• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I'm reposting this map to get a few more rates. I only had one and it wasn't as constructive as I would have liked. Anyways, credits to kyledove, WesleyFG, and Zein.

Spoiler:

MAP RATING: 9/10
    COMMENT: It's a simple map. It's wonderful plus the gameplay is really nice.
    SUGGESTION: Nothing to suggest...

Repost. I want more than one rate.

Map Name:
    Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: Just a map I made out of boredom. Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: This one was a result of a video tut; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3RVOgOTTsw a link for the ones who are interested. =)
    Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

1st Map...
    MAP RATING: 7/10
    COMMENT: Those single block of rocks on the water has a different water pallete. It's a bit of a turn-off. The tree's pallete's are a bit strong. The trees look not right to me, but whatever...
    SUGGESTION: Fix the water stones...

2nd Map...
    MAP RATING: 9/10
    COMMENT: I like the way you placed the flowers. They're cute and go well with the whole map. The post is giving a 3d look, which doesn't go well with a 2d map. :\
    SUGGESTION: Nothing to suggest...

Map Name: Route 1
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: A route I made because I was bored. It is meant to be Nintendo-styled
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

MAP RATING: 6/10
    COMMENT: It's... a simple map. Nothing exciting, plus it's too wide...
    SUGGESTION: Make it more lively...

justinufer

Learner
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    Here is my world map for my game. I'll be changing the graphics of the map later on and I'll make it look better too.

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • Okay im working on a new map right now
    it's the starting point of the game..
    it's suppose to be nintendo-styled..
    i cant remember who to give credits to but those who made the rom base please pm me
    Spoiler:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    [A Revision of my last map]
    Please rate

Rossdale Path Revised
    Spoiler:

COMMENT: Although the map's not giving a natural feel to it, it's a nice map. Although it's giving off a squarish feel. It has some tile/block errors there as well... And Also... How the heck will the PLAYER escape in this part of your map!? o.O
    Spoiler:

RATING: 6/10
    SUGGESTION: Erm... Give the PLAYER a chance to escape that trap...

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • ill post them again, because im not happy >:(

1st is nuvale town, a small cove city

2nd is silcrest City, a beach town at the end of the cycle path

this time id like a rate, as the only one i got wasnt too constructive,

Whats wrong with asking for a Review for a map i spent over 2 hours on?

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • It's a bit late here so I'll just do what I can before I fall asleep. D:

ill post them again, because im not happy >:(

2nd is silcrest City, a beach town at the end of the cycle path

Alright, well where to start? First off, I'll say right now that this isn't really a great map. There's several huge things that really detract from its appeal, the biggest ones being squareness, emptiness, and abundance of tile errors. Let's focus on a few.

• Squareness. The seashore line and beach border mountains are surprisingly natural compared to some of the other parts of your map, specifically the top. Bike path or no, those path tiles are much too straight. In addition, due to the their straightness, the mountains inbetween become too square as well. Make that more natural-looking, and add some more twists to the mountains on the left as well.
    • Emptiness. Well this is pretty self-explanatory. Some areas of the town paths are unnecessarily wide, and the beach has too much empty space. The sea seems pretty empty, so try adding a few random rocks here and there to get rid of that. Also, relying solely on flowers to decorate a town is usually a bad idea (unless the town is flower-themed). Utilize your trees! Yours rocks! Your bushes! Whatever it takes to make the town seem natural without congesting it with details.
    • Tile Errors. Just gives a messy feel to the map overall. Mostly your problems lie just in the mountain tiles. If it's mountain on mountain, then don't use the mountain on grass tiles. At least that should be simple enough, right?
    • Border Errors. I'm going to assume you know what you're doing when you leave parts of 3 sides of the map completely open to player movement. Good luck making map connections if you ever plan on putting this into a hack. Otherwise, limit the size of the beach and rock off places where the player shouldn't go. Also, those rocks on the beach to block off player movement really bug me. It's either the entire beach is full of rocks like that, or you just find another way to block movement. But those rocks look out of place.
    I suppose that covers the basics. You've got some stuff to work on, so good luck with that. Otherwise, I suppose it's a decent attempt at a map. o:

Final Rating: 4/10

Too tired to rate your other one as well. However, some of what I said for Silcrest also applies to the other one, so try thinking about that one by yourself. Moving on...

