• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linux

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    What do you guys think about Linux OS? Have you ever gotten the chance to try it? If so, which distro was it? Additionally, what are some of your favorite distros? As for me, yes, I definitely have. I've tried about four to five distros, with Cent OS being the most recent. My most favorite, though, would have to be Elementary. Personally never got to install it (it'd always give me a black screen whenever I tried), but I did see some videos of it, and to me, it looked pretty amazing. :]

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Actually taking a UNIX/LINUX class as of now...but right now, I'm adjusted to Ubuntu. In fact, my laptop is actually a dual boot with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

I'm considering trying out Red Hat...but then again, Linux is fairly diverse in its ways...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I've tried Ubuntu, Jolicloud, and Zorin OS. Jolicloud is based on Ubuntu and it's mostly a cloud OS. Zorin gives you a Windows 7-like appearance without the flaws Windows 7 had. I've been a Linux user for the past three years and I never stopped. The only disadvantage is some programs (even with the use of WINE) couldn't be used, so it would be best if I dual-booted. Can't do so on this computer though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One distribution I've always wanted to try is Arch Linux. It's very open, so you could customize it as much as you feel like and make it look any way you wish. Sadly, though, I've never managed to get through installation part, as it was too confusing for me. :(

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    I've been using Linux for about a decade already, if not a bit longer. Currently sticking with Debian for my main OS, but I have a couple of Fedoras (no, not the hats, but those are cool too) and minor distros set in virtual machines just in case.

@Nymphadora: sorry to hear Elementary install didn't work for you, if there was a way for me to help I would, it's a pretty good distro.

Arch Linux is not really a distribution that one can be comfortable for too long, though. The high degree of customisation is counterbalanced by their "rolling features" policy that either forces you to be constantly upgrading (without feature rollbacks) or breaks your system if you spend too long without an upgrade.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I like Linux, but I don't like to use it as my primary system. My desktop/media server runs on Linux Mint 16 Petra and I love it. It used to run PCLinuxOS but if you don't keep that updated you get in trouble down the line, which is what I ran into. I've run Ubuntu as well, but I found Linux Mint to actually be more stable.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I've always seen Linux/UNIX operating systems as the final arbiters of server management, but as for use on consumer electronics, they don't match up to Windows.

I've tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu, but I use CentOS on my server, which runs like a charm. <3

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    I've played around with a hand full of Linux distributions in the past. While they are a nice alternative in multiple ways, I still prefer Windows by a long shot (me going almost entirely PC for gaming doesn't help either.)

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    My parents use it, but I use Windows because my favorite creative programs like Unity 3D and FL Studio don't work on it. Also most Steam games don't work on Linux yet.

PoliSlix

Poliwag Fanatic
    Years
    I've used Ubuntu for quite a while on an older computer I have, I've played around with Puppy Linux a bit, and I've recently had a chance to try out CentOS too. I also recently got a Raspberry Pi, so Raspbian is another I can add to my list of stuff I've used.

I like many of the Linux distributions, they're open and easy to use for the most part too, but at heart I'm a Mac guy. ;)

Years
    Of course I've used Linux distros in the past. The first one I was exposed to was Ubuntu, and I enjoyed using it through version 12 or so.. haven't kept up with it since :p but other distros I've used include CentOS, Zorin OS, Linux Mint, Damn Small Linux, and Elementary OS.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I have a Ubuntu Linux virtual machine set up on my laptop, as pretty much everything that isn't Windows doesn't run too well natively. Right now, if I recall correctly, I'm on version 13.x.

Last edited:

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I like Linux, but I don't use it much as an OS. My favourite distributions are Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, and Debian.. My main OS is Mac OS X (hackintosh) but whenever I screw that up I always go to Linux until I can be bothered to fix it. I hate Windows, only use it for gaming.

One distribution I've always wanted to try is Arch Linux. It's very open, so you could customize it as much as you feel like and make it look any way you wish. Sadly, though, I've never managed to get through installation part, as it was too confusing for me. :(
    PM me if you want help with this. Arch is a great distro :)

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I used to use Linux all the time back around when I was on high school. It was on my mother's desktop though, and it was pretty fast! Although, I think it was a really old version of Linux since it didn't allow me to do much stuff than it should of, but, yeah, it wasn't too bad for me! Nowadays I use Windows on my Laptop, and, I'm not sure if I'm up to trying it again, but, we'll see.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2014
    Used to dual boot windows and Ubuntu..booted to Ubuntu when I needed to look someone up quickly

ThorhianTheUltimate

No, im not Thorzain
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Full time Arch Linux user here. I recently last year started using it, and really if you do a decent amount of research and get comfortable with the terminal, you can handle anything on here. If you read the main page before doing any major upgrades (such as the kernal or other important critical systems) then upgrades are generally smooth and easy. Pacman (the package manager) is pretty slick too. the AUR also makes things pretty easy when you want to find almost any somewhat popular Linux application too.

Don't use it for servers though, rolling release like this just isnt meant for that (ive met people who have tried, just dont do it).

stell

a proiectura
    Years
    my old boss at my book store job always said, "windows is going to last forever, and not because it's any good or anything -- windows is crap -- but because it's compatible with everything."

and that's kind of the maxim that's kept up this whole time. don't get me wrong, i adore linux distributions. they're beautiful and so, so customisable, and perfectly fine if you're just using your computer for general tasks on the internet. but as a main computer replacement OS, it's hard to completely switch over. i really wish it continues to improve to a point of ultimate usability, though. remember in 2006? it was, like, impossible to get even wifi working on ubuntu.

i've used ubuntu (and kubuntu and xubuntu, bla bla bla), plus linux mint, fedora, elementary, debian, openSUSE...fedora is my top fav, though. elementary is beautiful but breaks easily.

Back