• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March 19th 2011 - The end of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    No, just no. Like I say in all the other threads like this. The world will end when God wants it to. Not anytime soon. I think we would see some damaged now.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    I think someones been playing to much Majora's Mask, lol. Seriously, how many times has "the end" been predicted? I swear, these people need to get a life and stop predicting the end of the world, unless they get paid for it.

Any idea how much being a apocalypse scientist makes? 8D

zZJoennZz

What da!?
    Years

KieronGames

May be more active
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    Our astrologers, astronomers and scientists these days... I think too much radiation went to their heads or... they're just plain idiots.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2015
    I'm seeing that the moon this night is just alright as usual... It's still really far from here. No need to worry friends...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No. Lunar activity affects the tides, but earthquakes are due to the shifting of the tectonic plates.
    I understand there's someone who's been studying the Moon's relation to tectonic activity and found some correlation.
    Let's say, if you put a group of metal plates on top of a liquid they'll float in, hold a magnet above them all and move it around, they'll follow to an extent when you come close enough. The same principle could be applied in some extent to tectonic plates and gravity, so it seems. I'm not saying the Moon alone causes anything, it's just possibly compelling.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    True, except it would cause disruptions worldwide, since the moon has a worldwide influence on the earth. The moon's facing is fixed, but not its position in comparison to the earth. That's why we have tides in the first place - if the moon was truly fixed (as would need to be required for the moon to be involved), water would just be higher on one side of the earth and lower on the other all the time, not rotating like tides. In addition, one side of the earth would never see the moon, and we all know that's not true.

So yes. The moon is not involved.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    I ACNT AGREE MORE WITH YOU FABIO!! I think the exact same thing, the world is not going to end, no one can predict such thing and if it is going to end then what? people have a life so they should jsut run all day and shout?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    True, except it would cause disruptions worldwide, since the moon has a worldwide influence on the earth. The moon's facing is fixed, but not its position in comparison to the earth. That's why we have tides in the first place - if the moon was truly fixed (as would need to be required for the moon to be involved), water would just be higher on one side of the earth and lower on the other all the time, not rotating like tides. In addition, one side of the earth would never see the moon, and we all know that's not true.

So yes. The moon is not involved.
    I don't follow... There are earthquakes all around the world where plates meet, so why would it need to be fixed?
    Imagine if you will that tectonic plates had something akin to tides. It just seems intuitively logical, but perhaps if this is disproven you could show me how.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    It goes a little like this - tides are effected by the moon's gravity. If they're aligned with the sun, then the tides are larger. Theoretically, if the moon was closer, it would also make the tides larger. Because a large part of it has to do with the position of the moon in comparison to the earth's surface, we have tides daily as it rotates.

Well, the surface of the earth does indeed change with the tides as well - although much less noticeably. And like water tides, they follow the moon, which is seen all around the world. So, if the earthquakes were caused by the moon's gravitational force, it would have to follow the earth around with the rotation of the earth, which it has not.

I'm thinking it was the fixed thing that bugged you, the truth is is that the moon's revolution around the Earth is not fixed although it has little to do with my point in retrospect because I'm talking about the Earth rotating, not the moon revolving. hm

Rensider

Do as the Snamor do.
    Years
    I can safely say that nothing's gonna happen. It never does. Me and one of my mates dicussed something similar a couple of months ago about the Moon leaving the Earth's orbit. And as far as I've heard, the scientists that said this were wrong so why wouldn't the guy who came up with this be.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    All this apocolyptic theories are complete nonsense.

You can't just put a date on when the world's going to end since the earth wasn't created to work precisely with time and dates, which is why we have Leap Years and Daylight Savings.

And every past theory like 2000 being the end of the world turned out to be false.

So don't expect me to be having a sliver of worry about this.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I actually like this one better than what some pre-historic calender is trying to impend on us.

edit: Also, did anyone else think of Majora's Mask? I know that is a terrible exaggeration, but still, it just happen to pop up in my mind after the article claiming it'll be closer to Earth.

Oh noes! Someone play the Song of Time. :P

But honestly, this just seems like the latest Doomsday story. :\

Years
    • Seen today
    No. It has happened before, right? 18 years ago? So it won't happen something like that.

Don't believe stuff like that.. that scientist should get a grip or something.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    People who think it will be the end of the world are completely retarded, for lack of a better term.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Honestly, as soon as a heard it was astrology, like Feign, I closed out. Astrology isn't a real science and some people would call all the things that people who believe in it do total garbage, and that's what it is. I have no worry about this, and I will anticipate it and wait until we prove everyone wrong.
    Also, the moon effects tides, not tsunamis >____>

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    They all sound like they are speaking for Buncombe. I'll see what happens when the date rolls around but right now, I think it will be nothing and it will be another boring, ordinary day. People have been trying to predict when the apocalypse throughout history and guess what? None of them came true!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back