• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Is it a bad idea to have both Rapid Spin AND Stealth Rock on Excadrill? Here is my current set-up:

Excadrill - Air Balloon
    Jolly Nature
    Mold Breaker
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin

Before I threw Rocks on him, I had Rock Slide of course, but I really want Stealth Rock on my team and the only other pokemon I have that carries it is Skarmory, which I was planning on using in a separate team. Thoughts?

It's better to have Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin on bulky variants of Excadrill. Offensive Excadrill generally needs all the coverage it can get from Earthquake, Iron Head, and Rock Slide, while bulky Excadrill can eschew its offensive presence to take advantage of its decent defensive typing:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    Can this Milotic work in VGC

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Haze
    - Ice Beam

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Can this Milotic work in VGC

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Haze
    - Ice Beam
    Your set works better in singles, as setup moves are rare in doubles. Competitive is Milotic's preferred ability in doubles to take advantage of opposing Intimidates:
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Icy Wind
    -Recover/Icy Wind
    -Protect/Mirror Coat
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 236 HP/140 Def/132 SAtk
    Item: Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Assault Vest
    Ability: Competitive

Above EVs let Milotic take Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    Your set works better in singles, as setup moves are rare in doubles. Competitive is Milotic's preferred ability in doubles to take advantage of opposing Intimidates:
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam/Icy Wind
    -Recover/Icy Wind
    -Protect/Mirror Coat
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 236 HP/140 Def/132 SAtk
    Item: Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Assault Vest
    Ability: Competitive

Above EVs let Milotic take Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

Sad. I got this one in a Wonder trade flawless and shiny -_-

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to know is Primal Groudon better than Primal Kyogre, or are they both equal? If one is better than the other, how is that so? Also, is Latios better than Latias, or are they pretty much identical and just have different uses? Thank you all for the insight and advice, it is greatly appreciated!!!!! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to know is Primal Groudon better than Primal Kyogre, or are they both equal? If one is better than the other, how is that so? Also, is Latios better than Latias, or are they pretty much identical and just have different uses? Thank you all for the insight and advice, it is greatly appreciated!!!!! :)

Primal Groudon is the best Uber in OR/AS Ubers because it's a nice check/counter to threats like Xerneas, Palkia, and Kyogre. Why Kyogre? Because Desolate Land nullifies Primal Groudon's 4x weakness to Water, giving Primal Groudon a free switch to any predicted Water attacks. Primal Kyogre still has its uses, but it's easily checked by Primal Groudon because as already mentioned, it's immune to Water while Desolate Land is active; it's also immune to Electric, another type that offensive Kyogre normally carries. The best (Primal) Kyogre can do against Primal Groudon while Desolate Land is active is Ice Beam, but it won't OHKO.

The choice between the Latis depends on whether you want more power or more bulk. Latias has access to Healing Wish to give weakened attackers a second chance, while Latios has Memento to give setup sweepers an easier time.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Primal Groudon is the best Uber in OR/AS Ubers because it's a nice check/counter to threats like Xerneas, Palkia, and Kyogre. Why Kyogre? Because Desolate Land nullifies Primal Groudon's 4x weakness to Water, giving Primal Groudon a free switch to any predicted Water attacks. Primal Kyogre still has its uses, but it's easily checked by Primal Groudon because as already mentioned, it's immune to Water while Desolate Land is active; it's also immune to Electric, another type that offensive Kyogre normally carries. The best (Primal) Kyogre can do against Primal Groudon while Desolate Land is active is Ice Beam, but it won't OHKO.

The choice between the Latis depends on whether you want more power or more bulk. Latias has access to Healing Wish to give weakened attackers a second chance, while Latios has Memento to give setup sweepers an easier time.

I understand and thanks for the info!!! So, I'm guessing Latios gives more power and Latias more bulk, or do I have it mixed up?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm planning to make a Tank Mega Mawile or Swords Dance Mega Mawile. Mawile/Mega Mawile has only 50 on its Speed base stat. Does that mean it's alright to use a Mawile with 0 Speed Individual Value?

