• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MAFIA IRL

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • Do any of you guys play Mafia IRL, where roles are determined by cards or just randomly chosen by the GM? What are your thoughts on playing Mafia in real life, in how it differs to online mafia?

I was at a camp recently and there was a group of 10-20 of us who loved playing mafia so we played it a lot during the nights. I GMd a game and struggled so hard to keep track of who was who, which got awkward because after the Cop pointed out who they wanted to do a check on, I had to get the Mafia to 'awaken' again so I could remember who they were lol. Apart from that was pretty fun!

I do like playing mafia IRL, it's really cool to see people's reactions in-person and in real time. Of course you do lose a lot of the complexity an online game can offer but it's a good kind of different.

How do you guys feel?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I had played this different kind of game but I still count it as mafia since similar playstyle and all haha. Twas fun imo, but I'd still prefer forum mafia over real life mafia anyday

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • You really think I have friends IRL?!

Well ones who would grasp the concept at least

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • I recently played a "board game" called One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which has a similar style but there is role switching possibilities, which makes for a crazy game.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I used to play The Resistance a lot with my friends, which was a blast. Gotta admit, it can be a lot easier to trick people irl games if you're mafia-- as long as you aren't one of those people who gets overexcited to the point where it shows.

I've actually been thinking about inviting them to play again ever since I started playing Mafia here.

Killua

I played town of salem with my friends sometimes at the same room. It was cool.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I have! It's definitely more innacurate/basic than forum games, but it's usually just a fun excuse to make stories of your friends getting killed. We really only play with three roles (citizen, mafioso, and doc but with different names). It's pretty fun, I'd love to introduce them to a more sophisticated set-up :why:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I played town of salem with my friends sometimes at the same room. It was cool.

:D If you still play, send me your username!!

I did play a game called the Werewolf. It's with werewolf instead of mafia, but it's really the same game, but with different roles and specialties.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    i haven't but it sounds fun :( how does mafia communicate btw

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I was actually introduced to mafia by some kids at school... When someone said there were mafia games on PC though I was pretty confused originally. Took me a while to realise they were variations on the same thing!

Salzorrah

Years
  • im pretty sure what it's done is that every night phase, people would close their eyes and the mafia opens their eyes and point at whoever they would kill

then after a few seconds everyone opens their eyes and gm like points to who is dead or something? idek

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    /me finally bursts in

I HAVE! Sooooo much. I LOVE mafia IRL; around the campfire in the night or just in a group anywhere. Brilliant for amusing kids for hours, not kidding.

im pretty sure what it's done is that every night phase, people would close their eyes and the mafia opens their eyes and point at whoever they would kill

then after a few seconds everyone opens their eyes and gm like points to who is dead or something? idek
    Nonono. The fun part of being a GM there is the storytelling!

First, the group decides on what roles to use in the game. Then, everybody closes their eyes and the roles are distributed by the GM in one way or another. Differs. Then, the first night begins and the GM tells a story. It's just like how you guys make different styles in mafia games, different fun names and settings.

GM wakes each role up in turn by saying "mafia wakes up" etc. Without talking, mafia (and any other multiple roles) need to communicate and decide which person to murder/take action on. It's very important the GM doesn't let slip what genders the roles are now haha. Here, you can imagine hearing things if you are "asleep", as the mafia and sheriff and doctor etc need to point on the one they want to take action on. Clothes make noises (8

After all is done, the GM wakes the town up and tells a story about how somebody was murdered. Just like how you make your murder posts c: Then, the debate starts. Every day, somebody must be hanged. Here, you can directly look each other in the eyes, lie, be honest, hide, be open about your role or any strategy you'd like. Personally, I'm great at lying when people look at me hehe. Basically this is the main game.

When candidates have been brought up, a voting is held by the GM, just like here I guess? And you can keep trying to convince each other until the GM says no. Then lynch, then next night. And so on and so forth. I guess the rest is just the same as you do it here. Being a GM for a game with kids is loads of fun haha.

Then there are of course variants of these rules, such as the mafia not waking up at the same time and as such don't know who each other are, or forcing people to discuss and lynch someone before a murder has even happened (which in my opinion is absurd rules haha).

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I've only played irl once with some friends at a summer program. It was a pretty basic concept but it was still fun.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I have! It's definitely more innacurate/basic than forum games, but it's usually just a fun excuse to make stories of your friends getting killed. We really only play with three roles (citizen, mafioso, and doc but with different names). It's pretty fun, I'd love to introduce them to a more sophisticated set-up :why:

Ah we play with cops and lovers too! Would love to chuck in more roles but couldn't work out how to introduce them in an uncomplicated way >__<

The fun part of being a GM there is the storytelling!

