• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    NOTE: Guys, remember to wrap your maps with SPOILER tags if your map's size exceeds 400x400 pixels. It's in the first post's rules. Don't forget that.
    And no, I am not mini-modding. Just reminding~~~

Now, its my turn to post a map.
    There are connections to the West and the North (So the border block doesn't screw up)

Name: Sol Town
    Spoiler:

RATING: 9/10
    REASON: What a very wonderful map! Mountain tiles annoy me a bit though, but meh...
    SUGGESTION: none...

And I thought I'd post a map as well:

ROM Base - Ruby
    Name - There isn't one.
    Credits - Nintendo (Grass Path and ROM), Reck (Other tiles), myself (inserting. Thanks me!)
    Comments: The paths are kinda cruddy, as I did that nintendo like for some reason. Also noticed, I may have put the lakey thing a bit too square...
    Map:
    Spoiler:

RATING: 7/10
    REASON: I think it's a nice map, but no flowers? Also, the tall grasses in your map losses their 'tall' attribute... Map is a bit empty...
    SUGGESTION: Add flowers? Even if it's a GSC remake, it's still an advance gen map.

Long time ago since I ever was here on this forum but im just putting on a map to see if my mapping is still ok.

Credits to : Kyledove, Peyi, Punk Rocker for rombase
    Spoiler:

RATING: 8/10
    REASON: Very nice map there. I like the beach.
    SUGGESTION: none...

edit...
    I haven't posted a map to be rated for a while so...

MAP NAME: Dusk Cave
    GAME BASE: PKMN Ruby U.S. Version
    MAP DESCRIPTION: This is the cave entrance towards Lost Shadow. I haven't mapped a cave for quite a while now so...
    MAP SHOT:
    Spoiler:

MAP NAME: Dusk Path
    MAP DESCRIPTION: This is, one of those annoying paths in the game. The blank brown area part of the map is... a secret... xD
    MAP CREDITS: WAH, and Alistair...
    MAP SHOT:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Map Name: Project Icarus

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I tile inserted this for a new project I have, and so I'm calling it Project Icarus. The borders are messed up because you are supposed to be able to see this place from other maps ;P Enjoy!

Spoiler:

Sorry about the brightness, i can never seem to get rid of it :P

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I got bored, so I decided to do some rating :D Take note, I am very harsh.

Name: Sol Town
    Spoiler:

Credits:
    MasterOfPuppets (rombase)
    Synyster_Lily (or Zeikku)
    Snowwy (for inspiring me)

Ugh, sorry but I have a total hatred of the natural mapping style. It just makes me cringe whenever I look at a map like this. I reckon, if you did this map in nintendo style, but with the same shape etc. It would actually look fantastic. No matter how bad the actual mountain tile is, the way you've placed them is really nice. That is probably the highlight of your map, iin my opinion of course. Subsequently, your paths are done very well; I'm sure there are no flaws in them. Well, the water; I'm sorry to say but your water placement is awful. It's a straight diagonal line, you really should mix it up a little. Also, your water is way too empty, you need to place some rocks in it, and maybe add a darker patch of water too. Onto the trees, I'm sorry but your tree placement is appalling in my opinion. Mostly because I hate natural mapping. I don't know what to say, probably as I said before if you placed them in nintendo style they would look a lot better. Either way, time for your rating. 6/10

And I thought I'd post a map as well:

ROM Base - Ruby
    Name - There isn't one.
    Credits - Nintendo (Grass Path and ROM), Reck (Other tiles), myself (inserting. Thanks me!)
    Comments: The paths are kinda cruddy, as I did that nintendo like for some reason. Also noticed, I may have put the lakey thing a bit too square...
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Your map isn't that bad, but what seems to be popping out to me is that you aren't giving the player much space to move about. I see what you're trying to do with this map, but you probably would get a lot more out of making this map much much larger. Both in height and width dimensions, this would give you a lot more freedom and give you the opportunity to test your skills on a higher level. You're water placement seems to be really weird, it shoots from being rather spacious to one tile wide in places. Once again, you'll benefit from using larger dimensions in this situation. Still, this map is quite pretty but can surely be improved by a long shot. 5/10

Long time ago since I ever was here on this forum but im just putting on a map to see if my mapping is still ok.

Credits to : Kyledove, Peyi, Punk Rocker for rombase
    Spoiler:

I kind of see what you're trying to do with this map, but seriously you've done a poor job at it. This map is way too square, the tree placement is terribly done. In most spots throughout the trees, you're only giving the player one or so places to move about. You want to aspire for playable maps, not beautiful ones. The mountains, are actually quite nice and not at all rubbish. But, they're still leaving border errors, and some that the player can see when they walk along a bit. Your flower placement seems completely random and poorly done. Ugh, seriously what is up with your grass placement? Three quarters of the vegetation tiles are grass? This is a serious overload. 3/10

NOTE: Guys, remember to wrap your maps with SPOILER tags if your map's size exceeds 400x400 pixels. It's in the first post's rules. Don't forget that.
    And no, I am not mini-modding. Just reminding~~~

Yeah this, I really don't want to edit every couple of posts. If you guys don't stop, then I'll start deleting your posts D:< Can I also remind people, this is the MAP RATING/REVIEW thread, not the Tile/Palettes thread. Please don't rate based on them.

edit...
    I haven't posted a map to be rated for a while so...

