• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga JoJo any good?

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Been interested in it for a while but I never tried it.

Any good? What's it even about?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The anime is considered good because it's one of the few animes that's a breath of fresh air from the typical moeblob anime we've been getting for years, which caused a lot of western viewers to grow a distaste towards modern anime (until they go back to making anime more akin to the ones from the 90's and early 2000's).

The story revolves around the Joestar family throughout their generations, beginning in the late 1800's, as they battle vampires that were formed by an Aztec mask. Later on, the series introduces stands, which are like Personas from the game series of the same name.

Years
  • It's about some guys (and a girl at one point) having a bizarre adventure.

The anime is considered good because it's one of the few animes that's a breath of fresh air from the typical moeblob anime we've been getting for years, which caused a lot of western viewers to grow a distaste towards modern anime (until they go back to making anime more akin to the ones from the 90's and early 2000's).

in the nicest way possible, you don't know what you're on about.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • It's amazing.

Part 1 is only 10 episodes long and it kinda goes by fast and can be sorta meh because of it, but Part 2 is absolutely amazing (also considered the best part of JoJo) and Part 3 and Part 4 are pretty good too (though these 2 and all other parts after that change the style of the series quite a lot because of Stands).

The series is pretty much just a story of various characters from the generation of the Joestar family fighting against "evil". Can't really say much more because the story is actually really good and you def don't want much spoiled.

Soundtrack is on point too.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • My friend showed me the oppening, and I really like the art style.. Haven't watched an anime in a long time, it might me change my mind! (I liked more the 80's and 90s anime)

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • The 2012 series (Part 1 and 2) is my favorite. In Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable they really changed to an episodic much more formulaic nature that really pales in comparison to the 2012 series.

It's not to say that I don't/didn't enjoy SC and DiU. It just was very disappointing to me coming from the 2012 series.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Jojo is probably the most Insanely creative manga of it's generation... quirky fun to read and just plainly awesome...

The anime captures the manga perfectly resorting to dynamically epic stills that give emphasis and intensity to every moment... This is the best anime that utilizes the moving manga style. oh and the sound design is perfect, giving an amusing and intense feel to some scenes.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The anime is considered good because it's one of the few animes that's a breath of fresh air from the typical moeblob anime we've been getting for years, which caused a lot of western viewers to grow a distaste towards modern anime (until they go back to making anime more akin to the ones from the 90's and early 2000's).
    Considering anime was far more niche back then and more Westerners than ever enjoy it today...I mean...

But yeah, it's pretty fun. It's exactly as the title implies and was written by someone who just does whatever he wants, which gives the series a lot of its own identity. The music's pretty fun, it's about as great in context as it is out of it, and overall it's a fun time. I'm not going to say it doesn't fall to some pretty damning mainstays. There's exposition up the wazoo- if you don't like characters explaining something that happens on screen ad nauseum for minutes on end, this might turn you off (especially during Phantom Blood), and while the writing is pretty eccentric and the characters equally so, there are definitely stereotypes among the revolving door main cast. Sometimes these things are done tongue and cheek and are completely self-aware, other times they're a product of the times, but if you take it for what it is then it all just blends pretty well into the over the top nature of this generational series and it'll add more than it hurts.

So yeah, I'd recommend at least giving it a taste test.

Years
  • JoJo is definitely my favorite anime series even though it's been only about a year since I decided to give it a go.
    The name gives the series kind of a bad vibe when you hear it. That's what kept me from taking a look at it for so long. But because I'm such a sucker for funny/sad/action combination, I totally fell in love with it.

Years
  • I'd imagine most people who it puts off have some experience with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since that aired on US Toonami in the mid-2000s, and that one got kind of weird. So "Bizarre" in an anime context might be seen as having the potential to be something even stranger than that.

That or the maybe name sounds too Western for some.

Years
  • I guess the off-putting part in the name is mostly my personal feelings then.
    Seeing "Bizarre Adventure" as name just seems forced to me and sounds to me more as "Wacky Adventure".
    Anyway, if you like the name then more power to you and I'm glad that it doesn't sound so bad to others.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Decided to try it out and really liked it.

On Stardust arc at the moment. Only a few episodes in, but so far it seems heavily toned down from the first arc in terms of ridiculousness, and the pacing is really hectic -- throwing this "Stand" idea at you suddenly, and rushing you from character to character. Hopefully it gets better.

Back