Yessss 100%. Making up the location, the story behind the murder, watching everyone follow the story, watching someone's face when they realise they've been killed at night... classic hahaha.

GM wakes each role up in turn by saying "mafia wakes up" etc. Without talking, mafia (and any other multiple roles) need to communicate and decide which person to murder/take action on. It's very important the GM doesn't let slip what genders the roles are now haha. Here, you can imagine hearing things if you are "asleep", as the mafia and sheriff and doctor etc need to point on the one they want to take action on. Clothes make noises (8

It's so much fun watching mafia try and silently decide who to kill! When they just decide quickly it's dull from a GM perspective - so much funnier when they want to kill different people and they're arguing with their facial expressions and eyes without making too much movement :P

Hahaha yeah clothes are a bit of a giveaway so in my group when we played, we didn't mention hearing noises at night but had to bring up other reasons for wanting to nominate someone to be killed.

Personally, I'm great at lying when people look at me hehe.

Yessss it's so good when people are good at lying :P

It really annoys me when there are a bunch of people who are just there and don't do anything though lol, they just vote and don't talk zzz @___@ They always end up getting killed but it's so much more interesting when there's heaps of random discussion taking place. People get really into it lol.

Salzorrah

Years
  • /me finally bursts in

I HAVE! Sooooo much. I LOVE mafia IRL; around the campfire in the night or just in a group anywhere. Brilliant for amusing kids for hours, not kidding.

Nonono. The fun part of being a GM there is the storytelling!

First, the group decides on what roles to use in the game. Then, everybody closes their eyes and the roles are distributed by the GM in one way or another. Differs. Then, the first night begins and the GM tells a story. It's just like how you guys make different styles in mafia games, different fun names and settings.

After all is done, the GM wakes the town up and tells a story about how somebody was murdered. Just like how you make your murder posts c: Then, the debate starts. Every day, somebody must be hanged. Here, you can directly look each other in the eyes, lie, be honest, hide, be open about your role or any strategy you'd like. Personally, I'm great at lying when people look at me hehe. Basically this is the main game.

When candidates have been brought up, a voting is held by the GM, just like here I guess? And you can keep trying to convince each other until the GM says no. Then lynch, then next night. And so on and so forth. I guess the rest is just the same as you do it here. Being a GM for a game with kids is loads of fun haha.

Then there are of course variants of these rules, such as the mafia not waking up at the same time and as such don't know who each other are, or forcing people to discuss and lynch someone before a murder has even happened (which in my opinion is absurd rules haha).

i dont have any rl friends to play mafia with me so i dont know the feeling... but hey, it's pretty much the same what we do here.

join midnight crew mafia rika ;)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Rika why haven't you played mafia here I'm ashamed.

Sadly I have no one irl to play mafia with :(

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Yes, I do that a lot. What's more fun to do on birthday parties than killing your friends? :3

Real life Mafia is quite different from forum Mafia. As someone who's terrible at lying, I find forum Mafia a lot easier and it enables some additional cool roles that are impossible for irl games as well. It's not a real problem though, since I mostly end up as GM anyway. The others are all afraid they lose track of things or just plainly lazy.

Years
  • I also play mafia irl every now and again. Usually not with my friends, when I meet with my friends, we play card games or board games. But when I'm at conventions where everyone stays at the same location for the night or we're doing a trip with the choir or at a weekend workshop, mostly anything where you have a bunch of different people who want to have some fun, for the 1 to 4 evenings they're together, mafia's a great game: Most folks know it, it's easy to explain, fast to set-up, pretty flexible in size, anyone can join or leave between rounds, ... just the right game when you want to keep it simple and fun.

I remember mostly small groups, where it doesn't really make sense to have anything other then town, mafia, cop, doc. When we had more roles one time and I was GM, in the first night I got soooo confused, I somehow had to wake up the mafia thrice, because I kept forgetting who was who -.-

I know we also often used the lovers and I remember we added a suicide bomber when playing bigger rounds (when he gets lynched he may immidiatly decide to kill another player too). And usually the doc also got a one time use poison ability in larger rounds, stuff to make the game go faster. Usually when you got people from different places, coming up with new roles is really fast, cause everyone has his favourite special role from their "home group".

Last edited:
    Back