• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Last One to Post Wins! v4

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
Years
  • Despite remakes/remasters always being based on the original pair of a games for a region people keep expecting things from the third game for some reason. Like, agree with it or not you should at least realize it ain't happening by now. =P

I think that the reason why people yearn for remakes to be like that is due to some considering the third games better than the two originals, normally because the third games fix a lot of stuff people didn't like about the first two. One that I can name off the top of my head is the fact that Diamond and Pearl had practically no fire-types, if not for the fire starter and the Ponyta line, something Platinum got rid of, but also something that BDSP kept, and that made people very unhappy about.

Years
    • Seen today
    That pretty much nails it.

It's really silly that they keep making 'faithful remakes of the originals', when they created these third versions that were supposed to be objective improvements. I don't think that the problem is expectation, but it's just so strange.

I don't blame anybody who feels upset.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I blame the "it needs to be two versions" problem. I personally would probably just scrap the idea and just bring out a single version, instead. At this point they could even go way back to the original idea of having a version that is tailored towareds every individual player. Kind of like Friend Safaris but maybe a little more extensively; with some influence on the main game, as well.

Days
  • With that said, Gen-I box featured the Kanto Starters, even the next remake, Yellow, featured Pikachu only. And afterwards the trend changed from G/S/C, and then concept of two Box Legendary came into existence, which started from HGSS.

And when we talk about a singular version, then Emerald and Platinum stand out, because in both these games, we can catch the Cover Legendary of same generation; i.e Terra Cave and Marine Cave in Emerald; and Spear Pillar in Platinum. So having a third version does helps the cause, although it seems that going for them makes the game redundant, as the storyline and locations are same more or less......

Conceptually speaking, Gen-III, Gen-IV and Gen-V have best of concepts. The Distortion World and SkyArrow Bridge are among the standout locations in NDS graphics era. I remember that I was just cycling myself on SkyArrow Bridge to just take a look, and Distortion World confused me when I was playing it for first time. The idea of Altered-parallel universe is amazing, and it was left unexplored, as it carries some potential.

Gen-III legendary Pokemon's ability does made us feel that they do rule Land Water and Air, and they did offered a lot of usability, rather than the those in later generations, which are more or less a remake of existing ability. ( Tervolt/Turboblaze are just Mold Breaker, Fairy Aura is like Pixilate, Full Metal Body is just White Smoke/Clear Body, etc)

Years
  • I like Dialga the most of the Sinnoh box arts, followed by Palkia.

I think that the reason why people yearn for remakes to be like that is due to some considering the third games better than the two originals, normally because the third games fix a lot of stuff people didn't like about the first two. One that I can name off the top of my head is the fact that Diamond and Pearl had practically no fire-types, if not for the fire starter and the Ponyta line, something Platinum got rid of, but also something that BDSP kept, and that made people very unhappy about.

I mean they can yearn all they want ofc. I'm just saying they should realize there's no point as GF has never done it and clearly has no intention to. It's like refusing to face reality to me.

You're false on the Fire types problem though.

You can catch Houndour/Houndoom before even fighting the second gym and if you have the right version Magby as well. And that's just the Fire types you can get straight away.
    Vulpix/Growlithe became available soon after (though version exclusives iirc) .

The Fire type starters are post game though, of course. Which leaves what, the Fire legendaries and Flareon (also post game).

Edit: apparently the Slugma/Numel lines & Torkoal are National Pokedex spawns... Weird, could've sworn I saw Numel much earlier on.

Ah yes such a big Fire type problem, you can't get an Eevee for a Flareon before beating the E4! =P

(I mean previous game legendaries and starters usually are a post game thing to begin with)

Anyway, I think the bigger problem for Sinnoh is that there's just not a whole lot of non- legendary non-starter Fire types to begin with.

Edit 2: Checked Platinum's Dex as well. As far as Fire types go the only one in it that's in post game in BDSP is Flareon. Poor eevees =\

Last edited:

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
  • I mean they can yearn all they want ofc. I'm just saying they should realize there's no point as GF has never done it and clearly has no intention to. It's like refusing to face reality to me.

You're false on the Fire types problem though.

You can catch Houndour/Houndoom before even fighting the second gym and if you have the right version Magby as well. And that's just the Fire types you can get straight away.
    Vulpix/Growlithe became available soon after (though version exclusives iirc) and Numel/Torkoal not too long after that.
    Can't remember when Slugma becomes available =P

The Fire type starters are post game though, of course. Which leaves what, the Fire legendaries and Flareon (also post game).

Ah yes such a big Fire type problem, you can't get an Eevee for a Flareon before beating the E4!

(I mean previous game legendaries and starters usually are a post game thing to begin with)

I think the bigger problem for Sinnoh is that there's just not a whole lot of non- legendary non-starter Fire types to begin with.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot lol. I do know that there were some problems with BDSP that were in the original games, but yeah this one was not a very great example.

Days
  • Honestly, I'd never really realised that the Sinnoh region games had so few Fire-type Pokémon- it probably doesn't help that at some point with Pearl and Platinum (although it was probably sometime after originally beating the games) I got an action replay device, and could just spawn a specified Pokemon (Fire-type or other) and capture other trainers' Pokémon. That was fun. Although it was cheating...

Years
  • I've never used Action Replay.

Fire is a type I often omit on teams tbh as it's an optional type to have on your teams if you ask me. Flying used to be required due to HM's, but has become optional to me now as well. Actually.... not sure there's any types I'd consider mandatory. Like I'll usually have a Psychic type and a Water type + whatever the starter is that I picked (usually grass or Water, but not always). Fairy is handy to have, but not required either. Etc. etc.

I usually just throw a bunch of randoms on my team that I like design wise =P

Days
  • I use a team of my fave pokemon as shinies!

I usually just throw a bunch of randoms on my team that I like design wise =P

I only specialize in using 6 types out of 18 😭😰😥😢

They are Fairy, Fighting, Steel, Ground, Ghost and Poison. So I usually end up looking for these types for Pokemon, and everything else which I get along the way is considered as bonus. I don't enjoy fire types as such, and electric type also feels monotonous. For using fly, I catch some stage-II Pokemon like Tranquil, Swellow, and they are eventually replaced by Pokemon like Salamence at last !!

Though, Braviary is among my favorite, and his Defiant ability can break through defenses if invested in speed, and using Superpower.

Days
  • I generally like to have a varied team, as well as switching some out occasionally. Something I also do is in my boxes I'll have different teams arranged, and then I can change my team about depending on the opponent(s) I'm going to have to face.

I'm really glad they have gotten out of forcing you to have Pokémon with HM moves in your team to be able to travel everywhere, especially when said moves have to be unlearned at a tutor rather than just replaced with a new move. I remember in one of the games I had a Mantine that naturally learned Surf, and then he was able to learn a new move, and I wanted to replace Surf with it- I then proceed to get an obnoxious thing appearing that said this move couldn't be replaced. He learned it NATURALLY!!! Why do I have to go unlearn a move that was learned NATURALLY...?! Ach...

Years
  • I typically try to only use Pokemon from the region the game is based in (ie: only native Johto Pokemon in SoulSilver, only native Alola Pokemon in Moon) and try to avoid any type overlap on my team; but other then that I just use what I enjoy. I used to only really use super "mainstream" teams when I'd play through the games. But I've found myself having a far better time when I slip some weaker or more obscure 'mons in there; some of them actually have a surprising amount of utility!

Back