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Uxie is a defensive Pokemon, so Bold (or Relaxed if using both physical and special attacks, as well as using a slow U-turn if desired to get teammates in unscathed) is the preferred nature:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Psychic
    -U-turn
    -Thunder Wave/Yawn/Knock Off
    Nature: Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/56 Spe

Uxie can also run Calm Mind and dual screens effectively with a Timid nature, as it has decent Speed for a wall:
    -Calm Mind
    -Psyshock
    -Signal Beam
    -Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Memento
    -Stealth Rock/U-turn
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay

Azelf is mainly an offensive/speedy support Pokemon, so Timid (if using special attacks), Jolly (if using physical attacks), or Naive (if using both physical and special attacks) are the natures to use:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt
    -Flamethrower/Knock Off
    -Explosion
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Psyshock
    -Fire Blast
    -Dazzling Gleam/Taunt
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -U-turn/Explosion
    -Taunt/Stealth Rock/Knock Off
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay

While Mesprit appears as a jack of all trades kind of Pokemon, Timid is generally the best nature to use. It faces competition from its other counterparts:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Psychic
    -Ice Beam
    -Healing Wish
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Colbur Berry

Ok, I understand. I am still having trouble making a decision for the natures for Azelf and Uxie though. From what I have read and your advice, it seems that jolly or naive would be the natures I'd want to use for Azelf but is special attack or special defense more important to Azelf and why? Also, which stat attack or speed would be more important for Uxie and why, with a bold or relaxed nature? Thank you!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Ok, I understand. I am still having trouble making a decision for the natures for Azelf and Uxie though. From what I have read and your advice, it seems that jolly or naive would be the natures I'd want to use for Azelf but is special attack or special defense more important to Azelf and why? Also, which stat attack or speed would be more important for Uxie and why, with a bold or relaxed nature? Thank you!

Special Attack is more important to Azelf because it's more offensively-oriented. It can go the fast support route, though. If Uxie isn't using U-turn, Bold is the nature to use, but if said attack is being used, Relaxed is preferred to let Uxie move after most opponents so it can get a teammate in battle without it taking unnecessary damage (during a manual switch).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Is there any good sets for a Breloom with Poison Heal ability?

Just the one:
    -Swords Dance
    -Seed Bomb
    -Superpower/Drain Punch
    -Facade/Mach Punch
    EVs: 12 HP/244 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

SubPunch seems tempting, but this Breloom is pretty good at forcing switches as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Special Attack is more important to Azelf because it's more offensively-oriented. It can go the fast support route, though. If Uxie isn't using U-turn, Bold is the nature to use, but if said attack is being used, Relaxed is preferred to let Uxie move after most opponents so it can get a teammate in battle without it taking unnecessary damage (during a manual switch).

Ok, I understand. So, do you think that Azelf can hold its' own with the Nasty Plot build despite its' low defense, or is it better for it to be a Suicide Lead considering its' low defense? Does the low defense cause Azelf to not last that long in competitive battling? Thank you!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Ok, I understand. So, do you think that Azelf can hold its' own with the Nasty Plot build despite its' low defense, or is it better for it to be a Suicide Lead considering its' low defense? Does the low defense cause Azelf to not last that long in competitive battling? Thank you!

Nasty Plot Azelf is very frail, and gets worn down easily by LO recoil and entry hazards. If you're going for that route, I suggest keeping Azelf out of the battle until you know you can safely set up. Given its frailty, it probably only has 1 chance of setting up. I think most people would opt to use it as a dedicated lead or as a dual screens support, both of which it shines at doing.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    So I am thinking of Converting my Metagross to carry a Choice Band. I want Metagross to hit hard which I know its Mega form can do much better but I want to keep Mega Khan around mainly because of Parental Bond.

So as it stands

Metagross @ Metagrossite (switching to Choice Band)
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

With this future set I would like suggestions on which movesets would be viable for metagross. Or If I should get Rid of Mega Khan. I want Metagross to be my heavy hitter and to beat as many pokes up as possible.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    So I am thinking of Converting my Metagross to carry a Choice Band. I want Metagross to hit hard which I know its Mega form can do much better but I want to keep Mega Khan around mainly because of Parental Bond.

So as it stands

Metagross @ Metagrossite (switching to Choice Band)
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

With this future set I would like suggestions on which movesets would be viable for metagross. Or If I should get Rid of Mega Khan. I want Metagross to be my heavy hitter and to beat as many pokes up as possible.
    Metagross is generally better in its Mega Evolution. It's better if you have both that and Mega Kangaskhan on the team so you can pick the right Mega depending on the matchup:
    -Meteor Mash/Iron Head
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Bullet Punch/Ice Punch/Substitute
    -Protect
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Metagrossite

If you still don't want Mega Metagross, Lum Berry or Assault Vest should be the alternative items. Choice Band isn't worth it on Metagross.

xFataLx

Dreaming oV a Dead Sun
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    best dragon sweeper?

Would like a good dragon for a sweeper on my team. thinking about a modest Hydreigon. Any ideas?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back