• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Megaupload Shut Down

Awesome.

Gotta go fast!!!
Years
  • spk9xe.gif

If this is the result of the many people that blacked out their sites to protest against SOPA/PIPA, then I don't see much hope for the Internet

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • It's not. It's been in the works since the 5th. Bad timing yes, but not a responce to the protests.

Also, lets not forget that the founder of MU is a convicted criminal. Even before he started the site. You might say he had good intentions with it, but I say his record speaks against himself.

Awesome.

Gotta go fast!!!
    Years
  • It's not. It's been in the works since the 5th. Bad timing yes, but not a responce to the protests.

Also, lets not forget that the founder of MU is a convicted criminal. Even before he started the site. You might say he had good intentions with it, but I say his record speaks against himself.
    It still doesn't justify the arrests of the other 4 operators.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
  • I feel bad for the people who paid for extra downloads like the packages they had.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I don't use MegaUpload all that much, but of course I tried to yesterday but I couldn't get on, which confused me. Now I see why.

This . . . sucks. (Mainly just because I really wanted that file, lol.) But . . . really. Arresting them for a possible 55 year sentence? (Ur, did I word that right?) That's just pathetic.

Now I feel like spreading the < MegaUpload song > as much as possible. xD

@Sydian - Completely agreed. The end is upon us.
    xP

Guest123_x1

Despite denials that this raid of Megaupload does not have anything to do with the SOPA/PIPA debate, the timing of this is more than just a coincidence. This raid was timed deliberately not just as a mere distraction, but there's something much deeper involved.
    I've come up with the theory that a major site will go down every month, leading up to December 21st and then Jesus comes down and steals the Internet. The Mayans were right. Not in the ways we expected, but they were on to something. They knew. They knew.
    Sounds like something one would find on Infowars or PropagandaMatrix. The conspiracy theorists are probably already all over this controversy.
    Arresting them for a possible 55 year sentence? That's just pathetic.
    Isn't it ironic? Murderers, rapists, and terrorists, who take people's lives, get off with 20 years or less, yet copyright infringement gets you basically the rest of your life in prison. No wonder our justice system is broken.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Oh yes, it was deliberate that the planned the raid for the 19th, two weeks after the people were indited.

Oh yes, so deliberate.

Lets just ignore the events that happened in the two weeks which included getting the cooperation of the foriegn governments where these people resided. You think you can get that in a day? No. You can't. Care was taken to prevent alerting the targets.

Sure. Lets blame these events on a law which isn't even passed, and one that won't pass. Makes perfect sense.

Bad timing? Yes. Coincidence? Yes. But planned to occur right after the sucuessful debate against SOPA/PIPA? No.

The justice system isn't broken. It works. The laws that it has to follow, however, are. So, lets work on getting the murders, terrorists, rapists, ect, much longer sentences.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The laws are part of the justice system. That's like saying "the car isn't broken, just the engine is broken". The justice system includes the laws it falls under, so if the laws are broken so is the justice system.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Poor Megaupload! It's upsetting to see it get taken down. I used that site a little to watch anime... now it's gone. It's unfair, and they closed down at such a bad time.

You will be missed Megaupload!

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • This is so tragic it's unreal. I actually LOVED them. They were the best when they had what you wanted. I hate you SOPA. HATE. And it's a strong word. HATE!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Poor Megaupload! It's upsetting to see it get taken down. I used that site a little to watch anime... now it's gone. It's unfair, and they closed down at such a bad time.

You will be missed Megaupload!

I don't understand your logic. It's unfair for them to get in trouble for hosting copyrighted content, when you used it to watch copyrighted content? I understand that people are upset over it, but even I can admit that it's not unfair or anything. I never understood how Megavideo got away with what they had on there tbh.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • MU is down. They still have the ip so they can restart the site if they wish, but the network itself is still down.

Without a domain name though they are pretty much out.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • The new site had graphics, and everything at some point yesterday. xD Though, it looks like they're doing it again. Either way, the whole Megaupload freak out didn't last long, since it took them all of 7 hours to attempt to rebuild. xD;

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    I wouldn't trust any links claiming to be the new megaupload just yet. There have been reports that those links, when clicked on, make your computer send out the DDoS thing using the LOIC thing or whatever. You could seriously get in trouble for that which is why people usually have to agree to the risks before use.

And doing the shut down the DAY after the LARGEST ONLINE PROTEST against SOPA does not seem like any kind of retaliation? Just a coincidence and nothing more?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • And doing the shut down the DAY after the LARGEST ONLINE PROTEST against SOPA does not seem like any kind of retaliation? Just a coincidence and nothing more?
    Yup. Would have happened even without the protest.

These things take time and planning.

And as of today SOPA and PIPA are pretty much dead in the water anyway. This had nothing to do with those bills

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I hope MU comes back. It's not fair that they didn't just remove anything copyrighted and keep the rest on there. It's literally the one bad apple in the bunch that spoils them all and that's the case here. I'm also glad Anonymous decided to do something to retaliate against the takedown. But I have some legal files on there, and it's not fair that they had to be taken down because other people decided to put copyrighted content on it.

One bad apple? No.

Given time, I could compile a txt file with 10k+ dl links for pirated content. That is alot more then one bad apple.

Just anyway, we don't know what amount of files were pirated. And neither source can be trusted to give us correct numbers. (MU will always downplay the piracy that occurs because of them, and the corps will always upplay the piracy that occurs because of MU)

But still, either way, piracy occurs and MU wasn't doing enough to prevent it. Ideally, MU would require free acc registration to upload files with a limit imposed on the size of the file and the amount of files uploaded per day. Paid acc's would remove both limits, but if links from paid acc's are reported for piracy then the files would be removed and transfered to another server for verification. If they are copyrighted, then the copyright holder would be notified and should they decide to press charges for piracy, MU would then give them the account's information.

Back