Heres a map for my hack. It's the first one I've made in ages.

Spoiler:

It's the New Bark Town but it looks different because I wanted it to be different to HGSS and ShinyGold.
    Sorry, but your break from mapping is clearly evident in this map. Several things about this map make it difficult for me to take it seriously at all. Let's start with the obvious.

• Tile Errors. From gaps under windows to misplaced tree tiles to incomplete water borders, it seems like you've got it all. Those white and red houses need some work on the aforementioned gaps. Messy tile insertion/editing much? Next, the tree on the bottom right has a misplaced top right. Whoops? The bottom of your water's edge is missing: complete it. Oh yeah, something's off about those dark dashes on your horizontal hedge too. Might want to check that out.
    • Flower Positioning. Geometry generally isn't your friend when you map. It's great that you can make a square (or an X) out of flowers, but that looks rather poor visually on a map. Flowers come in clusters, and even then not usually exceeding groups of 3 or 4 (depending on the tile, but with those flowers it's generally less). Spread them throughout the map, and try not to make any more shapes with them.
    • Tree Line Shape. Okay, not as important since Nintendo does this too, which is probably why you included it. Remake or no, however, I would usually suggest making the tree line a bit more interesting anyways. That top line of trees is just boring.
    Since it's just a remake, I suppose I can't really address any other issues that aren't Nintendo-mapping-style-related. Welcome back to mapping, though. Hope my input will help you with making maps in the future!

Final rating: 3/10

Alright one more rating and I'm done for the night...

Hello another map from me :)
    Rate it please
    (dont watch border errors if there are some)
    Well the good thing about this map is that the initial visual appeal is pretty nice. Since you said to ignore border errors, I won't include them in my rating. You do have quite a few, though. But besides that, I'd point out some good things first. Your water borders look nice and natural. Mountains aren't technically square, but I'll address that shortly. The map looks detailed enough, and the paths/sands are done well enough. Now on to some things that I noticed!

• Flower Positioning. I say this a lot, don't I? It's not crucial though, so I'm not trying to force it on everyone. But I still think that placing flowers in clusters of 2-4 looks more natural. Flowers in the middle of tall grass also looks kinda iffy, but it doesn't seem like you really had that problem (due to the distribution of your grass). Speaking of which...
    • Tall Grass Positioning. Another one of those "preference" things, but I think your tall grass gets a little too spread out in some parts. The point is to make the player run into Pokemon more often, after all, not just as a ground decoration for maps. Also, personally I'd avoid putting tall grass directly on the tile(s) adjacent to a cave entrance. Other than that though, I don't have any other major issues with your grass placement.
    • Mountains. This one's tricky. I was sure your mountains were natural until I noticed something slightly off about them. The ones on the top have a distinct zigzag pattern going. Not as bad as square mountains, but it still looks awkward and could be fixed to make the map look better and more natural.
    This map really isn't too bad, though. Plenty of good things about it, and there's only a few relatively minor issues that could be improved. This is all, of course, ignoring the several border errors that the player would encounter. But overall, I'd say it's a pretty good map.

