• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite generation?

Least favorite generation?

• Gen I

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen II

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Gen III

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Gen V

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen VI

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Gen VII

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen VIII

Votes: 18 26.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • Would have to go with gen 7 followed closely by gen 8, the only reason I would put gen 7 as the worst instead of 8 is the trials hated them I prefer the normal gym format

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Assuming Gen 8 is considered to be just SwSh and not LGPE, then it's definitely my least favourite, even ranking below Gen 6 which I have ragged on a lot. Swsh didn't bring much new to the table, the ideas it did have like the wild area were far too simple, and while I'm not someone who cares about Dexit, these games sure did take a lot away in exchange for not a lot of good. Besides some cool Gym Leader designs, it doesn't really have anything to offer in terms of story and characters either, and only a few new Pokemon are actually good.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    ..For what it's worth: gen 7 is incredibly boring, cutscenes are thrown in and the player character's facial expression make them seem like some sort of psychopath at times. The game mechanics haven't really evolved much from gen 6, the 3D models are exactly the same as gen 6 including (read: my main issue about them) the animation cycles. I mean gen 1-5 had spritework that looked very different with every new generation and that gave the graphics a sort of development as they got more detailed and lifely..

Exactly! I really can't distinguish 6 and 7 when trying to recall memories. Everything felt somewhat "fake" to me. I thought it was nostalgia but I bought Gen IV and V afterwards and enjoyed them both quite a lot more.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    ngl gen 8 doesn't seem very exciting. However, it does have many cool pokémon.

That's more than I can say about gen 6's new additions. And a very boring game and region. However, the anime was cool and I did enjoy the game style, the chibi characters and the mechanics.

Gen 7 was frankly too alien for me to appreciate much, and the anime was... not to my taste. but it was fun to play the games and there's some cool pokémon there.

I think it's a split between these three for me. I like the older gens better, haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Gen 5 because I'm a basic genwunner who hated the new pokémon's designs (except for Serperior and a few others).

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Gen 5, because i like to go for the Firestarter, but didnt like the design that generation.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • Gen 4 (well, D/P/Pt specifically) is probably my least favorite out of all the ones I've played at least most of the way through. I found the gameplay to be painfully slow and the story just didn't really do anything for me.

I did enjoy HG/SS (they're easily one of my favorites!) as I felt that the gameplay had improved by then and I enjoyed the modernizations and updates to Johto, but I'm also a massive Gen 2 simp so I'm ridiculously biased.

Years
  • Gen 4 is my least favourite because of the slow paced battles, even with animations switched off. Platinum improved it a tad, but it still could've been a lot faster.

In spite of that, I did enjoy Gen 4 a lot though. It had a good region, story and introduced some great Pokemon. :)

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    That was a hard choice actually, but in the end I went for Generation 1. As someone who started playing much later than that, I never found those games very appealing and their plot never really interesting. It doesn't even look like they were really planned cohesively: there are many roadblocks such as the Snorlax and the Guard that could've been just avoided or turned into something more interesting, many ideas that aren't fully explored or sometimes clash (Lavender Tower, the Mew diary, Cubone and Marowak...) and the battles are pretty unbalanced towards the Psychic type - amongst other things. It's by no means a bad generation and acts as a great starting point for the franchise, but again... it just doesn't work for me!

