• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite generation?

Least favorite generation?

• Gen I

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen II

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Gen III

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Gen V

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen VI

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Gen VII

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen VIII

Votes: 18 26.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • there are a lot of threads on favorites/what you like most, so let's discuss the opposite side re: Pokémon generations! which generation would you say is your least favorite? why?

Years
  • Gen 8 by far, which is unfort because I do like a lot of the new Pokemon that came with this generation. My problems with the game are like...
    • Price Point - With the amount of content in SwSh, there's just not much that justifies the $60 USD cost other than it's a brand new Pokemon game (and GF/TPC can get away with overcharging their games since Pokemon is more or less a household name).
    • Lacking in Brand New Content (or just content in general) - The game is very similar to SM ("unexpected" villain pretending to be the good guy, happy-go-lucky rival who literally has the same animations as each other, "villain" team there to cause trouble and be obnoxious, etc.). I found that the game also didn't really have a central plot point or some sort of story? I mean there is one technically but, you don't even get exposed to it until the very end because most of the game was like, "Leon will clean this up just get the badges". Other than the wild area, there isn't much to explore since towns/dungeons are very short (I mean Spikemuth is just a hallway, and Turffield has like no houses and a small amount of NPCs). Dynamax feels like, it's kind of uncreative (compared to mega evolutions and z-moves). Like, the next big gimmick of the game is... regular mons but a lot bigger? Idk doesn't excite as much. Models and some of the sprites are also reused again, and the graphics are kind of outdated as well. It got even more annoying when GF tried to double down and talk about how much work they were going to put into new content, yet it's pretty clear that there's a lot of stuff that's being reused from previous games.
    • Characters - Other than Marnie, the characters are either really bland or just really annoying. Like Hop has this one gimmick and he just runs with it for the entire game, same with Leon and Bede, having not much character depth for the main characters is not a good thing imo. The gym leaders that aren't Raihan and Piers (maybe Opal) don't have much presence outside of their gyms either.
    • Dexxit - I mean, what reason was there to not have the national dex in the game in the first place. If anything, Dexxit is making competitive metas more and more chaotic since you have to adapt to a brand new meta every DLC release.

Imo if anything, SwSh just kind of shows that GF/TPC are resting on their laurels and are hoping just the brand name will carry it and net them success (which did work for SwSh so good for them).

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I've never played Gen 8 so I personally can't say, but I voted Gen 3! I don't dislike this gen by any means—or any gen for that matter!—it's just that Hoenn is the region that least grabbed my interest, plus I never got halfway through any of the games. :( The Pokémon are great, but that's pretty much all I know of Gen 3! Maybe doing a challenge will recapture my interest?

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
  • Gen 6 is my least favorite. The only thing that I liked about X and Y is the new Pokemon. Otherwise, there was pretty much nothing interesting except Lysandre's and Xernas/Yvetal theme.

Hocus_Pokemon

Psychic Master
    Years
  • Gen 5 because there's no remarkable Psychic Pokemon introduced there (at least for me)

Gen 1- The Abra line
    Gen 2- Espeon
    Gen 3- Latios, Medicham, and the Ralts line
    Gen 4- Gallade
    Gen 6- Delphox
    Gen 7- Solgaleo and Lunala
    Gen 8- Galarian Rapidash

Years
  • For me it has to be Generation VII, Alola was just, meh for me personally. I liked how it changed the formula away from gyms and the island format, but the story, ultra beasts and a majority of the new Pokemon just didn't do it for me and in fact, they remain the only Pokemon games I haven't gone and replayed to this day. That's not to say I dislike them, but compared to all the amazing generations we've had, I don't think SM and USUM can compare!

Years
  • i feel like i've enjoyed each generation to some degree (some more than others, of course) but i feel so detached from gen 1 games it's unreal. fr/lg will always be boring games for me to play, and while there's many gen 1 pokemon that i like, going through the region itself is just... bleh for me. i dunno. i think i just have kanto burnout or something.

honorable shoutout goes to gen 5. this is not to say that gen 5 is unenjoyable for me per se, but i felt lukewarm towards the generation as a whole. if i were to count spinoffs in this (and i'm going to), this was the period of time where they were pretty much absolutely no spinoffs for me to enjoy, so it was really just bw/b2w2 or bust and while i enjoyed b2w2's post-game, i felt really lukewarm about bw and felt bored by the end.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2021
    I've played every single game up until GenVIII, some of the new things deserve more credit than it gets but imo I have little to no incentive to get SwSh or the other switch remakes as the fangames out there have offered so much at zero cost in comparison, from most having 100+ hours gameplay to a challenging campaign while remaining engaging.

Years
    • Seen today
    It's Gen 1 for me.

I agree with what @colours said, I just don't enjoy Kanto.

Years
  • About the only thing that Gen 6 had going for it was the anime. X and Y felt unfinished and were never expanded upon, and aside from a small handful of Pokemon, there's no real incentive for me to go back and play the games. And as much as I loved OR/AS, it was a real bummer that they scrapped the Battle Frontier. Gen 3's Battle Frontier is literally my favorite part of any Pokemon game, and they had to do us dirty by giving us nothing more than an in-game scale model of it.

