• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Language Is

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    English. Been able to understand Spanish since a young age because of my mom though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    Cantonese as well, although I learned it almost simultaneously as English - my parents mostly speak Chinese but my brothers mostly speak English, plus we had a housekeeper who spoke English to me before I started preschool so I was always bilingual for as long as I remember. I can definitely hold a conversation in Cantonese and read traditional Chinese relatively well, but I know my writing has suffered since it's not something I need to use very regularly, since "graduating" Chinese weekend classes when I was like 14-15.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    English. I don't know any other language besides a few words in French, and that was because of the required language course in highschool.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2023
    I was raised by my grandparents and they somehow can understand me when I speaks gibberish as a kid before I learn their language so apparently it's my first language.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    Born and raised in Australia I spoke English, and at home I was raised speaking Teo Chew and Mandarin (also went to school to learn Mandarin for 8 years). Right now we only speak Teo Chew though, I'm losing the Mandarin but I wish it was the other way around. Teo Chew is useless compared to Mandarin lol. I've also lived in Japan and went to class there for over a year, so I learnt a lot through the full immersion with formal lessons.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Canadian/British English! Although, my maternal grandmother grew up speaking Russian and so from an early age she taught me how to pronounce certain words and then proceeded to teach me prayers and songs, so I have a limited understanding of the language. I also know a bit of Metropolitan French and I plan on studying the language thoroughly once in University. At some point I'd love to learn Mandarin or Japanese as well!

Years
  • English. Never grew up around any other languages sadly.

As for other language capabilities I have conversational level Mandarin and that's it.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • I'm a bit of a language nerd but I was raised speaking English. I have dabbled in so many languages it's almost embarrassing but the ones I currently know (to any degree) in decreasing order of proficiency are:
    • English
    • French
    • Swedish
    • German
    • Japanese
    • Norwegian
    • Dutch
    • Irish
    • Mandarin

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    English, but I was raised around Spanish and Japanese, and have also taught myself more than what I learned through family / friends.

Also, my grandpa would speak random German, since that's what he was, and so I've dabbled in that too. I love languages sdffdf

I took French in high school, but I lasted one whole semester, damnnn.

Last edited:
    Back