• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
  • Route 389

Map Name:Route 389

Rom:
    Firered

Comments:
    This route exists only so the player gets HM cut after their 6th badge.They go in one cave,get the HM,get out the other.First of all,this route is based entirely on my favorite route,so I know what routes look like. Second,the trees may look square,but they look perfect to me,so don't complain.Third,this route is packed with items and trainers,so there won't be very much empty space. Lastly,I only have tiles to make the grass in square patches.

Credits:
    I'm a big Alistair fan but I had to use Kyledove's too.

EDIT
    I'll post a link,the thumbnails' to small.
    https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/tente_01/Route389.png?t=1255901361

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Hack: none (yet)
    Map name: some route
    ROM: Gold
    Comments: I tried to create a scenic route similar to Bond Bridge, 38/39 and Hoenn routes. The player enters it first time from top right and goes southwest.

The map is not finished yet but you get the idea. There are still some quirks around the southern area.

I'm rating this map 8/10.

It's pretty good actually.It's very creative to demake something,with everybody remaking.I really like the ledge puzzle near the second bridge.A few suggestions though.(I don't know what "quirks" means by the way.)

First of all,on the road upward,there is a big blotch of sidewalk.This makes the spot seem somewhat empty,not to mention changing the width of a path looks horrible unless a path is becoming the cement of a city.
    Next,unless some special event like Suicine appears in the grass in the top-left corner,or an HM,it's rather pointless to put it there,where on the other hand putting it on the trail causes the player to waste a repel (yay!).
    Also,I wouldn't put rocks next to a bridge.Lastly,this has to do with the mountains.The lower part overlaps the upper in the indents.And with the 3rd layer of the mountain,wouldn't it look better to simply connect them?

EDIT
    Crap!Double post!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hack Name: Pokemon: The Ocean Secrets.
    Map Name: N/A
    Comments: It's Been A While Scince I Last Mapped, So My New Style Isn't All There Yet.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Hack: N/A
    Name: N/A
    Base Rom: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove, Alistait, Zeikku, Jesse[TB Pro]
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hack: none (yet)
    Map name: some route
    ROM: Gold
    Comments: I tried to create a scenic route similar to Bond Bridge, 38/39 and Hoenn routes. The player enters it first time from top right and goes southwest.

The map is not finished yet but you get the idea. There are still some quirks around the southern area.

This is a very nice map, and I like the de-makey-ness of it. However, it's just not...scenic, it just feels like a random route. Gold tiles aren't particularly good at making something scenic, but eh. It's a good map nonetheless.

8/10

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
  • This is a very nice map, and I like the de-makey-ness of it. However, it's just not...scenic, it just feels like a random route. Gold tiles aren't particularly good at making something scenic, but eh. It's a good map nonetheless.

8/10

Scenic may not be the exact word but I was trying to create a route that is close to nature and there are lots of variety in tiles (water, ground, trees, bridges, fences, rocks...).

And while I was making this I had the feeling in mind that I had after walking all the way from Fortree to Lilycove. The very last bridge (in the southern part near the flowers) reminds a little of the end of Route 121.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Maybe it's irrelevant,but I didn't make this map on A-map,and I don't know how to insert a tileset since they need to be rar.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Maybe it's irrelevant,but I didn't make this map on A-map,and I don't know how to insert a tileset since they need to be rar.
    This should be in the simple questions thread, but I'll answer it anyway. It does not need to be a rar. It needs to be a bmp.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Map Name: (Undecided currently) It's the starting town however
    Rom/Tileset Used: Pkmn FireRed/Original rom tileset (0/1)

I'm going through the motions, learning the in's and out's of mapping. I made a couple of "rough drafts" and this is the one I've decided on. I wanted to keep the town fairly simple, and I believe I've done that while still trying to focus on things like the aesthetics of parts of the map like the surrounding mountains. (Yes, there is no pokemon lab I know that :-P) It's not meant to be clustered or small. The town is located in the mountains, with very few inhabitants or traffic compared to other areas. Thus, there is a decent amount of space for people to spread out instead of being clustered together.

P.S. I'm a little older than the majority of PC users I would bet, so I have no issue with criticism, as long as it's productive. So, that said, criticize away. :-)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Just in case people might have missed it...

