• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Legends: Arceus General Discussion Thread

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
    Do you guys think this game will connect with the rest of the main series?

I'm hoping for either new forms of existing Pokemon to show how they've changed since the beginning of the region or new species that are ancestors of current Pokemon, but i have no idea how that would work. I'm also wondering if there will be any connectivity for Legends at all or if, since it's not a two version or third version game, it'll possibly be a total standalone. I can't see how they could not have every Pokemon in game available somehow, so I'm not sure if connectivity is fully necessary.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I am hoping that the ending will have the character see a pokemon (maybe mythical) that shows up in a future game.

I am hoping for open world shinies...

I am confused about CEO office in the background of the "Choose your starter" scene.. I thought this was based in the past.

I fear that we wont get any new forms or new pokemon.

pkmin3033

An actual prequel to DPPt would be nice, although I get the feeling this will be a standalone title, or that perhaps there will be something ambiguous in BDSP that will set this game up. Like Cyrus disappearing and showing up in this game or something. Which would make sense in BD but less so in SP, because moving through Space is not moving through Time...although if this is set in an alternate reality and they keep it sufficiently ambiguous, I suppose it could work either way.

Given the Dexit kerfuffle and the fact that TPC and Masuda both gave very public responses to it - which is unprecedented - I fully expect this to have the National Dex. The very focus of this game is on building the first Pokedex, so you would expect to be able to do it, and even in this early stage with barely any information available it feels like this is a direct response to that. Maybe that's just being optimistic, but they could have picked literally anything else as the reason for a prequel, and they focused ont he Pokedex specifically. So yeah.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    for one, they need a unified style. the over world is realistic, while pokemon 3D models are cartoony, with that "plastic" feel.
    I heard the game won't have trainer battles. and wild pokemon attack you and you can die. so, this is literally BOW but with pokemon. according to the website, you can still send out pokemon & choose one out of 4 moves, so there are still core pokemon elements. but there's no competitive battling, only 1vs1 battles with wild pokemon, which are optional- you can just throw a ball instead. will have to know more before I decide, doesn't seem to be a game for me.

pkmin3033

Speaking of the setting, on a related note - there's an interesting video from Lockstin which suggests this isn't feudal Sinnoh as a lot of people seem to think, and that it might not be that long ago after all...which would make sense in context given what we've seen of the past in the franchise before (although mostly in the anime, i.e. Oak's Pokeball in the fourth movie, Sinnoh in the 12th movie, etc.) but honestly I hope that isn't the case, because I find ancient history and mythology to be more interesting than more modern history...and tbh "Legends" doesn't really sound like the title for something you'd give that's set in the Industrial Revolution. There's more creative license the further back in time you go and, whilst the real-world inspirations present in Pokemon are always interesting to see and often clever in their execution, as someone who plays video games to escape reality, they don't have the same appeal as complete fantasy.

Yeah, the Poké Ball difference compared to Oak's in the fourth movie threw me off since that was maybe only 40 years in the past. The ones in Legends look a lot more modern/different. Agree with you that ancient history is especially interesting, and having a Pokémon game actually be set in it would be cool/very different to the norm. I think I'll still enjoy it a lot regardless, but knowing I'm possibly playing a game set hundreds of years in the past makes me feel more immersed than a more modern age which I'm already living in/experiencing. I'll watch this video tonight!

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 11, 2021
    I am hoping that the ending will have the character see a pokemon (maybe mythical) that shows up in a future game.

I am hoping for open world shinies...

I am confused about CEO office in the background of the "Choose your starter" scene.. I thought this was based in the past.

I fear that we wont get any new forms or new pokemon.

Legends seems to take inspiration from the Meiji Era of Japan and Feudal Japan. Where the Meiji Era was during the industrialization period of Japan and the more ancient and medieval inspiration was from the Feudal Era. That's why you see the CEO office in the starter scene, because it's a mix of both. This is my theory.

Legends seems to take inspiration from the Meiji Era of Japan and Feudal Japan. Where the Meiji Era was during the industrialization period of Japan and the more ancient and medieval inspiration was from the Feudal Era. That's why you see the CEO office in the starter scene, because it's a mix of both. This is my theory.