MAP NAME: Dusk Cave
    MAP DESCRIPTION: This is the cave entrance towards Lost Shadow. I haven't mapped a cave for quite a while now so...
    MAP SHOT:
    Spoiler:
    Um.. Seriously? This map is amazing. Cave maps, of high quality are hard to come by. I think this one is flawless, well, not entirely. It could be bigger, more spacious and have more complicated puzzles but nothing is perfect. 9/10

MAP NAME: Dusk Path
    MAP DESCRIPTION: This is, one of those annoying paths in the game. The blank brown area part of the map is... a secret... xD
    MAP CREDITS: WAH, and Alistair...
    MAP SHOT:
    Spoiler:

Well, I'm very sorry to say it but this map is the complete opposite to your cave map. It's extremely poor. From the badly placed grass to the fact you're hardly giving the player space to move about in certain parts. Also, your mountain placement is poor, they are just straight lines repeated, over and over again. Maybe actually shape and mould them a little. sasquatchd00d shows a perfect example of how to implement fantastic mountains, in a map like this. If I was you, I'd take a look at some of his maps. 5/10

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Can I also remind people, this is the MAP RATING/REVIEW thread, not the Tile/Palettes thread. Please don't rate based on them.

Well, a map needs to have both tiles and pallete to make it a 'map', so both are included in rating.
    That's just on my side...

From the badly placed grass to the fact you're hardly giving the player space to move about in certain parts.

That cave was a bit easy for me to do though... I don't think it's amazing. :\
    But the route, ouch... :P
    I tend to do a Nintendo-styled grass placement. I know it's bad but meh... xD
    Also, there's more space for the PLAYER to move than what you thought, though... :)
    2jayuso.png

Anyways, thanks for the rating.

Map Name: Project Icarus

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I tile inserted this for a new project I have, and so I'm calling it Project Icarus. The borders are messed up because you are supposed to be able to see this place from other maps ;P Enjoy!

Spoiler:

Sorry about the brightness, i can never seem to get rid of it :P

RATING: 7/10
    REASON: The mapping and the tiles are very nice, but the palletes are really pale. :\ The map is simple, but the palletes are ruining it. :\
    SUGGESTION: Make the palletes more lively, I guess...? Or is this an event where time stopped or something related?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Map name: Test map
    Made on: Fire Red
    Notice: This is the first map I made in almost a year so don't be to harsh i'm still rusty ;x

Spoiler:
    Alright, im going to give this a 4/10. Try not exstending houses so they look abnormal ( if your going to do this make it taller with more windows, i know from experience) Try making the map bigger because its too much of a small map and try adding more different tiles like a different house (one that doesnt look the same), different looking trees etc. Also i dont think its a good idea putting bushes in random places everywhere, when you go out are there loads of bushes in your way?xD Try adding a path and you will have the perfect map! ;)

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Map name: Test map
    Notice: This is the first map I made in almost a year so don't be to harsh i'm still rusty ;x

Spoiler:
    hmm.... a 5/10 from me.
    there is a tile error is suppose? near the bush in the middle-left of the map. you could try altering the grass used.

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
    Years
  • K guys,
    got a new one for you xD!

Mapname: None^^
    Base: Fire Red

Credits go to:
    Xiros ~ Tiles & Pal (slightly editted by me^^)
    Kyledove ~ Tiles
    Saurav ~ Tiles
    WesleyFG ~ Tiles

greetz,
    Gibson

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    K guys,

Credits go to:
    Kyledove ~ Tiles
    Saurav ~ Tiles
    WesleyFG ~ Tiles

greetz,
    Gibson
    WoW!
    to me this map is great. I liked the combinations of tiles.
    10/10

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2009
    Hey, Gibson, that looks absolutely fabulous. I'm in love with your palette choices, as well as with the placement of every single tile in that masterpiece. The river gives a pretty nice vibe to that atmosphere, too - it really adds some happiness to the map itself. I seriously don't see anything wrong with that, so why not rate it 10/10? ;)

10/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Map name: Test map

Spoiler:
    Hehehehe Roy, it sure has been a while since you mapped hasn't it. :P Anyways, lets get into this thing. First off, the tree placement it alright, you know, but nothing spectacular. The flowers should be placed in groups of twos or threes. The bushes should be the same way. The paths should be less straight. I'm tired right now, so that's all you're gonna get.

Rating: 3/10

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • K guys,

Credits go to:
    Kyledove ~ Tiles
    Saurav ~ Tiles
    WesleyFG ~ Tiles

greetz,
    Gibson

Although the palettes look a bit iffy on some tiles, this is a pretty good map. I just want to point out that the waterfall isn't done right. Take a look at the waterfall in Fire Red's Cape Brink. That's how it should be done. Unless there is a connection on the right side of the map, you're going to run into border problems.

