• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I've Never Heard of the Berserk Gene

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Awhile back, I watched a playthrough of Pokemon Crystal, and saw a person pick up the hidden item, "Berserk Gene" and I'd never heard of it before! Apparently, it was only in GSC, so I'm sure a lot of people haven't heard of it, either.

What are some in game Pokemon items you've never heard of, or forget about often? I also forgot there was an item called an Ability Capsule... then again, it's not easy to get, so can you blame me?

Years
  • I keep forgetting that letters/mail are a thing. I'm pretty sure they were more useful during older generations when you had cute little messages to share to your friends before social media was really properly a thing (as well as other communication methods), but it's easy to forget they ever really existed or served any sort of real purpose.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Yeah, same here. A massive deal was made out of mail in earlier generations but I don't really see a point in it, especially considering the messages you send are really restrictive. Also it stopped you from boxing your Pokemon unless you removed the mail. I have a sneaky feeling that mail was one of the main draws of one of the new mechanics of Gen 2 where you could attach items to a Pokemon, and mail was used to show it off.

As for items I myself have forgotten exist, there's a lot of really obscure items in Gen 2 that you get from trading a mon from Gen 1, such as the Pink Bow and the Brick Piece. But then again, they got superseded by later items like Silk Scarf.

Nekodatta

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
  • The FR/LF remakes had a bunch of minigames you could play in multiplayer with a friend on the Sevi island using the little weird wireless adapter that came with the games.
    Honestly forgot it existed because I didn't have friends to play multiplayer with before gen IV/V

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i knew abt the berserk gene from renting pokemon stadium 2 as a kid. someone that rented it before at some point had given the game access to mewtwo and it was always holding it. i remember being mad i could never seem to find it in the game, though. also i think some people in that game gave it to primeape as well?

anyway i guess like probably half the new items idk about. i'd name them but i don't know them. so how can i

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Those Gen II items from Gen I trades are pretty obscure. It's the only way to get the TM for Psych-Up in those games, from a traded Abra. Single Gen Items usually are forgettable and aren't that interesting anyway.

However, the best unknown item is the Grubby Hanky.

Years
  • I haven't done a lot of the Battle facilities in the past few gens, so any items that are found there exclusively are the ones I tend to miss. One of the most recent ones I remember coming across was the Binding Band in the Battle Royale Dome. I remember thinking that it was some new item, only to find out that it had been around since Black and White, though only through spending BP.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I only learned the Lucky Punch existed yesterday when I looked up where Larvitar was found in FR/LG. Seems a little bit useless, to be honest, especially given Eviolite's existence nowadays.

Back