• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: Is Pokemon your favorite game franchise?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Is Pokemon your favorite game franchise? How do the games rank compared with other series you like (if any)? What about the Pokemon games as a whole do you like most, and what elements take away from your enjoyment of the series? Are there things that other games do that you wish the Pokemon series would adopt?

De La Luz

Heavenly Revolver // Anti-Reload
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    Metal Gear, Devil May Cry and Tomb Raider take precedence for me over Pokemon. But I prefer more complex games.

Pokemon is that simple pleasure personally, something you can play while doing other things and feel oddly satisfied. And that's my favorite element of it honestly, the older Final Fantasy games did it too -- but pokemon is just endearing with it's wide variety and discovery. I love that too, like in Hoenn -- you had to actually read Braille for extra quests and do special things. Or the Tanoby Key. I love the side teasers they have for legendaries when they have them, especially if they're hidden away. The map becomes more immersive and you can get lost in the world that they've made.

As is, what I dislike about it -- is it becomes a quest to beat the elite four and gym leaders. The teams are distractions half the time and the adventure is always plagued by that "story progression". Rather than just stepping it back a little and letting you explore to find things as an option. Like hiding things in the sea or underwater -- secret puzzles and pathways -- caves that change openings and let you find new pokemon that are actually good or legendary or iconic. Expanding on the actual world and making it worth being in beyond more pokemon and a different script.

Years
    Pokemon is my favorite game series. Metal Gear used to take higher priority and had the top spot until Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain disappointed me. Other series I love are Mario, Zelda, Zero Escape, Gran Turismo and classic Resident Evil.

Things I dislike are that recently postgame content has been lacking. I still can do breeding, shiny hunting, leveling, and pokedex, but I want something more since those things are available in all the other games too. Give me either a set of islands to explore or another region. Or more things to do in the regions. I would love things like bug catching contests to make a return. Events that take place on certain days are some of my favorites and I'd like to see more of that.

Years
    I have my fair share of game franchises I love, but Pokemon's always been the one I've been the most attached to so I guess you could say it is my all-time fave.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    The only other franchise I've liked for as long as Pokemon is GTA. The main thing I dislike about Pokemon, if anything, is Nintendo milking our nostaliga by churning out so many remakes. Rockstar don't pull that lazy, pandering crap.

edit: Despite this I do love Pokemon more, God help me.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    Pokemon is my favorite, I feel more in a "fandom" with Pokemon, but I love two other series: Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. I'll play every games of these series.

I like Zelda too but I haven't played all.

Fun fact: my favorite game is Banjo-Tooie (love Banjo-Kazooie too) but I don't consider it a serie as they only have these and Nuts and Bolt (which I really dislike)

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    Yes, yes it is. It's my favorite game franchise and an integral part of my life. Nothing will top it for me. The only other ones that have come close are Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and Touhou, but even those are more passive fandoms.

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
    Years
    The Elders Scrolls games take top spot for me, but then Pokémon and Animal Crossing fight for second spot Pokémon has always been a love of mine, I just find it so relaxing to play and I just love to collect things as to why Animal Crossing is competing with it for second spot

What would make Pokémon better in my mind is a better story more things to do after the story and a harder difficulty for more experienced players

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Pokemon is my favorite with Mario games coming in second. I think I've played every game in both series (at least the main series of games. Haven't played the Pokemon Dungeon or Paper Mario or stuff like that)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokemon is one of my favorites, right alongside Megaman (Battle Network series, especially); I've been hooked to them for a very long time and will continue to be.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Pokemon is my favorite, I feel more in a "fandom" with Pokemon

That's a great way to describe it. There are games, TV shows etc I like more than Pokemon but I can't see myself joining a related forum or buying as many collectables.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Yeah, it is. Which is strange considering my taste in video games was always the tycoon sort of games that make you feel in control of everything along creative expression. (The Movies, RCT etc.) I guess it's because there's so much more to Pokemon than the gameplay itself - there's an entire new world with new creatures to talk about!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Most definitely. Pokémon has been a huge part of my life for years now and there hasn't been another series that has had such an impact on me, for so long.

A good runner up would probably be the Touhou Project or the Elder Scrolls series. I haven't been a fan of either for as long as Pokémon but I've enjoyed them both for a few years now.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    That's a great way to describe it. There are games, TV shows etc I like more than Pokemon but I can't see myself joining a related forum or buying as many collectables.

Pokemon in the 90s was like G.I. Joe in the 80s. The way my Uncles read the comics, bought the toys and watched the cartoons. We played the games, bought the cards and watched the cartoons. Although I haven't watched the cartoons or bought cards in years, the games stick with me more.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    Pokemon is absolutely my favorite. There are other game franchises that I enjoy, but none come close to Pokemon!

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Totally. My students ask me if I'm a gamer, I simply reply "not really, but I do love Pokémon" :3

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Yep. Here are my top 5 favorite game franchises.
    1.) Pokemon
    2.) Kingdom Hearts
    3.) NBA 2K
    4.) Custom Robo
    5.) Final Fantasy

Back