• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendary forms

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    So this is something that just came to me as my friend and I were talking about the Kanto legendaries getting a new form.

If there is technically only ONE of each legendary in the Pokemon world how can there be a region difference? That would mean that legendaries aren't truly "one of a kind."

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't recall there ever being a statement that all legendaries are one of a kind. Sure, there are some of them where it does make a lot of sense to be only one. Something like Mewtwo, Rayquaza, etc.

But if we're talking lesser legendaries (e.g. the birds from gen 1) I can definitely see there being more than one. Afaik even in terms of Mythicals there seem to be some who are not one of a kind (e.g. Manaphy, Celebi).

In that regard I can see regional differences as quite possible within legendaries.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Entei's Pokédex entries in several games say that "one is born every time a new volcano appears", suggesting that there is more than one Entei in the world. And if there is more than one Entei in the world, its likely the same could be true for other lesser legendaries, especially Raikou and Suicune.

Years
    This seems like it can fit in SwSh since it involves the legendary birds' Galarian forms, but also appears to be more of a general question so I'll leave it here!

And yeah... even the anime seems to be moving away from the 'one of a kind' thing for legendaries. I wouldn't be surprised if these were just other ones and that continued being the case.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    I think some legendary's are one off's e.g Mewtwo however some others there are multiples but just really rare.

Are we sure at this point the DLC birds are different forms?

Years
    there being more than one legendary pokemon (with some exceptions for lore reasons, i think) is definitely common place. there's definitely more than one mew, for example. definitely more than one of the regi golems for sure (there's like multiple of them lmao). for some pokemon iirc there are just one of them like kyogre, groudon and rayquaza, i believe. i think it just depends on the legendary in particular but i'd think there would be multiple of most of them.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    Some Legendary Pokémon are canonically "many" in a countable sense, such as the Latii and Shaymin. Others are a "countable few" in that we can for the most part name their number and identify their specimens: for example, in the anime continuity there do exist at least three different Lugias, two different Gerbil Trios, two different Regigigas and two different Mewtwos. And then there are some both confirmed and unconfirmed cases of singular countables: the Lake and Creation trios are the most likely example.

However, nothing in the mainline games canon at least suggest that that countability condition itself can not be changed, and in fact it kinda did already when ORAS introduced a multiverse, which instantly makes many "singular" Legendaries not singular anymore (Rayquaza and Deoxys are a most likely example).

This tends to extend both to the games(s, with PMD) and anime(s).

Back