--------------------------------

Hack: N/A
    Name: N/A
    Base Rom: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove, Alistait, Zeikku, Jesse[TB Pro]
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    square roads and un natrual montains and very empty
    4/10

Why should the "road" not be square?
    (It's basically a dirt path made from the constant movement in those areas, but that is only slightly beyond the point)

How are the mountains unnatural?

It's not meant to be clustered or small. The town is located in the mountains, with very few inhabitants or traffic compared to other areas. (Actually, i'll add this last part to my original post to clear that up)

Not retaliating, you just didn't follow thread rules, thus I'm asking you to finish your post. -Anything good about the map?
    -The things you found wrong with the map...how would you fix them, or can you go into greater detail at the very least.
    d

DaMexicanMadness

Gotta Love Incubus!!
    Years
  • Hack: N/A
    Map Name: Calaha Town - Start town
    Base Rom: Punk Rocker's Rom Base
    Credits: Kyledove, Peyi, Punk Rocker
    Comments: Would like to know how I can improve my mapping please.
    Map shot: See attachment

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Why should the "road" not be square?
    (It's basically a dirt path made from the constant movement in those areas, but that is only slightly beyond the point)

How are the mountains unnatural?

It's not meant to be clustered or small. The town is located in the mountains, with very few inhabitants or traffic compared to other areas. (Actually, i'll add this last part to my original post to clear that up)

Not retaliating, you just didn't follow thread rules, thus I'm asking you to finish your post. -Anything good about the map?
    -The things you found wrong with the map...how would you fix them, or can you go into greater detail at the very least.
    d
    the roads should not be squar because it looks ugley
    the golden maping rule squarness makes the map look 2d and ugley while natrual maps look real and give off the illlusian of 3d maps

you never see a perfectly staight montain thats perfecly flat it looks fake and un real hence un realitic.

anything good? NO. not to be mean but there is nothing in the map I like its square empty and un natrual.

how to fix it.
    add more trees and flowers fix the roads and look at a real montain small or big I dont care no maontains are that flat(un less it is man made like a patto but I dont think thats what you were going for)

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Refreshing my rusted mapping skills:
    Map Name: Route 32
    Game: Legend of Fenju - Gaoya
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

players coming from the bottom and will have to go through the cave and some routes and towns after it before he can take the right exit

Years
  • Decided to post one of Shadow Blast's maps.
    ROM Base:Ruby
    Game:Pokemon Shadow Blast
    Map name:Sky Island
    Screenshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Basically,this is where you can catch Rayquaza in Shadow Blast.The Sky Ticket is needed to get here,as well as the bike.The grass contains very high level Pokemon(50-90's),and Team Shadow will hunt for Rayquaza here.They recruited Team Cipher's last surviving grunt,who gives you the beasts(3 spots needed.)

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Refreshing my rusted mapping skills:
    Map Name: Route 32
    Game: Legend of Fenju - Gaoya
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

players coming from the bottom and will have to go through the cave and some routes and towns after it before he can take the right exit
    Neti, I'm pretty sure that I don't need to comment on this map's good things.
    Now for the 'less good stuff':
    I actually don't like it all being in mountain tiles. Maybe you could use grass. I know you've got the tiles that connect mountain and grass. Plus, you could have wild Pokemon.
    It's still a great map, but if you do as I said, it would be better in my opinion... 9/10.

Decided to post one of Shadow Blast's maps.
    ROM Base:Ruby
    Game:Pokemon Shadow Blast
    Map name:Sky Island
    Screenshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Basically,this is where you can catch Rayquaza in Shadow Blast.The Sky Ticket is needed to get here,as well as the bike.The grass contains very high level Pokemon(50-90's),and Team Shadow will hunt for Rayquaza here.They recruited Team Cipher's last surviving grunt,who gives you the beasts(3 spots needed.)
    I'm pretty sure the whole map is just one big error. Try looking at some maps first, then at some mapping tutorials.
    I'm sorry to say it's 0/10.

Map Name: Dewberry Village
    ROM: FireRed
    Hack: enCODED
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    That map is wonderful! I like how you used the gate; most mappers don't think of that. It's all perfectly fine, but I guess you could put a bit more effort to it... 8/10.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back