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I don't have a generation I "hate", but for 2 of them I can definitely they're below others. I was tempted to go with Gen I. I don't have any nostalgia tying me and I can never see it as anything but a bare foundation for the future games. The region is bland and pretty samey, the games are buggy and unnecessarily tedious in some places, sprites are ugly, but... in the end I went with Gen VI. And you know why? I can tell you where everything is in Kanto. Which Pokemon is found where, gym leaders, their Pokemon, cities... I can tell you all of that. It's iconic. A luxury that gen VI doesn't have.
    Hell if I know what Pokemon the rivals use, I only remember that Serena uses Mega Absol and the starter. Lysandre and the whole AZ backstory was interesting, but team Flare as a whole was just boring, the badges were ugly imo, gym leaders and Elite Four forgettable, I don't know the names of places, nor what Pokemon you can find there. Not to mention the laughable difficulty.
    I will say though, Mega Evolutions are cool and I really liked most of the new Pokemon.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • It was honestly a 3 way tie between Gen I, VI, and VIII for me, but, in the end, Gen I won out, its a good blueprint for the franchise, but, other than that, it has nothing going for it. There are multiple problems with the balancing in this generation, and a basically non-existent story, ideas that go nowhere, etc. I also absolutely despise how much Game Freak has been milking Gen I for all its worth for the last 7 or so years, and it practically reached its peak with Gen VIII. Like, I get it, its iconic, but, why can't you just show other regions some love as well? There's loads of marketable stuff from those generations, but of course they are just desperately trying to get the attention of the people who only played Pokemon in the 90's because it was the hot thing to do.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I'll probably play through all the gens again to get a better conclusion of the games and refresh my memory and perhaps post in this again but in the meantime I will say Gen 8. The games felt rushed: has poor graphics, there's a lack of content, feels archaic for 2020 standards, poor coding causes random pop-ins and glitches, reused models and animations, online is bad, and then the cut PokéDex (my favourite made it but others weren't so lucky). While I'm thankful they made some things streamlined and gave some Pokémon I loved, it sadly doesn't save the game from being the worst gen I've played so far.

Years
  • V.

And it is our fault - not Gamefreak's or Nintendo's.

Why? Because we accepted BW2. The aforementioned companies' laziness went downhill from there.

XY was great but after that we had SM with... USUM. Well, the community accepted BW2, that was pretty much like playing BW a second time, so why not?

And finally, SWSH with the incomplete Pokedex. On top of that the companies decided to make us pay more to not be that affected by their laziness - what we are also accepting. So probably the next generation will also have basic content locked inside a DLC.

Years
  • My first and fav Gen was Gen 4 with Platinum and its amazing I love that gen, then I got gen 6 (Y) a couple years later and I know its not really gonna stand up to my love and the brilliance of Gen 4 but there was a lot of things that just were off about it its not terrible I dont think any Pokemon game is its just the lowest in my Opinion, I got Ultra Moon and yeah it has some issues like a lot of people say the hand holding and I am not sure how much post game there is but I think I like the atmosphere, the style and the Pokemon more than Gen 6, recently I have been playing some old Gens such as Gen 2, 4 and yesterday 5 and I have been loving them, they are funny, the 2D looks great and comfy, they each feel unique and adventurous and its makes me miss the care that the newer games seem to have lost quite a bit, I haven't played Gen 8 yet but I really like it and its not the worst for me so Gen 6 is at the lowest spot in my opinion.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Gen VII remains my least favorite. I had thought Pokemon was going strong through Gens IV-VI, and was really hyped up for Gen VII. But then Sun/Moon came out. The games were just much less fun for me, with annoying features like the SOS battle feature and the very inconsistent difficulty.

Then the generation ended with LGP/E and that really sealed the deal.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    whenever I do this I take gen 1 out of consideration because it's really hard to judge the start fairly imo. So with that said I have developed a toss up between gens 2, 5, and 8.

I used to absolutely LOVE gen 2 growing up, but over the years I've found it to be incredibly boring. There's something about once you get past Goldenrod and the map completely opens up that I partly enjoy, but that's also where the excitement in my play through usually ends. Also the leveling is horrible. Even in the remakes, everything is so low leveled. If I go in with a team of six I always end up in the very low 40s by the time I reach the Elite Four. Even though I like the Pokemon from this gen a lot of them are pretty forgettable.

Although I've come to enjoy gen 5 more as I've gotten older I just can't get over how bad some of the designs are. I remember when Black/White came out I hated it so much that I had to stop playing Pokemon for awhile. I will also never understand the story praise this gen gets and I just can not stand N at all.

Lastly gen 8. It's just very linear, virtually nothing to explore. The starters are so easy for me to pass up. I never played the dlcs so I can't say if they were good or not, but my reasoning behind not getting them was because the game itself was not worth putting more money into. I think it's also that it was so disappointing seeing other games come out on the Switch and they looked amazing and then seeing what we got for Pokemon.

Back