• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 229-270 (49.3 - 58.1%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Mega Audino: 195-231 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Gengar: 197-232 (76 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

lol

Just found proof that this is a lie. I just created a Sylveon with 252 EV to special attack and modest nature and hit Moonblast with choice specs. Guess what happened? It did roughly 30% damage to the same exact Lapras that you claim that it could do (49.3% - 58.1%). Moonblast is slightly STRONGER than Pixalate Hyper Voice.

Proof that people hack in rated Battles.

Want to see Proof? Request the videos.

*Edit* Before people dump the stupid questions, Yes, my Sylveon has perfect 31 IV stats to HP, Def, SpA, SpD, Speed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Just found proof that this is a lie. I just created a Sylveon with 252 EV to special attack and modest nature and hit Moonblast with choice specs. Guess what happened? It did roughly 30% damage to the same exact Lapras that you claim that it could do (49.3% - 58.1%). Moonblast is slightly STRONGER than Pixalate Hyper Voice.

*Edit* Before people dump the stupid questions, Yes, my Sylveon has perfect 31 IV stats to HP, Def, SpA, SpD, Speed.
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lapras: 124-147 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lapras: 153-181 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

Also, just for future reference:
    https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
    Prevents you from taking a ton of time, breeding and testing stuff, just so you can accuse people of cheating.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

last time I checked ~30% is not more than 49.3%

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    last time I checked ~30% is not more than 49.3%

So. . . . Doing 30% of the Pokemon's max HP is way more than doing 49.3% of it's max HP? Somehow, your math is off.

30% < 49.3%

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lapras: 124-147 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lapras: 153-181 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

Also, just for future reference:
    https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
    Prevents you from taking a ton of time, breeding and testing stuff, just so you can accuse people of cheating.

No assault vest on this Lapras, you lose.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So. . . . Doing 30% of the Pokemon's max HP is way more than doing 49.3% of it's max HP? Somehow, your math is off.

Juxapose said:
    It did roughly 30% damage
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 229-270 (49.3 - 58.1%)
    Juxapose said:
    Moonblast is slightly STRONGER than Pixalate Hyper Voice.

you're the one who said that Moonblast (30%) is stronger than Pixilated Hyper Voice (49%), not me

No assault vest on this Lapras, you lose.

Without AV:
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 186-219 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 229-270 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    None of these still equal 30%. Lose again.
    Regardless of whether or not the Moonblast calc equals 30% or not, Pixilated Hyper Voice does more damage than Moonblast does. You were claiming that Moonblast does more damage than Pixilated Hyper Voice.

Moonblast: 95(base power) x 1.5(STAB)= 142.5

Pixilated Hyper Voice: 90(base power) x 1.3(Pixilate boost) x 1.5(STAB)= 175.5

And did you hit the Lapras with Hyper Voice too to compare? How do you know that didn't have an AV?

Or are we talking about something else?

But what's the battle video code? Cuz I bet that'll clear everything up.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Regardless of whether or not the Moonblast calc equals 30% or not, Pixilated Hyper Voice does more damage than Moonblast does. You were claiming that Moonblast does more damage than Pixilated Hyper Voice.

Moonblast: 95(base power) x 1.5(STAB)= 142.5

Pixilated Hyper Voice: 90(base power) x 1.3(Pixilate boost) x 1.5(STAB)= 175.5

Where does it claim that moves affected by Pixalate have any boost? All pixalate does is change the Normal type moves to Fairy. No other bonus is stated anywhere.

And did you hit the Lapras with Hyper Voice too to compare? How do you know that didn't have an AV?

Because the Lapras belongs to me, and I know what it was equipped with. I had it equipped with a Lucky Egg during the test to avoid any damage modifications.

But what's the battle video code? Cuz I bet that'll clear everything up.

Gladly:

WD9W-WWWW-WW2H-TFB8
    Battle in question

828W-WWWW-WWH2-TF2E
    Test Battle. Both Characters, Pokemon, And 3DS's belong to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Where does it claim that moves affected by Pixalate have any boost? All pixalate does is change the Normal type moves to Fairy. No other bonus is stated anywhere.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pixilate_(Ability)

WD9W-WWWW-WW2H-TFB8
    Battle in question

Ok, so in this one, your Lapras has 237 HP. And it gets dropped down to 99 HP from the Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice, meaning it took 138 damage. 138/237= 0.582 which = 58.2% damage....which is within the possible damage range the calculator calculates: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 120-142 (50.6 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

828W-WWWW-WW2H-TF2E
    Test Battle. Both Characters, Pokemon, And 3DS's belong to me.
    And then in this one, Lapras drops from 237 to 137 after being hit by Moonblast, taking 100 points of damage. 100/237= 0.421 which is 42.1%.....which is also within the range the calculator shows: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 97-115 (40.9 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So the calcs shown to you the other day are indeed accurate.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pixilate_(Ability)

Ok, so in this one, your Lapras has 237 HP. And it gets dropped down to 99 HP from the Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice, meaning it took 138 damage. 138/237= 0.582 which = 58.2% damage....which is within the possible damage range the calculator calculates: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 120-142 (50.6 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And then in this one, Lapras drops from 237 to 137 after being hit by Moonblast, taking 100 points of damage. 100/237= 0.421 which is 42.1%.....which is also within the range the calculator shows: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Lapras: 97-115 (40.9 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So the calcs shown to you the other day are indeed accurate.

