• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Natures? o:

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Sooo. Natures. They were introduced to Gen 3, and they've managed to make an interesting spin on raising Pokémon! As you may be aware, Natures are like the 'personality' of Pokemon. Whenever you catch, obtain, or hatch a new Pokemon, it comes with a given nature, and it effects how frequent a specific stat increases, or decreases.

These are the Natures, and their stat increase and decrease:

Spoiler:

For the discussion: Do you guys tend to look for specific natures for your Pokémon, while playing through the games? How much do you generally care about natures? Feel free to share any other thoughts too~

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Generally through my first play through of a new game, I don't hunt for specific natures in pokemon. I prefer to catch whatever I find and if it's the kind of pokemon I want to build into my play through team, I just throw it in and play as is. Also the real fun of Natures for me, I like to imagine my pokemon doing various actions or having an entire personality due to it's nature while I am playing through the game for the first time.

However... Once I beat the game and have finished the majority of the story line and I enter into post game, I hop into Breeding Mode. Once that happens I'm obsessed with natures.
    Currently I'm obsessed with trying to breed a "Impish" natured Pineco, once I accomplish that I can slap an everstone on that baby, pop it into the day care and breed away until I hit a 6/6.
    However until I get that Impish nature I can't move on to getting 6/6 spread. I know I'll get it soon, but until then all my game play time and thought process is all about getting that nature exactly right.

Natures make the game fun in both ways, they're fun and imaginative for those who like to feel more attached to their pokemon, but they're also fun for those who have that hardcore competitive streak in them. Pokemon Nature is an all around great game mechanic that almost any kind of pokemon player can enjoy.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2021
    I kinda care about natures a lot. One time in a hack I played, I had up to two boxes of Growlithe until I got a speed increasing nature that didn't decrease a offensive stat (so like Hasty/Naive). I kid you not, it took like 2 hours (on speed up mode).

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I focus on natures quite a bit in-game because to me it's worth it. It doesn't typically take an astronomically long time to catch/hatch a Pokemon with the nature you're looking for, and I'd rather spend a little extra time giving it a nature that will boost it's naturally high base stats and make it even more useful than rush through the game and not have those stat increases. They really can be helpful!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • When Natures were first introduced, I thought they were just cute flavour text type things. "Oh that's cute, my Rhydon is Gentle!" or "yeah, my Magikarp sure is Quirky!". In Gen IV when I learnt that Natures actually have an impact on stats I began to care about them a bit more but generally wouldn't go to the extent of only searching for particular natures. However in Gen V and VI there have been instances where I've kept searching for Pokémon for my team after catching ones with negative Natures in stats that are important for that Pokémon. If I played Competitively I'm sure I would focus on natures heaps because 10% is a massive change haha but I don't so I don't lose too much sleep over them.

Years
  • I don't really care too much about Pokemon natures as I tend to play more casually, but it's cool, how each Pokemon has a different 'personality' so to speak. The only time I've really cared about them was when I went through a sorta phase when I used to breed all the time.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I didn't care (or know, frankly) about how natures worked until B/W, and even then I didn't pay too much mind to them. It's really just since last year I started wanting certain natures for Pokemon I planned to use, and if I got one with a nature that wouldn't really help it all, I'd reset or just catch more.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've always thought that natures are really neat! They give your pokemon more personality, which I think is nice. That being said, I don't care for natures that much in-game? Sometimes a bad nature is super noticeable but most of the time, I can put up with it in-game. I do care about it when it comes to competitive battling but otherwise I can't say that I've ever paid too much attention to natures.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I care for natures a lot, but I tend to be cool with whatever is thrown at me. Of course, I don't like it when, like half of my team have bad natures, but thankfully my nature luck is okay. However, I confess, I restart the game if my starter has a bad nature. Even, or I'd say, especially for nuzruns. Let me say once when my starter had a bad nature... things didn't go well. I don't restart until it gets a really good one, just once it gets a workable one.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Y'know, I don't actually pay attention to natures when it comes to making up a team of Pokémon. I've never completely grasped the concept of them and I don't really know which ones are beneficial and which ones aren't. I'll look them up from time to time, but natures aren't something I'll go out my way to look for in Pokémon.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I always pay attention to beneficial nature as choosing a pokemon with low defense stats combined with -def/-sp def natures would make it easier for opposing team to abuse it as I tend to be more careful while capturing while sometimes don't care at all

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't care about natures when I'm just playing the game normally, unless it's a really bad one. Like if I wanted to use an Alakazam and I caught an Adamant Abra, I would try to find a new one because that wouldn't fly.

emilie777

Her Persona
    Years
  • When I first found out about natures I didn't have the slightest idea what they did or how to use them. Breeding for IVS and Natures and egg moves seemed too complicated so I stayed far away from it. I didn't actually start to care about it until this year when I wanted to beat all my friends who were playing. I looked into it a bit more and it's really fun once you learn because you can start planning your battle strategies! So fun!

Years
  • For the story I nab whatever and go with it. Usually the games aren't difficult enough to need certain natures so I casually play knowing I'll box those Pokémon and breed a better team later, for the more competitive things like Battle Maison and etc (or my own personal enjoyment). When that time comes natures become the most important thing haha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    For my in-game team, I don't worry much about natures unless a pokemon has one that's outright crippling. For example, I wouldn't want a physical attacker with a modest nature or a special attacker with an adamant one.

Years
  • I ain't got time for looking at natures! >:(

But seriously, that's usually a nonfactor for me. I think I tend to make a note for a moment about what the pokemon has, and then...instantly forget about it. As long as it can help take me through the game, I don't care what it has.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    When I'm playing through the game Natures I don't really bother with. I just usually go with the first Pokémon that appears. Competitively I care more about Natures, but I'm not a breeder so I usually just see if I get lucky in wonder trade for a random potentially good Pokémon.

Years
  • I usually accept what natures I get, but if it's something that's the absolute worst nature for that Pokemon (such as a Modest nature on a physical attacker) I will try and catch another one of that Pokemon for a better nature.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    I'm inconsistent with how I accept natures. Most of the time, I'll accept anything that doesn't decrease the main attacking stat, although I've used an Adamant Gengar and a Modest Heracross before, so *shrugs*.

Back