Final rating: 7/10

justinufer

Learner
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    This my map for my hack of FR which i havn't givin a name yet. It is the first town. Please ignore the border with the tree's how they are incomplete I'm goin to change the tiles but I'll be doin that later. I know it's a bit empty I just cnt think wat to put in there.Thxs

Years

• I'm liking how it's constructed geometrically but I'm not liking the small trees in combination with the big trees like that. =/
    Not too bad at all... it's all looking nice until a reach the two small trees place side by side.
    In terms of playability it looks great! Just watch your double placement of small trees and rocks...
    That's not too bad, it'd just be a pain having such large map connections... as in it'd be hard to get them right ya know?
    That's a well constructed map indeed, but just watch your tree placement. This seems to be a big issue since I've come back to this thread. Try to balance it out, the trees a bit too random in the middle and yet the trees on the edge are perfectly straight. That doesn't make sense.
    I agree, middle ages, you should remake it. XD
    The craters are fine, so is the river, but if you really want this map to shine you're going to need to find rock and ground palettes and tiles that compliment the trees, not make them look out of place. =/
    I like the benches though.
    Dayum, that's a pretty sweet Route 1, because it's different. And what I mean is it has water!
    But, again, tree placement guys. You've tried to make it a bit more random, I can see that, but there's a lot of double placement of small trees (makes it look awkward) and you've also got a weird arrangement of big trees. And also, use one kind of path... it just looks weird with both so close together in the top left.
    Umm, well... could you post it when it is complete? If it's not finished I don't think it deserves rating, as you'll be making so many changes the ratings will go down the toilet. =/

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Map Name: Town 7
    Comments: Using the JA tiles again, I thought I would go along with my previous map's idea and make a town...maybe even a starter town (without a lab). I tried blending nintendo style with "natural style," but I'm not sure how it turned out.

Spoiler:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Map Name: Town 7
    Comments: Using the JA tiles again, I thought I would go along with my previous map's idea and make a town...maybe even a starter town (without a lab). I tried blending nintendo style with "natural style," but I'm not sure how it turned out.

Spoiler:
    Well let's see...(i'm naming good things first)
    1.The mountain looks ok I don't see any flaws in that.
    2.I don't see any tile errors.

Now...BAD!
    1.Your tree placement is square.
    Why?: Well there just strait. Don't know how to explain it better than that.
    Fix: Well...Um I guess just don't make them strait.

2.Too much open space.

Where?: Where you exit the town. It seems like you can roam to far away than where you are supposed to go.
    Fix: Try Filling the area with some trees or some rocks.

Total:

Tile errors: 0/10(perfect)
    Tile Placement:7.5/10(good)

Overall mapping:8.5/10(good)

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • well i think i was skipped
    so heres the picture again :P
    NAME:(insert name)village
    comments:credits to kyledove rom base
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Another map
    map name::Route [number]
    comments:sme as the above
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Saurav
    game base:fr
    comments: don't mind border errors. also the player travels into an old-timey photo.
    credits: saurav, wesley fg, doktor worm, and MASTEROFPUPPETS.
    map name old-timey photo
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • Saurav
    game base:fr
    comments: don't mind border errors. also the player travels into an old-timey photo.
    credits: saurav, wesley fg, doktor worm, and MASTEROFPUPPETS.
    map name old-timey photo
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    RATINGS..
    so first thing first..
    i'll just name out the bad stuffs
    1.why make the map so big when you're going to use like half of it?i suggest you scale it down a bit
    2.where does that cave lead to?and how do the hero escape from that water?

other than that it looks good..i see no tile errors..
    rating
    7.5/10

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Map Name: Pokemart

Map Game:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: This is for my hack. It was modeled off of the Pokemart in G/S/C. I like it.

Mapshot:

Map Rating/Review Thread

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • well i think i was skipped
    so heres the picture again :P
    NAME:(insert name)village
    comments:credits to kyledove rom base
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Another map
    map name::Route [number]
    comments:sme as the above
    Map Rating/Review Thread

first map
    your mapping skills have gotton better but can still get better the roads are still square the trees are better but can still get better and the jump of clif is just a rectangle
    6.5/10
    secend map
    the tree plcement is better then the first map but can still be better the roads are square and the grass placement is square
    6.5/10

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Map Rating/Review Thread

The NEW New Bark Town version 2. Credits to Michael1 for the rombase. Rate it please.

I don't like the bushes. The windmill by Kris's house has a tile error on the path. On the third tree from the water there is a tile error.

I'll give it a 7.2 out of 10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back