I see your point now. Apparently, the game forgot to add that boost to the ability's description, and I had no idea that Pixalate had a 30% boost to normal moves. If I knew that, then I would not have questioned Sylveon's power. I would have definitely took 30% + 50% bonus to Sylveon's power before calculating normal damage. This is also the first time that I have encountered a Sylveon of this build before today, and I have fought countless of them despite being an OU tank. Thank you for clearing this up, I am certain that I can be much more prepared from now on against this foe and any Pokemon using this ability.

Anti

return of the king
    Years

You lose.

lol seriously though, i am really not trying to start a fight here, but was all the snide "you lose" bullshit (simulated above) really necessary? maybe you would have figured out the mystery of pixilate sooner if you weren't devoting so much time railroading your own topic with rude one-liners. it's not a huge deal or anything, but like, can't we all just get along? please?

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    You lose.

lol seriously though, i am really not trying to start a fight here, but was all the snide "you lose" bullmuk (simulated above) really necessary? maybe you would have figured out the mystery of pixilate sooner if you weren't devoting so much time railroading your own topic with rude one-liners. it's not a huge deal or anything, but like, can't we all just get along? please?

I don't like to be rude, but I do get sick and tired of the immature and rude answers from the forum when I am trying to understand certain things. Answers like:

OMG, Sylveon Uber, you Noob, lern to play!

Are not helpful. I know that these are not the exact words being used, but once you remove all the sugar and spice, this is what it comes off as.

Anyway, next topic:

I want to make a new Tyrantrum, but I am beat up against two builds. A Dragon Dance Tyrantrum, or a Assault Vest Tank Tyrantrum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And please, don't be a pest and write answers like:

OMG, Tyrantrum sucks, your a noob!

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Assault Vest Tyrantrum has no use and will only be detrimental to any team it is placed on. If you want to use a Dragon Dance set you would be best off using the one listed below:

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
    Ability: Rock Head
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Head Smash
    - Dragon Claw / Outrage
    - Earthquake / Fire Fang

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't like to be rude, but I do get sick and tired of the immature and rude answers from the forum when I am trying to understand certain things. Answers like:

Are not helpful. I know that these are not the exact words being used, but once you remove all the sugar and spice, this is what it comes off as.

Anyway, next topic:

I want to make a new Tyrantrum, but I am beat up against two builds. A Dragon Dance Tyrantrum, or a Assault Vest Tank Tyrantrum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And please, don't be a pest and write answers like:
    Tyrantrum is viable, but you have to be aware of its common weaknesses. Dragon Dance is the superior option out of the two, as not even Assault Vest can save Tyrantrum's middling special bulk:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Head Smash
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Assault Vest Tyrantrum has no use and will only be detrimental to any team it is placed on. If you want to use a Dragon Dance set you would be best of using the one listed below:

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Head Smash
    - Dragon Claw / Outrage
    - Earthquake / Fire Fang

Interesting Build, but as far as a Tyrantrum, I was looking at this build:

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Strong Jaw
    EVs: 252HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Rock Tomb
    - Dragon Claw
    - Poison Fang
    - Ice Fang

Allow me to post these Calculations:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum in Sand through Light Screen: 37-45 (10 - 12.2%) -- possible 9HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Poison Fang vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 258-304 (128.3 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum through Reflect: 90-106 (47.6 - 56%) -- 81.3% chance to 2HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 136-160 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I like these Numbers, and I have the perfect supporter who can cast screens and Sandstorm.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Well that seems like a very convoluted scenario but I suppose that you can use that if you want. However, I will point out that those calculations are incorrect.

Sylveon vs Tyrantrum:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum in Sand through Light Screen: 135-160 (36.6 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Poison Fang vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 134-158 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

You lose here unless you somehow magically have both Sandstorm and Light Screen up...however you cannot switch the Tyrantrum into Sylveon so you still lose.

Garchomp vs Tyrantrum:

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum through Reflect: 185-218 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 252-300 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you actually lose here when you factor in Rough Skin.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Well that seems like a very convoluted scenario but I suppose that you can use that if you want. However, I will point out that those calculations are incorrect.

Sylveon vs Tyrantrum:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum in Sand through Light Screen: 135-160 (36.6 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Poison Fang vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 134-158 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

You lose here unless you somehow magically have both Sandstorm and Light Screen up...however you cannot switch the Tyrantrum into Sylveon so you still lose.

Garchomp vs Tyrantrum:

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum through Reflect: 185-218 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 252-300 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you actually lose here when you factor in Rough Skin.

Not sure how the calculations got screwed up, Need to look into this a little more. But thanks.

*Edit*

Got It!

