• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Live-Action Pokémon series in development for Netflix

Live-Action Pokémon series in development for Netflix

Live-Action Pokémon series in development for Netflix

It follows an increase of animated Pokémon content on Netflix.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
This isn't going to end well. Because 1... it's Netflix (looking at you live-action Death Note. THANK GOD I DIDN'T WATCH THAT) and 2... Live Action never works. Period. End of story.

Detective Pikachu was the exception and now they aren't even going to make a sequel to that.

I look forward to avoiding this like the plague but also I look forward to the memes about how god damn awful it is/will be

Years
I liked Detective Pikachu and can get behind a series done similarly, but it's still a little interesting to me how people keep making live action things when I never see anyone who wants it haha. The movie did decently in the box office though so I guess there will be enough of a market for it anyway. Curious on the details, hopefully we'll get them sometime soon. :O

Years
This isn't going to end well. Because 1... it's Netflix (looking at you live-action Death Note. THANK GOD I DIDN'T WATCH THAT) and 2... Live Action never works. Period. End of story.

Detective Pikachu was the exception and now they aren't even going to make a sequel to that.

I look forward to avoiding this like the plague but also I look forward to the memes about how god damn awful it is/will be

1. That's a hot take for something we don't know a thing about.
2. We especially don't know what they're adapting — the games? The anime? Something else? Death Note — notably a story fans hold a fairly strict idea of its events and settings to — met the ire of fans for putting an American spin on it, but Pokémon is localised so much that the only thing they could screw up is the story. And Pokémon has plenty of different stories (and canons) to tell.
3. Netflix also adapted The Witcher (which I do get is book-first) and Castlevania (which admittedly isn't live action, but) which have done very well.
4. You're clearly not the audience.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024

Netflix has made a lot of great, good and perfectly fine live action shows. Can't say I'm super hyped at this news either but you're jumping to a lot of unnecessarily negative conclusions here bud

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
(I don't feel like quoting the post I'm tired)

I mean, I'll like anything with Pokemon, with some rare exceptions. (The cg in the Mewtwo remake was p bad, for example), and tbh "Netflix and Live action just doesn't work!" That's not true at all, in the slightest. There was a Live action Bleach movie which was put on Netflix and that one was pretty good. Also, the Death note movie was bad because it took a Japanese product and Americanized it to hell, Pokemon has many regions in many different cultures. Literally, this live action Pokemon could literally be anything. It could be an live action adaption of the anime, a live action adaptions of the main series games, a spin of its own, it's way too early to say it'll fail when it doesn't even have a trailer yet, don't you think? :|

Besides, it's Pokemon, I'm sure that Netflix will at least do their research.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I'm not looking forward to this. Pokemon and live action don't mix for me. The fact that Netflix is going to make it is insignificant to me.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
I'm most likely am not going to watch this namely because I tend not to watch Netflix but I've enjoyed Detective Pikachu so I'm quite curious to see how it goes.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Well, I liked Detective Pikachu, but I was more looking forward to a sequel or something set in the same universe than just something in the same visual style - since we don't know any details yet, is it possible that this is going to be a shared-universe thing? Tbh, even if it doesn't seem like it from the beginning, I'm gonna be watching out for any references or even cameos to hit us midway through. 👀

"[...]the executive producer of Lucifer"
That's...interesting??

Years
I'm open-minded enough to at least quietly let it play out. I don't have Netflix, but I enjoyed Detective Pikachu, so maybe this will be good and I can somehow watch it.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
I mean, I can understand where Mega Champion is coming from. When Netflix does good, like The Witcher, it's pretty darn good. But it's also like when they do bad, like Death Note, it's crazy how bad it is. Didn't they do the live Fullmetal as well? And that didn't do so good. And even though their Castlevania is a-ma-zing, you can't really count it due to it being animated.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023

LOL. I tried watching that live action Death Note they made. I think I was less than 10 minutes in when I had to shut it off. Truly bad and cringe worthy.

My feelings on this is that a lot of Netflix original shows and movies just aren't good. In the beginning when this idea was new for Netflix they did start on a good foot, but now there are more mediocre to bad original Netflix programming than good ones. Secondly, games and animated shows made into live action are notorious for being horrible. I will admit there are VERY FEW exceptions to this, but the ratio gives me little hope. So honestly I think this is going to be terrible, but I will still check it out to get my fill of laughs and cringe and I will hope for everyone's sake that I am wrong.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I mean, I can understand where Mega Champion is coming from. When Netflix does good, like The Witcher, it's pretty darn good. But it's also like when they do bad, like Death Note, it's crazy how bad it is. Didn't they do the live Fullmetal as well? And that didn't do so good. And even though their Castlevania is a-ma-zing, you can't really count it due to it being animated.

Yes, I do think Netflix did the FMA live action series. Japanese Netflix, anyway, not American Netflix.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
LOL. I tried watching that live action Death Note they made. I think I was less than 10 minutes in when I had to shut it off. Truly bad and cringe worthy.
I watched the whole thing mainly because I thought Willem Dafoe was killing it and absolutely carried the whole movie. But, yeah, I can talk all day about how bad I think the live Pokemon is gonna be, but just like a few people have already said, I'm still gonna watch it.

Prelawpikachu

Item # 173, "The Sculpture"
Years
(I don't feel like quoting the post I'm tired)

I mean, I'll like anything with Pokemon, with some rare exceptions. (The cg in the Mewtwo remake was p bad, for example), and tbh "Netflix and Live action just doesn't work!" That's not true at all, in the slightest. There was a Live action Bleach movie which was put on Netflix and that one was pretty good. Also, the Death note movie was bad because it took a Japanese product and Americanized it to hell, Pokemon has many regions in many different cultures. Literally, this live action Pokemon could literally be anything. It could be an live action adaption of the anime, a live action adaptions of the main series games, a spin of its own, it's way too early to say it'll fail when it doesn't even have a trailer yet, don't you think? :|

Besides, it's Pokemon, I'm sure that Netflix will at least do their research.
The only good GGI in the Mewtwo remake was, well, mewtwo.

Back