• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • My Diancie Stats!

My Diancie's Nature: Sassy
    Maximum IV's in: Attack, Special Attack, and Special Defense

Poor IV's in:
    HP stat:115
    Defense: 155
    Speed: 54

Should I make it a trick room sweeper or a Stealth Rock Dual Screen tank?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd say don't bother with that Diancie, as its Mega form is the sole reason it's even used in the first place. The thing about Mega Diancie is that it's significantly faster than its regular form, while maintaining decent bulk. It also has Magic Bounce so it isn't screwed over by Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp or Toxic, among other statuses.

Years
  • I kind of wish I got a Hasty or Naive Nature one now. lol

But I might lean on it as a special defense tank, idk I just don't want to give up on it. Lol

Years
  • Question about IV's

Hey guys, I've been playing Pokemon all my life but this is the first time that I'm seriously focusing on EV training and IV breeding.

After an hour of breeding, I have successfully breeded a Froakie with 5 perfect IV's, all of them except Special Defense. His nature is Modest and I don't plan on increasing his Attack stat. After I calculated the Special Defense IV's, it turned out that the highest IV it can go to is 2!

What should I do? Should I just continue to increase it's EV points?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey guys, I've been playing Pokemon all my life but this is the first time that I'm seriously focusing on EV training and IV breeding.

After an hour of breeding, I have successfully breeded a Froakie with 5 perfect IV's, all of them except Special Defense. His nature is Modest and I don't plan on increasing his Attack stat. After I calculated the Special Defense IV's, it turned out that the highest IV it can go to is 2!

What should I do? Should I just continue to increase it's EV points?

FYI, Timid is the preferred nature on Greninja, as with Modest, stuff like Lati@s and Alakazam outspeed it. You can use Naive, however, if you plan on giving Greninja Gunk Shot and/or Low Kick in OR/AS. IMO, defensive IVs don't matter on a frail Pokemon like Greninja.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Let's try the battle center, now...

Real quick, do you guys think this is worth it? Would it be worth the effort to EV train my Avalugg, whose DEF stat is 184 but whose SP. DEF stat is only 46 (look at Bulbapedia), in SP. DEF and breed her to have a personality that boosts SP. DEF at the cost of speed? Or is that 46 just too little to work with?

Basically: if a stat is under 50-60, is it worth it to try and raise it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Let's try the battle center, now...

Real quick, do you guys think this is worth it? Would it be worth the effort to EV train my Avalugg, whose DEF stat is 184 but whose SP. DEF stat is only 46 (look at Bulbapedia), in SP. DEF and breed her to have a personality that boosts SP. DEF at the cost of speed? Or is that 46 just too little to work with?

Basically: if a stat is under 50-60, is it worth it to try and raise it?
    Careful or Impish should be the nature to use for Avalugg, since its Special Attack is terrible.

Anyway, regarding Careful vs. Impish, the latter lets Avalugg tank as many physical hits as possible, while the former lets it take special attacks a bit better, but not by much.

For your second question, let's look at Crawdaunt. It has a base Speed of 55, but it maxes that stat out with an Adamant nature so it can outspeed as many walls as possible to make its wallbreaking capabilities easier. That, and it's frail anyways.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2014
    Recommended Moves?

I did wonder trade recently and got lv100 shiny pikachu. I need a recommended moveset, if i should change ability and item.

Nature:Jolly
    Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
    Hp:212
    Atk:209
    Df:116
    SpAtk:95
    SpDf:136
    Speed:306
    Ability:Lightning Rod

Current Moves are Iron Tail, Volt switch, Dig, and volt tackle. Item is Light ball.

Not sure if it makes a difference but should i evolve him into Raichu?

Thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I did wonder trade recently and got lv100 shiny pikachu. I need a recommended moveset, if i should change ability and item.

Nature:Jolly
    Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
    Hp:212
    Atk:209
    Df:116
    SpAtk:95
    SpDf:136
    Speed:306
    Ability:Lightning Rod

Current Moves are Iron Tail, Volt switch, Dig, and volt tackle. Item is Light ball.

Not sure if it makes a difference but should i evolve him into Raichu?

Thanks
    You can't change the ability of a Pokemon. It's better for a Pikachu to go special to get better usage out of Lightning Rod.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    I recently obtained an x cartridge from a friend that contained his collection of dittos that he used for breeding. Long story short, I'm wondering what a good moveset for a physical zangoose could be.

Edit: 31 IVs in all but sp.at
    EVs: 252 att, 252 spd, 6 hp
    Adamant nature

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I recently obtained an x cartridge from a friend that contained his collection of dittos that he used for breeding. Long story short, I'm wondering what a good moveset for a physical zangoose could be.

Zangoose's best set involves abusing Toxic Orb to power up its attacks thanks to Toxic Boost, which increases the user's Attack when poisoned:
    -Facade
    -Close Combat
    -Knock Off
    -Quick Attack/Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Boost

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How does Knock Off work in regards to the Blue Orb and Red Orb? Are they treated like Mega Stones, or are they treated like other items?

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    It wouldn't matter as the stones take immediate effect as soon as battle starts. It seems unlikely that groudon and Kyogre would revert back if knockoff was used

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It wouldn't matter as the stones take immediate effect as soon as battle starts. It seems unlikely that groudon and Kyogre would revert back if knockoff was used

Are you sure about this? I think that the Red and Blue Orbs behave like Mega Stones; they can't be taken away from the holder.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    Are you sure about this? I think that the Red and Blue Orbs behave like Mega Stones; they can't be taken away from the holder.
    Positive. As soon as groudon/Kyogre come into battle and they have the orb, they go to primal form immediately. I haven't ever tried using knockoff on a primal one, but it seems unlikely to work

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Mega Blaziken vs. Acrobatics

Since I brought my Blaziken to Y, I tried Mega-evolving him, and while it was nice, it interferes with his Acrobatics move. I'm not a competitive player, so I'm good with the moveset he has now, I just want to know which is better: Full-potential Acrobatics, or Mega-ing? Is there some formula about his attack increase when mega evolving compared to Acrobatic's normal increase?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Acrobatics isn't worth using as much as it used to because Flying Gem is unavailable in Gen VI. Unfortunately, Mega Stones aren't consumable items, so you're better off Mega Evolving Blaziken ASAP instead of trying to abuse Acrobatics.

Here's the standard (Mega) Blaziken set if you're curious:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Knock Off/Protect
    -Swords Dance/Protect
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Blazikenite/Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost

Acrobatics isn't listed anywhere on this set because Blaziken isn't the kind of Pokemon that relies on consumable items to be effective.

Here are some calcs to show that Acrobatics isn't useful on Mega Blaziken, as its Mega Stone remains even after Mega Evolution:

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 262-310 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 285-336 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 175-207 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 162-192 (46.1 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

All damage calculations done with Pokemon Showdown's damage calculator

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I am thinking of getting a clefable, but I really don't know what moves/ability/evs to run.

Excluding softboiled, at least since I have no access to gen 3 move tutors.
    I'm thinking cleric support mostly, so maybe wish/aromatherapy then moonblast/stealth rock?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back