• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
  • Which pokemon is the better water type pokemon? Kingdra, Lapras, or Gyarados? I was told that Gyarados has the better moveset of the three, is this true? Thank you!

I would say that instead of looking for the very best of every type, that you should try some Pokemon out and see which ones work well together. Lapras is good because it's bulky and gets access to Freeze Dry, and that makes it ideal for taking out some of the dual-typed Pokemon that would normally only have a single weakness (Swampert and Quagsire to Grass, for example). However, the trade-off for Lapras is a weakness to both Fighting and Rock-type moves, which are both pretty ubiquitous, the latter presenting a problem with the entry hazard move Stealth Rock.

Gyarados does have a really good move pool, both offensively and defensively, the latter of which tends to catch people off-guard. Also, since it's a stand-up mon before mega evolution, you can get creative about your timing with mega evolving to evade critical weaknesses that it loses and gains when it switches to Water/Dark typing. Also, it's an absolute horror on the field after a couple Dragon Dances, and it gets access to substitute to ensure that it gets to set those up.

Kingdra is a popular choice for spamming critical hits, and breaking walls in Rain. I haven't encountered very many in Battle Spot, which is my main meta, but that doesn't mean it's a Pokemon without its strengths.

And in regards to your question about the very best ghost the other day, I think a case can be made for Sableye. It might not be much to look at, but access to Prankster, Will-o-Wisp, Recover, and Taunt, as well as only having a single weakness in the Fairy type make it an awesome defensive monster.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I am running a rock head+ head smash Aggron, and I wanted to know what EVs I should invest into other than attack, as Aggron's speed is, well Rubbish, thanks in advance

Just saying, Mega Aggron is now the reason to use Aggron itself, due to its good bulk, typing and Filter ability.

But if you insist, you run max Speed on Aggron; this lets it get the jump ahead of 0 Speed Milotic and slower if it's using Choice Band, and also lets it make the most out of Rock Polish/Autotomize should you choose to run that.

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • Just saying, Mega Aggron is now the reason to use Aggron itself, due to its good bulk, typing and Filter ability.

But if you insist, you run max Speed on Aggron; this lets it get the jump ahead of 0 Speed Milotic and slower if it's using Choice Band, and also lets it make the most out of Rock Polish/Autotomize should you choose to run that.
    What's a good M-Aggron set then?

Years
  • What's a good M-Aggron set then?

Here are some sets you can try.

- Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Heavy Slam / Iron Head
    - Earthquake / Ice Punch
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy

- Stealth Rock
    - Heavy Slam / Iron Head
    - Ice Punch / Thunder Wave
    - Earthquake / Rock Slide
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD

Those above two sets are OU-based according to Smogon, but if you're into playing UU there's this one:

- Heavy Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar / Toxic
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • What's a good M-Aggron set then?

Aggron @ Aggronite
    Trait: Rock Head / Sturdy / whatever
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpD
    Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock
    - Heavy Slam
    - Ice Punch
    - Rock Slide / Earthquake

heavy slam is the main stab move.
    ice punch + 96 atk evs to ohko garchomp and 2hko every lando-t after SR damage.
    rock slide punishes talonflame and 2hkoes zard x. if heatran and magnezone are troublesome, use EQ.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2015
    Competitive play language

Okay so i've been a fan since blue and ted but i was kind of a casual gamer, some guy recently introduced me to competitive play and i'm lost i got to admit.
    I'm searching the net and see all these "NU/OU/UU" and don't know ehat that means. Someone can explain me these please.

Oh and i try to build up a baton pass team but i can't figure out how do i teach one tm to 5 pokemon, how can i have 5 substitute and 5 baton pass?

Im new on the forum so pardon me if theres already a thread elsewhere to discuss this.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • OU = Overused, the standard tier
    UU = Underused, where the underused Pokemon are used
    NU = Neverused; this is mainly filled with Pokemon outclassed in OU

TMs are reusable as of Gen V.