Gen 8 isn't that far behind for me, though. I do like some of the Pokemon additions and I enjoy the new Pokemon League tournament, but once I finished that, I felt no desire to pick the game back up. I've done absolutely none of the post-game, and I can't justify spending $40 on DLC. $10-$15 then maybe, but when I was spending $50 on full games like Gen 4/5, a small post-game add-on of stuff that should've been in the base game already at that price doesn't cut it.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    As much as I say I don't like Kanto (and I don't like Kanto), I still can't get over how awful Johto's lack of story is. At least Gen 1 had a story (although really ehhh, but it's Pokémon so it doesn't really mean much), but Gen 2 was so boring that the only thing to actually say about it is that you can travel to Kanto, battle Red and an overrated Miltank. It also has the most boring trio of starters with designs that barely change from the base form as they evolve and like 4??? memorable Pokémon, which would be ok if most of the dex didn't fall in the literal who tier.

I think a lot of people think it's Gen 6, and from what I've heard it IS really ass, but I haven't played Gen 6 myself, so I can't actually say much.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I guess gen 8.
    One kid
    One stinkin' kid stopped me from getting the 8th badge for a month and I was so mad at him
    Yes I completed the game, but for that month, that one kid made my motivation go away
    His name is
    HOP! CURSE YOU HOP! YOU'RE EVERYWHERE! EVERYWHERE!

But then I mustered up my courage and beat the game and uh...idk

Then the DLC was announced and guess who was dumb enough to buy it day one purchase due to hype.

So now I sadly wait for November. *sigh*

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Gen VI, especially X/Y. X/Y had a lazy story and felt completely rushed/unfinished. I found mega evolution to be stupid & ridiculous. I didn't enjoy Kalos at all. Everything about Kalos felt undeveloped. The only saving grace of Generation VI for me was OR/AS, otherwise I probably would have completely hated this gen, tbh. =/

There aren't any other gens I outright dislike. Sure, seeing Kanto so much and so often is annoying. But, I find all the glitches and brokeness of Generation I fascinating. I've never completed a generation II game, but what they accomplished at the time of their release was amazing for its time.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Generation 8! I saved up for a switch to purchase this title and while I was fascinated with the immense beauty and detail of the Galar region, I was quite underwhelmed overall. The storyline started off strong in my opinion, and there were some fabulous characters (I thoroughly enjoyed Hop, Sonia, Leon, Kabu, Opal, etc), however, I find that the plot fell stagnant mid-way through the game. I think a lack of explorable locations, short and uninteresting routes, pathetic villains, poorly designed starters, and an overall lack of a challenge really did it for me. Never mind the complete absence of a postgame if one decides to not purchase the DLC. Dynamaxing is also gimmicky in the worst way possible. It truly is just a mockery of Mega Evolution.

I don't like to bash the newest region senselessly, though I was a bit disappointed with this generation. I think the bar has been set incredibly low, which in itself is saddening.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've not played DPPt and gen 8. From what I've heard of gen 8 it has a lot of issues, issues that don't make me wanna play SwSh. But because I haven't played them I'm not going to pick them.

Instead I picked gen 7. I played Moon, beat it, completed the Pokedex and then never touched it. I haven't even touched the postgame. I don't know if USUM are better (they probably are) but I also can't be bothered to get and play them either. For what it's worth: gen 7 is incredibly boring, cutscenes are thrown in and the player character's facial expression make them seem like some sort of psychopath at times. The game mechanics haven't really evolved much from gen 6, the 3D models are exactly the same as gen 6 including (read: my main issue about them) the animation cycles. I mean gen 1-5 had spritework that looked very different with every new generation and that gave the graphics a sort of development as they got more detailed and lifely.
    I guess I should give credit to GF trying to slightly switch up the formula? Thing is: I don't think the formula is at fault, but rather that GF has trouble finding new and refreshing ways to implement it. Gen 7 didn't really give that to me.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I said it once before and I'll say it again: Gen 3.

I'm sorry, I just had the least fun playing that one. :( Some great Pokémon designs came from it but the gameplay overall was so.. boring and lackluster for me.

(ノД`)・゜・。

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
  • Gen 8 Wasn't Very Good. The pokemon designs were lackluster, and HALF THE POKEMON ARE GONE, no it gets a dislike from me.

Also my 2nd and 3rd favorite pokemon were cut.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'm not really a fan on most of the Gen. V Pokémon, but since I still enjoyed the games (I generally consider BW my favorite in terms of story), I guess my vote for least favorite Gen. would have to go to Gen. VIII; it's my next least favorite Gen. in terms of Pokémon design, but I didn't love the story (Crown Tundra might change my mind, though). The price is also an issue. The Expansion Pass doesn't bug me since we're essentially buying a "third version" for half the price, but what does bug me is having to pay for a subscription if we want to battle/trade online and two subscriptions to migrate Pokémon from older games.

Another thing I don't like about Gen. VIII: I prefer hunting Shinies at full-odds, often while training something else, so it annoys how defeating Pokémon this Gen. boosts the chance of finding that species as a Shiny.

Last edited:
    Back