0+ Atk Tyrantrum Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 112-132 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

I would also like to point out that Tyrantrum is slightly faster.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Not sure how the calculations got screwed up, Need to look into this a little more. But thanks.

You calced using a level 50 Sylveon and level 100 Tyrantrum. Make sure that your levels are the same when calcing!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Interesting Build, but as far as a Tyrantrum, I was looking at this build:

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Strong Jaw
    EVs: 252HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Rock Tomb
    - Dragon Claw
    - Poison Fang
    - Ice Fang

Allow me to post these Calculations:

I like these Numbers, and I have the perfect supporter who can cast screens and Sandstorm.
    This Tyrantrum set isn't worth it as I already mentioned. You're wasting away Tyrantrum's niche of recoil-free Head Smashes. Even with Strong Jaw, Poison Fang still does less damage to Fairies than a neutral Head Smash. Fire Fang is only good against Ferrothorn and Scizor, while Ice Fang is redundant with Tyrantrum's Dragon STAB. While Rock Tomb can slow down opponents, it's not good as a main STAB attack because of its low base power, and Tyrantrum can fix its average Speed with Dragon Dance or Rock Polish anyway. The heavy specially defensive investment also makes Tyrantrum sorely miss out on plenty of power.

Calcs to prove my point about Poison Fang (and this is for 0 Attack investment, and max Attack investment, respectively, with a neutral nature):

0 Atk Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Poison Fang vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 94-112 (46.7 - 55.7%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 141-166 (70.1 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Poison Fang vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 116-138 (57.7 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 172-204 (85.5 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Assault Vest is for those Pokemon who have some of the following: good HP and/or Special Defense, defensive utility that doesn't come from status moves, and defensive typing. Tyrantrum doesn't really fulfill any of these. Here are some better Assault Vest users and why they're generally better users of said item than Tyrantrum:
    -Conkeldurr has good physical bulk, but its low Special Defense makes it susceptible to special attacks. Assault Vest allows it to patch up this weakness. It also has offensive recovery in Drain Punch.
    -Azumarill has a good defensive typing in Water/Fairy, and decent bulk all-round, and pretty much the only status move it uses is Belly Drum, but that's a different story.
    -Therian Tornadus may have sweeper-oriented stats, but it has the Regenerator ability to compensate for its lack of recovery moves.

https://www.smogon.com/smog/issue35/assault-vest This article should go more in-depth on what (not) to use Assault Vest on.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 172-204 (85.5 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I understand your point, but you forget Head Smash's two flaws, it's unreliable accuracy and recoil. At 80% accuracy, this can really make the difference between winning the battle and losing it. I don't really like using the ability Rock Head because of the drop in power of the Fang moves such as Ice Fang. When dealing with opponents 4x weak to ice (you know which ones are), that moves needs the power. Which means that Head Smash will be doing recoil, and I would rather use Rock Tomb's Speed drop utility than a potential suicide mission. I already took Poison Fang off the plate, and replaced it with Iron Head. Iron Head deals with Fairies very well, has the chance to Flinch opponents slower than Tyrantrum, and has 100% accuracy.

But just for kicks, I will make one of each. A Dragon Dance Tyrantrum and a Bulky Tyrantrum (Assault Vested or not, all that matters is setting up screens and Sandstorm which I am pretty good at) to see which version does better in Rated Battles (Not Pokemon Showdown, and no limit of Smogon rules).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I understand your point, but you forget Head Smash's two flaws, it's unreliable accuracy and recoil. At 80% accuracy, this can really make the difference between winning the battle and losing it. I don't really like using the ability Rock Head because of the drop in power of the Fang moves such as Ice Fang. When dealing with opponents 4x weak to ice (you know which ones are), that moves needs the power. Which means that Head Smash will be doing recoil, and I would rather use Rock Tomb's Speed drop utility than a potential suicide mission. I already took Poison Fang off the plate, and replaced it with Iron Head. Iron Head deals with Fairies very well, has the chance to Flinch opponents slower than Tyrantrum, and has 100% accuracy.

But just for kicks, I will make one of each. A Dragon Dance Tyrantrum and a Bulky Tyrantrum (Assault Vested or not, all that matters is setting up screens and Sandstorm which I am pretty good at) to see which version does better in Rated Battles (Not Pokemon Showdown, and no limit of Smogon rules).
    The recoil is a non-issue thanks to Rock Head (the ability that prevents recoil damage), which I already explained in my set and the post after that. If I must repeat myself more clearly, Tyrantrum's main niche is recoil-free Head Smashes thanks to Rock Head. Yes, Head Smash is inaccurate too, but forgoing Head Smash entirely wastes away Tyrantrum's niche, and you're better off using something else as a Dragon Dancer.

Iron Head is still weaker vs. Fairies than Head Smash, especially when unboosted.

252 Atk Tyrantrum Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 124-146 (61.6 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 172-204 (85.5 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (repeated for emphasis)

Edit: I suggest looking through each Pokemon's stats, moves, and abilities more carefully while making sets, so you're much more informed about that Pokemon's niche(s).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back