6/10

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • K guys,

Credits go to:
    Kyledove ~ Tiles
    Saurav ~ Tiles
    WesleyFG ~ Tiles

greetz,
    Gibson

Interesting how this map got so many perfect ratings right off the bat. It's not bad, but I see a few things in there that could really be improved.

• As mentioned before, the waterfalls look funky. Fix those and that'll get rid of a major eyesore for the more experienced mappers.
    • Tall Grass Placement. Random-ish and spread out grass is fine, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculously sparse. While some patches in the map look fine, some spots just have single-tile patches in, literally, corners of the path. This may just be preference, but I don't see much point in putting wild grass tiles in such a fashion that they won't be walked through anyways. I generally don't see them as a typical "naturality decoration".
    • Flower Placement. Hooray for colorful, flowery maps! Except when the flower placement is horrible. Rule of thumb; flowers grow in patches, not independently in random areas of the map. Take a look at some of sasquatchd00d's maps for an example of that, or some other experienced mapper.
    • Borders. Alright, so I'm not sure how many connections you were planning on making here. If you want any hope of successfully putting this map in a hack, though, watch that left side of the map. I found several ways to exit the map there, including via surf, so if you weren't planning on making a connection there, then fix the tiles or make the connecting map. Same goes for right side, minus the walk-ability.
    I guess that ties up the criticisms. Besides that, I liked the choice of tiles and palettes. Tree placement is good enough, as is the shape of the mountains. Paths seem to be logical. Seems like a decent map to me. o:

Final rating: 7/10

BryanDX

Rookie detective
    Years
  • Map Name: Mabe Village
    Map Game: Pokémon Fire red
    Comments:After trying to map this town for 5 times I think I finally got the map to look great.Tiles by Kyledove and Zel.
    Please comment

Years
  • K guys,

Credits go to:
    Kyledove ~ Tiles
    Saurav ~ Tiles
    WesleyFG ~ Tiles

greetz,
    Gibson
    9.5/10

I can't really find anything I see wrong with this map except that it might be a little cramped in some places, and some people might think theres too many flowers.

Dratii

Working on something new...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Map Name: Mt. Beuto
    Map Game: Emerald
    Comments: First external mountain map.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Alright, im going to give this a 4/10. Try not exstending houses so they look abnormal ( if your going to do this make it taller with more windows, i know from experience) Try making the map bigger because its too much of a small map and try adding more different tiles like a different house (one that doesnt look the same), different looking trees etc. Also i dont think its a good idea putting bushes in random places everywhere, when you go out are there loads of bushes in your way?xD Try adding a path and you will have the perfect map! ;)

hmm.... a 5/10 from me.
    there is a tile error is suppose? near the bush in the middle-left of the map. you could try altering the grass used.

Hehehehe Roy, it sure has been a while since you mapped hasn't it. :P Anyways, lets get into this thing. First off, the tree placement it alright, you know, but nothing spectacular. The flowers should be placed in groups of twos or threes. The bushes should be the same way. The paths should be less straight. I'm tired right now, so that's all you're gonna get.

Rating: 3/10

Lawlz, Alright people thanks for your ratings.
    Ooh and the random bushes and flowers give me the feeling that it's more natural ;x but if it's to random I won't do it again (at least try not to do it again ;p).

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • This is getting a little bit too Off-Topic...

- Pokey here!
    Well, here's a map I made a looooong while ago. I tested using a little more Nintendoish tree-placement style, and I think it worked out pretty well.
    Sdly, I didn't write down whoms tiles these are, as I originally planned to just keep the map for myself... But you can fill in if you want ^^

Anywayz, rate, pals!

NAME: Waterfall forest
    GAME: FireRed
    COMMENTS: see above
    I'm not gonna rate any map until this one is done! >.< |
    Put in attachment \/

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Map Name: Mt. Beuto
    Spoiler:
    This looks like it's made in an offficial game. Bravo.
    The tree and the mountain placement is perfect, but there are 3 things that are bothering me:
    1. The grass placement. I don't like the spaces between the patches of grass.
    2. The top-left corner. Where the grass is, then it just flows into the mountain. Try using the tile that has the edge of a rock with grass underneath.
    3. The flowers you used in the left part. Those are used for entering a forest, dot for decortional purposes.

But again, it's a great map! 8/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Map Name: Mt. Beuto
    Spoiler:
    Ooh this is a pretty nice map, but some aspects are a little too nintendo-esque for my taste. For one the mountains are just a little too straight, but not too bad. Also the emptiness is actually kinda annoying, I know emptiness isn't really a bad thing in the right moderation, but I feel you over-did it just a tad here. I think you could add some more trees as well, to give it more shape. I really like the grass placement though. It's placed like nintendo, but edited just enough as to not look stupid, kudos on that. The map also seems to be lacking a bit in the grass area, you should add some more that the player is forced to go through. The paths are pretty good, but you should add a little one inbetween the two. Overall, it's just a little too nintendo-esque for my taste, but it's still pretty nice.

6/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back