• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kotone's English Name

How did you feel about Kotone's Official English Name?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmas

General
Years
  • Who knows? Kotone's English name may be something completely irrelevant, or they may keep it at that.

Melody or Harmony does fit, though. :]

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I personally agree with the majority. Melody does seem like the most fitting name for Kotone's English name. Then again it all depends on what Pokémon dubs her to be in the English title. Harmony though seems like an overly done name for just a female character in the game. We'll see what she's named sooner or later though. I'm sure it could be completely predictable or utterly irrelevant as what was said in the post above me.

Kristen however isn't likely. It is too close to Krystal and it will relate too much of a similarity between the two, when it is known to be that Krystal and Kotone are two different individuals.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    i dont care what they call her, i will be naming her Melody or Harmony, just like i always call Kris 'Crystal', and i call Silver whatever i can think of. Official names mean nothing to me, i give them my own if i deem the name stupid, such examples include: Red, Blue, Gold, Leaf and Silver. you know, the names that aren't even remotely names

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    "Melody" and "Harmony" sound like fitting names. For some reason "Lucy" comes to mind also, though I'm not sure why it reminds me of sound.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2016
    For Misty it was a translation from Kasumi. For Dawn, a somewhat pun based on translation from Hikari as dawn is the light of a new day, but for May... There was no connection from her real name Haruka, meaning distance, unless she started in the month of May which is a distance from January...
    Anyway... Since the names alternated from translation to random and back to a somewhat translation, they might go with a random name again with maybe some form of alteration.
    There was already a Melody in the second movie so they might not use the same name twice for a main/secondary character again... But maybe they will... Or a name with the meaning of Soul or Kindhearted...
    Either way we'll know her US name soon.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I don't think she'll be called Soul, the only reason they called Red and Green by those names was because they where what the fans already knew them best as from RBG/FRLG and it would have been hard to name them anything else for GSC/HGSS without messing up the charaters in the originals, I don't know what her name will be, but it will be a real name and not Soul.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't think she'll be called Soul, the only reason they called Red and Green by those names was because they where what the fans already knew them best as from RBG/FRLG and it would have been hard to name them anything else for GSC/HGSS without messing up the charaters in the originals, I don't know what her name will be, but it will be a real name and not Soul.
    The only reason why Red remained with the same name now in the remakes of Gold and Silver is because that was his official name in FireRed and LeafGreen. Seeing as what happened in FRLG is three years before the events of HGSS, it would only make sense that he kept the same name. It has nothing to do with RBY because if the order of events hadn't taken place like they did, Red could have been changed regardless of what the fans knew him as.

As for Kotone, her English name can range from anything possible. At least anything possible with a similar relation to Kotone (or not). It would only make sense, but Soul isn't a lost option either.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    The only reason why Red remained with the same name now in the remakes of Gold and Silver is because that was his official name in FireRed and LeafGreen. Seeing as what happened in FRLG is three years before the events of HGSS, it would only make sense that he kept the same name. It has nothing to do with RBY because if the order of events hadn't taken place like they did, Red could have been changed regardless of what the fans knew him as.

As for Kotone, her English name can range from anything possible. At least anything possible with a similar relation to Kotone (or not). It would only make sense, but Soul isn't a lost option either.

It has EVERYTHING to do with RBG (yellow dosn't because that is Ash NOT Red) because FRLG are REMAKES and apart from the small group of Island there is nothing diffrent between the games, when they desided to reuse the RBG charaters for GSC (RBG is based 3 years before GSC aswell thats well known) they picked Red and Green for there names because that was what they where already known as, and they kept it the same when they remade them, they where already default names for them in GSC and because of been so well know that way from RBG.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It has EVERYTHING to do with RBG (yellow dosn't because that is Ash NOT Red) because FRLG are REMAKES and apart from the small group of Island there is nothing diffrent between the games, when they desided to reuse the RBG charaters for GSC they picked Red and Green for there names because that was what they where already known as, and they kept it the same when they remade them, they where already default names for them in GSC and because of been so well know that way from RBG.
    If you were to relate the names with the original RBG and GSC, then yes it would have everything to do with those two. However, HGSS is now apart of the newer generation, therefore having a closer relation with the names of FRLG rather the the first originals. Regardless, the English choice of name for Kotone doesn't strongly factor based on Red or Green and how they were kept the same.

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
    Years
  • Does anyone else hate that they just went and created a new character (with a non-traditional name, since these are the GSC remakes, not something completely new [I didn't really care that much about them doing that in RSE and DPPt, since those were completely original games, not remakes) without using Kris again? I would hate it even more if Gold were renamed, as he probably will :(

Years
  • I think Harmony would be a good dub name for her.

Does anyone else hate that they just went and created a new character (with a non-traditional name, since these are the GSC remakes, not something completely new [I didn't really care that much about them doing that in RSE and DPPt, since those were completely original games, not remakes) without using Kris again? I would hate it even more if Gold were renamed, as he probably will :(

Actually, a lot of people (especially those on this site) were pretty upset when they first found out that Kris wasn't in this game and instead this new girl, named Kotone, is the female protagonist. A lot of people were complaining about it. I don't mind that Kris isn't in these remakes, because I like the new character, but I can understand why people were/are upset that Kris (the first playable female protagonist ever) wasn't in the GSC remakes.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think you just have to watch the anime to find out her name. Look at Dawn and May.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Doesn't ANYONE think her name would be Heart?
    Well anyways I hope her name is Melody or Soul
    Heart is good to but it sounds too weird

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
  • um..just so you all know, May and Dawn were named after their video game counterparts, not the otherway around. Otherwise Gold/Hibiki will have to be Jimmy, as his counterpart is called in the anime.

Also, I noticed that the player characters have different official names in the games, for instance, Gold's official names as of now are Gold (the original name), Soul (what he was called in HG/SS trailers), & Hibiki (Japanese Pseudo-Rival HG/SS name). Kotone's names are also different Heart (what she was called in trailers as the player), & Kotone (what she's called as the Pseudo-Rival in the Japanese HG/SS).

However, as was previously stated, I think Melody is a perfect English name for Kotone. Its close to Kotone's meaning (Sound of a Harp) and it'll even work for the anime Kotone since it has the same syllables (Ko-to-ne & Mel-o-dy), so they won't have to change it like they did with Lorelei by calling her Prima because of her Japanese name (Kanna) having only two syllables while Lorelei has 3. However, if Kotone's called Melody in the anime, she'll lose the pun made of her name in the Japanese version. In the Japanese anime Kotone says "koto ne" after some sentences. "Koto ne" is the Japanese equivalent of "Right" as used in "You think so too, right?"

Last edited:

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • um..just so you all know, May and Dawn were named after their video However, if Kotone's called Melody in the anime, she'll lose the pun made of her name in the Japanese version. In the Japanese anime Kotone says "koto ne" after some sentences. "Koto ne" is the Japanese equivalent of "Right" as used in "You think so too, right?"

"Sounds like a melody to my ears!"

...Naw, that'n doesn't work... That'll be tricky. That's always hard transitioning things like that.

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • I would love it if they called her Melody. It's a cute name that I think suits her, and it's pretty much a direct translation, too. ;u;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back