Baton Pass isn't a TM. Some Pokemon learn it by level-up, others by breeding. Substitute is a TM that can be taught to any Pokemon that can learn TMs.

List of Pokemon who can learn Baton Pass

As of Gen VI, only one Pokemon can have Baton Pass on a team per Smogon rules.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • This is the Milotic I used in BW. Is this still viable? Can I opt to use Competitive over Marvel Scale? Are there other moves/held items I should consider?

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Ice Beam
    - Dragon Tail

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • This is the Milotic I used in BW. Is this still viable? Can I opt to use Competitive over Marvel Scale? Are there other moves/held items I should consider?

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Ice Beam
    - Dragon Tail
    This is still the standard set in Gen VI, though Haze is an option over Dragon Tail.

Competitive is better on offensive sets, but I highly doubt that those are effective.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Little thing I've been wondering.....why is Black Kyurem often called "Cube"?

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    I've always been wondering about competitive battling.
    My primary question is, with so many perfect and even perfect event pokemon, do people hack or pokegen their pokemon even in the competitive scene?

In addition, can you pokegen a pokemon (i.e. 6v ditto) and get away with it in the game without failing Pokemon organized Play's hack check?

Years
  • Just a quick question.

So I've been using a Talonflame lately, and I've noticed two major counters to it - Excadrill and Mega Slowbro. I was wondering, what's a better nature for it, Jolly or Adamant?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Just a quick question.

So I've been using a Talonflame lately, and I've noticed two major counters to it - Excadrill and Mega Slowbro. I was wondering, what's a better nature for it, Jolly or Adamant?

Excadrill doesn't counter Talonflame because it doesn't like switching into Flare Blitz. Talonflame also outspeeds Sand Rush variants outside of sandstorm. Other counters to Talonflame include Rhyperior, Wash Rotom and Heatran.

Jolly is preferred for a Swords Dance set, while Adamant is preferred on the Choice Band set.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I'm looking for a build for a mixed Kyurem. It will be neither Kyurem Black nor Kyurem White exclusively, I'm looking for one that I can swap between white and black at whim and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it. A big thing is as soon as midnight hits I'm going to go catch it so I want to know what nature to go for as soon as possible.

My initial thought was a Naive (or Hasty) nature, max Evs for Att and Sp Att and the rest in Speed, (again, because I want to have a mixed Kyurem for either black or white forms) so is there another nature I should be going for instead for a mixed Kyurem or is Naive/Hasty fine? (I'll likely be going Naive unless there's some reason to go Hasty) Thanks for advice!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I'm looking for a build for a mixed Kyurem. It will be neither Kyurem Black nor Kyurem White exclusively, I'm looking for one that I can swap between white and black at whim and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it. A big thing is as soon as midnight hits I'm going to go catch it so I want to know what nature to go for as soon as possible.

My initial thought was a Naive (or Hasty) nature, max Evs for Att and Sp Att and the rest in Speed, (again, because I want to have a mixed Kyurem for either black or white forms) so is there another nature I should be going for instead for a mixed Kyurem or is Naive/Hasty fine? (I'll likely be going Naive unless there's some reason to go Hasty) Thanks for advice!
    Using a Hasty/Naive nature with little to no Speed investment is a big waste. Generally, going for only one forme is best, but if you insist:
    -Outrage
    -Ice Beam/Substitute (White for Ice Beam, Black for Substitute)
    -Fusion Flare/Fusion Bolt (depending on form)
    -Earth Power
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    ^You can use Ice Beam on mixed Black Kyurem too.

Anyone know any good Seviper sets?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ^You can use Ice Beam on mixed Black Kyurem too.

Anyone know any good Seviper sets?
    Seviper isn't exactly the best Pokemon, but here goes. Its slowness and frailness don't exactly go hand-in-hand:
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Flamethrower
    -Giga Drain
    -Sucker Punch
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Reactions: Nah
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back