• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My wallet will be crying...

Years
  • Having easy access to a credit card can be rather dangerous, especially when it comes to online shopping whether for clothes, gadgets, video games, you name it. Do you find yourself purchasing items online often?

Ever since getting one (credit card) and attaching that to PayPal, I wouldn't necessarily say that I've been spending frivolously and mindlessly without a care in the world, but knowing that I have been making my own money for the last 3 months has got me browsing online shops more often than before...Parents probably still think I'm using my older sister's credit card to pay for things, but in reality, I'm the one paying for everything ;-;

Not to the mention the amount of digital games that have been bought from the PSN store. Been too lazy to drive myself to the nearest game store for physical copies, even though I do prefer them over digital, but the struggle of putting on pants prevents me from doing so.

pkmin3033

I find myself spending far more than I should, but only in short bursts. I can buy six or seven games over the space of three weeks, then get nothing for a month or so; it all depends on the release date. I don't buy much else asides from the occasional book, DVD or present for someone else, so thankfully my spending isn't as horrifying as it could be.

But...oh yes, it's far too easy to just buy something online for me, and I don't even have a credit card. Mostly because a credit card would make it even easier and I'd dig myself a serious hole without even realising it in all probability. Well, perhaps not, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry, as I have been known to get carried away if a lot that I want is coming out at around the same time...

Years
  • I usually get about 100 dollars or less of digital or online things. Mainly Video Games. Sometimes I will buy a physical game if I prefer it physical or it's on my spaceless Wii U.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I hardly buy anything online. I don't believe I made a purchase since my last item, the District 9 poster I was talking about a while ago. I just prefer to do my shopping in real life, and even then, I don't go often. My walls still look a little bare, however, so I'll look for posters and stuff while I'm out. I guess I'll do some online shopping if I know exactly what I'm looking for. Otherwise, I've had some bad purchases in the past, and would just rather not risk it.

Alright, I can't help but showing off the poster, haha. The photo makes it looks small, but it's forty inches tall:
    Spoiler:

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • When there's a steam sale on I can already feel my wallet crying even though I haven't bought anything yet xD

But seriously, I'm usually good - especially at the end of the year when my card eftpos and debit cards are already low on cash.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I pay for everything using a credit card- even say, a magazine in a newsstand nearby, because it saves me the trouble of carrying cash on me. I heavily dislike paying for things in cash- when I lived in Argentina, it was horrible, because I needed to carry hundreds of pesos in notes every day just for lunch and dinner and over a thousand for grocery shopping. When I was paid, once every month, I got over AR$16,000 in $100 notes- I was so terrified until I could get home and hide all that money under the bed. Never again, please.

At this point I have developed a level of self-control to make sure I don't spend more than I absolutely should. After all, here I get receipts in my own bank account, unlike cash purchases that are much harder to keep track of. I aim to never keep over 20€ in cash in my wallet.

Lucid

I have some cards and spend entirely too much all the time. Most of it is impulse buys clothes and media related. I never carry cash. While I'm not in horrible dept, my identity has been stolen twice. I waste a lot on itunes.

Years
  • You don't need a credit card to purchase online. For a number of years I had a direct debit card because I didn't want to run the risk of overspending and accruing interest when I was not earning much.

Credit cards have a lot if perks if you pay them off every month. I have made money off my credit cards as I don't pay a yearly fee and always pay them off each month. I turned all the points I was getting in to gift cards to department stores.

My spending habits have only slightly changed to account for the payment cycles. We keep tabs on a particular months credit card bill and will withhold spending until the next cycle if we can. So long as you're on top of them they're great.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I purchase things online almost always, really, haha.

I'm not sure about others, but to me, it sometimes seems to be more easy to find offers and deals online in comparison to actual stores. I've checked out a desktop computer last month at a local PC Richards shop, for example, but when viewing the same item on Amazon, the price seemed to have been around fifty to eighty dollars less, which is a lot. Same happened while checking prices of a Bluetooth speaker.

When buying clothes, though, I usually avoid online stores and visit real ones, so that I'd be able to wear them and see how they fit, look on me, etc.

Years
  • I find myself spending far more than I should, but only in short bursts. I can buy six or seven games over the space of three weeks, then get nothing for a month or so; it all depends on the release date. I don't buy much else asides from the occasional book, DVD or present for someone else, so thankfully my spending isn't as horrifying as it could be.

I often go through those phases of purchasing everything at once as well. Somehow, makes me feel less guilty, haha, but then it comes back once I check my bank account balance later on to pay ;-;

Considering the fact that most items that I want are really only available online, yes. However, I'm not so much of a frequent online shopper; I also live near my local mall which really helps as far as overall shopping convenience goes (gaming-wise, that is). But if I'm feeling especially lazy, then I turn to online shopping as a good alternative, especially for specific items that I'd have somewhat of a difficult time finding in stores.

