some commitments by providing inequity of rights as to what are family, friendship, and love based on traditions -- that is against reason. Relationships between people and rights to preserve that relationship should not be regulated based upon traditions -- though it seems like most people unintentionally continue to undervalue some relationships without justification and hide behind social dogma to dictate their own and others lives. That's tyranny of consciousness -- please let people make their own choices and do not play into oppression because you feel a certain way about a topic. Use reason! Reason = Mutual Respect. Subjective Emotivism = Incommensurability and Disrespect. It's really annoying to read some of these comments and the sheer unintentional bigotry. Some insights, when you use "two people" you are defining who can and cannot get married; when you do that you must understand how that impacts someone elses' lives. That is just one example of bigotry among numerous others, but this is quite common in these forums, and even worse among the rest of the population when it comes to forming opinions based on subjective emotions and disregarding others' emotions as inferior without even knowing it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think marriage has its place. It was introduced as some sort of official blessing for two people who want to live together. However, as society moved on, more options became available and medicine allowed people to get older than before. That also lead to people being married to each other for a longer time. Those changes made apparent, that a marriage might not always be a good thing. Some people might still stay together for all the time and in such a case marriage might as well stick around, to give them something official. However, at the same time, finding new ways also sounds like a good plan.

Granted, finding other options besides marriage might also make things a lot more complicated.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Marriage is important to whom it serves at the time. I believe it's a case by case basis. For example, someone trying to stay in this country will marry. While illegal (for the sole purpose of staying in this country) the faux marriage may seem important to that particular couple. I haven't married, so I don't really feel cut out to offer a deep opinion on the subject, but just note that marriage is more a marriage of state than marriage for marriage sake. At least that's how I feel. Love, I guess?

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    Marriage was important up until just a few years ago. Marriage has always been a contract throughout history between a man and woman. Man would promise to feed and shelter the woman and children if the woman agreed to stay home and raise the children while the man was out hunting/foraging for food. On top of that, marriage as always had some connection with religion in general. Today, people don't have to leave home for days at a time nearly as much just to get food with domestication of livestock and irrigation for plants. With the existence of an education system, mothers don't need to stay home all day to raise the children, since the children will be at school.

So to summarize, marriage is not important in today's world.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I think it just really depends on the couple and what they desire or what will work best for them. I do feel that when children are involved, it's good to get married so that the kids are better protected in the event of a divorce. But it's not an absolute need.

Personally, I'm not too huge on the whole industry of marriage. I'm not a religious person and I'm not hugely sentimental. I already know I'm loyal to my partner and I don't need to further validate that. Still, the legal benefits are important to have, so my partner and I discuss marriage in our future for that reason. Probably won't make a big deal out of it, though.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • ...but i personally do not think it is that big of a deal...
    Wuutt?? I won't say you'll die or will live a miserable life if you didn't get married, but it is important, and it is a big deal, why? because... This is what make us different from animals... :3 meooow or naah.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • Wuutt?? I won't say you'll die or will live a miserable life if you didn't get married, but it is important, and it is a big deal, why? because... This is what make us different from animals... :3 meooow or naah.
    it is not all about marriage in life...
    it is about being happy with someone you truly love and who loves you back just as much you.
    do anything for each other, be there for each other through thik and thin etc etc

getting married and spending god knows how much money, doesn't give you that in life aka divorce

YOU get that yourself by making good and wise choices. marriage itself will give you a romantic day and a nice holiday and perhaps a fancy sparkling ring but thats it.

Del

Years
  • it is not all about marriage in life...
    it is about being happy with someone you truly love and who loves you back just as much you.
    do anything for each other, be there for each other through thik and thin etc etc

getting married and spending god knows how much money, doesn't give you that in life aka divorce

YOU get that yourself by making good and wise choices. marriage itself will give you a romantic day and a nice holiday and perhaps a fancy sparkling ring but thats it.

My beloved Pebbles, I totally agree with you in the "money" part =D I LOLed, really! I also agreed with you before when I said you can actually live without that though!
    But come on!!! A sparkling is not good remark to use it for instances, LMAO! Marriage means reaching an other level in term of your personality, meaning; You were just 75% of real YOU (body and soul) now you're completed by having an other part that YOU were missing.

P.s. What about? Are you thinking of marrying? If this guys:
    Is marriage important?

Asked your hand, would you accept??

Last edited:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • [/CENTER]
    If this guys:
    Is marriage important?

Asked your hand, would you accept??
    if you mean the left guy, which is hongbin, he asking me to marry him
    lol
    i be fainting, not even able to give him an answer
    that guy is so handsome it is unreal
    his smile kills me oh dear god

anyways, this is really an unfair question, to incl hongbin in this
    and not relevant and will not change my view on marriage lol
    nice try​

Reactions: Del

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    It's a personal thing, some people want to get married, some don't. If it works for you then it's obviously important in that sense.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    it is a big deal, why? because... This is what make us different from animals... :3 meooow or naah.
    I would think that out of all the things one could use to try to separate humans from animals, marriage would not be very high on the list

Del

Years
  • if you mean the left guy, which is hongbin, he asking me to marry him
    lol
    i be fainting, not even able to give him an answer
    that guy is so handsome it is unreal
    his smile kills me oh dear god

anyways, this is really an unfair question, to incl hongbin in this
    and not relevant and will not change my view on marriage lol
    nice try​

Whaaat even my trump card didn't help to win this debate with you, my lady you were right! I was wrong, congrats :D
    I hope you meet someone far better than hongbin, BUT...BUT, YOU must not marry, because if you do... That will mean my victory muwahahahahhaah, I'm watching you.....

Del

Years
  • I would think that out of all the things one could use to try to separate humans from animals, marriage would not be very high on the list

Yeah, the fact there are some animals are actually getting "married" but in a different ways LOL.

Years
  • Marriage is pretty important to me. i have a couple family members who never got married and still lived with their significant other, but it always felt off to me. I get that some people can be in a relationship and they don't feel a need to make it official but that's just never worked for me. I'm all about communication and being clear of where we stand and I can't really imagine living in a void like that.
    I definitely want to propose to my gf eventually, but right now I don't think either of us are ready. We've been dating for a little over a year and I want us to get some more time in. She moved in with me recently so after a year or so of that I think I would be ready. A lot of my friends broke up after about a year of living together so I want us to get over that hump first. But after that, I definitely want to make it official. The benefits don't hurt either, but they're more for her than for me lol.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • Believe it or not, YES! Marrying early is a way to escape the family, one story I heard of a friend in college that his friend married early and is now an architect! Marrying late helps you too finish your studies and live with your parents more. Another reason for marrying early is to, well, avoid cigarettes. Anyways, there are also disadvantages, if you don't know how to make a living out of your family, you'd be dead.

Conclusion: Marriage is very important. Either you like it or not, you will get married, 1 day you will see your perfect soul mate. good luck everyone! ;)

Years
  • I would think that out of all the things one could use to try to separate humans from animals, marriage would not be very high on the list

Well, think about it. Marriage is the concept of Covenant. Two parties (the usual time-honored tradition) mutually consenting to enter into an agreement with each other. There may be many variations and deviations from this that we may call either bad or good, but that has been the historical standpoint and the socially-accepted one without too much detail.

The point is, animals cannot give consent or enter into contract with each other. You might say that sort of social declaration to one's culture and society is awfully unique to humanity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back