I assume you watched Lockstin's video? He mentioned a lot of that there. I watched last night and it's pretty believable honestly, thinking it over now I actually think it's pretty cool! The place where you choose your starter definitely doesn't give off feudal Japan vibes with its wooden desks and carpets haha. Though it's also Pokémon and not an exact replica of cultures and our progress irl. still!

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 11, 2021
    I assume you watched Lockstin's video? He mentioned a lot of that there. I watched last night and it's pretty believable honestly, thinking it over now I actually think it's pretty cool! The place where you choose your starter definitely doesn't give off feudal Japan vibes with its wooden desks and carpets haha. Though it's also Pokémon and not an exact replica of cultures and our progress irl. still!

Yes! I was also studying the Meiji Era recently in my AP History Class, so I noticed some of the stuff!

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I hope this game is as open world as it looks. It looks like it's going to be as open as Zelda BOTW.

pkmin3033

Honestly I would rather have a world more restricted and content rich like Horizon Zero Dawn than one that lets you go anywhere but is utterly empty like BOTW's. My biggest concern is that they'll make a huge open world that lets you do things like climb everywhere but not bother to give it any actual content. Not a fan of sandboxes.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
    I really hope they have some sort of story, even if minor, with Spiritomb in this game! It'd be just perfect. Maybe we could even see one getting sealed in the keystone - granted, some Pokedex entries say that it was sealed "500 years ago" (too recent for Feudal Japan and too late for Meiji period), but Pokemon always plays fast and loose with lore, and who's to say that entry doesn't just apply to the particular Spiritomb you caught in D/P/Pt/Or/As, where it's a fixed encounter, anyway?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    This looks like an AMAZING fresh reboot on a familiar franchise. The fact that it takes place a "long, long time ago" when "Sinnoh was still a vast wilderness" implies that there will be no gym progression and most likely no evil organization that the hero must stop. It looks like battling is still a core element of the game, but that players now have options for how they want to catch Pokemon. Choice is good. Choice creates replayability. It looks like they are infusing more traditional RPG elements, such as open-world exploration and a "sneak" mechanic to sneak up on Pokemon. It seems the storyline revolves more around mythical Pokemon and the world itself, instead of the hero's journey.

All signs point to a great game. It's on Game Freak to flesh out the open world and story enough to make it so.

This looks like an AMAZING fresh reboot on a familiar franchise. The fact that it takes place a "long, long time ago" when "Sinnoh was still a vast wilderness" implies that there will be no gym progression and most likely no evil organization that the hero must stop. It looks like battling is still a core element of the game, but that players now have options for how they want to catch Pokemon. Choice is good. Choice creates replayability. It looks like they are infusing more traditional RPG elements, such as open-world exploration and a "sneak" mechanic to sneak up on Pokemon. It seems the storyline revolves more around mythical Pokemon and the world itself, instead of the hero's journey.

All signs point to a great game. It's on Game Freak to flesh out the open world and story enough to make it so.

I definitely think it has potential to be really good. Am honestly hoping there's no evil team or too much of what's present in the classic games, since I'd rather focus more on exploration. Am also excited to see the box art!!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I definitely think it has potential to be really good. Am honestly hoping there's no evil team or too much of what's present in the classic games, since I'd rather focus more on exploration. Am also excited to see the box art!!

yeah the potential is definitely there but I'm still hesitant to get my hopes up until I really see something.

also, I'm getting a flareon vpp because of you!
    after you dropped that image in my thread, I couldn't help myself. lol I hope you're satisfied.

pkmin3033

Something just occurred to me that I thought I'd bring up here!

Looking at the trailer, a lot of Pokemon not native to Sinnoh have shown up, despite the games being set in Sinnoh. I wonder if that means the Pokedex in BDSP will change to reflect this and we'll be able to catch Pokemon from Gen V onwards in the postgame, or if - and this is even more unlikely - there will be story-based reasons why these Pokemon aren't native to Sinnoh anymore? It'd be kinda weird to have games technically set after this game that have more Pokemon in them, haha.

Years
    it seems like there's the team galactic G on our suits and we look like the original characters in pokemon diamond and pearl. it would be cool if the professor looked like Cyrus and I mean, it's not improbable lol

Back