Living near the mall can be dangerous for some. I live about a 5 minute drive from the nearest one, but rarely frequent it because most of the stores aren't worth the time and effort getting there. And being one who's known to be especially lazy, saves tons of time for other important things, like being a hermit and gaming c:

I hardly buy anything online. I don't believe I made a purchase since my last item, the District 9 poster I was talking about a while ago. I just prefer to do my shopping in real life, and even then, I don't go often. My walls still look a little bare, however, so I'll look for posters and stuff while I'm out. I guess I'll do some online shopping if I know exactly what I'm looking for. Otherwise, I've had some bad purchases in the past, and would just rather not risk it.

Alright, I can't help but showing off the poster, haha. The photo makes it looks small, but it's forty inches tall:
    Spoiler:

That reminds me, there were some nifty looking watercolour posters I found around Etsy...-eyes credit card-

When there's a steam sale on I can already feel my wallet crying even though I haven't bought anything yet xD

Steam sales are the death of many gamers' wallets, you're not alone. I would probably have bought more than what I already have in my Steam library if not for the fact that I'm using OS X so there's a limited amount of games that are both available on the OS and interest me, so I guess that's a good thing, haha.

You don't need a credit card to purchase online. For a number of years I had a direct debit card because I didn't want to run the risk of overspending and accruing interest when I was not earning much.

I've always been iffy about using debit cards to purchase things online. It just never appeared as the safest method...That and my sister drilled into my head that I should use credit cards whenever possible just in case anything goes wrong.

I'm not sure about others, but to me, it sometimes seems to be more easy to find offers and deals online in comparison to actual stores. I've checked out a desktop computer last month at a local PC Richards shop, for example, but when viewing the same item on Amazon, the price seemed to have been around fifty to eighty dollars less, which is a lot. Same happened while checking prices of a Bluetooth speaker.

When buying clothes, though, I usually avoid online stores and visit real ones, so that I'd be able to wear them and see how they fit, look on me, etc.

I find that there's always better selection and sales online versus in-stores, particularly with clothing stores. I frequently buy my clothes from Forever21 and the different in prices and their clothing selection is plentiful compared to their stores, it's ridiculous. Or maybe it's cause I live in Canada and everything has better stuff in the US...

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I'm a royal mizer. I hardly spend money on anything, but when I have the want and opportunity I'll drop mad cash on something good. Once in a blue moon, though.

Honestly I hardly have any semblance of my own finances, and most of the money I've received has gone to PC because I've never had enough at once to buy anything I need. My mother likes to bum money from me when she has her own, and hasn't been giving me any money to save or spend or what... so it's hard to say I'm a "shopper" in any sense. I don't even have a bed or any winter blankets, no way to get around, let alone "free spending cash." I don't own my own PC and could lose internet if she gets spiteful :P

I'd love to buy things like watercolour posters. I really love decorating and working with aesthetics.

Years
  • I'd love to buy things like watercolour posters. I really love decorating and working with aesthetics.

I've found lovely watercolour posters that were based on video games on Etsy and was tempted to buy them, but no wall space ;-; Alternative would be to buy it for my boyfriend but not sure he's the type of have those in his room. Guess that keeps me from spending even more, haha.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I love buying things to make my flat my own, and I also enjoy indulging on computery things. And I often overspend. But I don't have a credit card, and have zero debt, so I am happy with that. The only problem I have is being unable to budget.

Two words: DJ Sona. One week's worth of allowance for something that's worth it </3

Yep, I know the feeling! Though it wasn't one weeks allowance for me (I don't get that anymore) it was more like one week's food lmao!

Yukari

The only thing I buy online are video games. They're so much cheaper on Steam.

Years
  • I don't think I've ever had the problem of wanting to go wild online with my card. Although, while I don't do this anymore, at one point I would keep like less than a hundred dollars in my checking account at any given point (with some exceptions if I was buying something more expensive), so that I absolutely had to be careful with how much I spent or I would risk getting hit with a nice charge. Yeah, I learned fast not to spend a lot at once ah ha.

So even now, especially with online stuff, I can't spend too much or I'll start feeling bad about it. It's mostly video games I've been buying online, anyway. Most other things I don't even think about grabbing online, I tend to just wait a few days and then go to an actual store. But even so, I can only buy a few of those - or anything else, really- at a time before I tell myself to stop right now. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    It really depends on an individual month if something I like is released etc. Sometimes I'll find myself buying a couple of items, other times I don't buy anything at all. But yes, I do have access to a 'pre-paid' card and I mostly just buy CD's with it.

Years
  • I'm generally really miserly. Though lately I've been splurging on eBay. I tend to buy things I absolutely don't need. :x mostly retro games. Prices have spiked lately, and my sister sold a lot of my old games while I was away from home, so I'm trying to buy a lot back.

For the most part I've bought back everything I miss except for a select few, so my spending has slowed down.

Years
  • Thankfully, no. I am the type of person who saves money more than spends it. Sure, it does get tempting sometimes while browsing Amazon and such, but I usually fight through it. Of course, its not to say I never shop online. I do treat myself from time to time :3

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I buy stuffs from online at times, when I bought some vouchers to buy some games on the eShop or when buying the apps from the Play Store. All of these depends if I have enough money or not, though.

Back